This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Aliens Exist

edited March 2011 in Science
Proof.

So what do you think? Does existance of simple life prove that there could be complex life?

Comments

• I remain doubtful until this study has been very thoroughly peer reviewed.
  • I remain doubtful because the article refers to Fox News.
  • I remain doubtful because the article refers to Fox News.
    Wouldn't Fox News want to disprove alien life? And prove a god created the universe and only gave this planet life?
  • edited March 2011
    Here's a better article
    Basically, though, just read the Pharyngula blog post on it here.
    I, too, was suspicious on hearing it was published in The Journal of Cosmology.

Put simply, this is highly likely to be bullshit.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I strongly believe that there is alien life out there in the universe, I just don't think we will meet them at any point in our life times.
  • Im getting ready. I have a bunch of water guns.
  • edited March 2011
    I strongly believe that there is alien life out there in the universe, I just don't think we will meet them at any point in our life times.
    Yeah, I quite agree. It is just a matter of how fucking long it takes to get anywhere in space.

An interesting question is this:
    Which is more likely to happen first, us finding other life or other life finding us?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I strongly believe that there is alien life out there in the universe, I just don't think we will meet them at any point in our life times.
    I agree but since I plan to travel the galaxy in a cyborg body on a space train I think it might be in my lifetime.
  • Which is more likely to happen first, us finding other life or other life finding us?
    I hope it's the first one, if they find us first, I don't see it ending well.
  • Which is more likely to happen first, us finding other life or other life finding us?
    Why?
  • Didn't you see the documentary Independence Day?
    Why?
    Stephen Hawking made an apt comparison a while back: if aliens find us on earth, the level of interaction will be similar to that between Christopher Columbus and the Native Americans - only this time we're the natives.
  • Sure, in terms of power, that's relatively clear. However, what would they stand to gain from us if their technology was already that far ahead?
  • Use us as a food source? Use our land? Take our women?
  • Stephen Hawking made an apt comparison a while back: if aliens find us on earth, the level of interaction will be similar to that between Christopher Columbus and the Native Americans - only this time we're the natives.
    Note to self - Do not take blankets from the aliens.
  • Use us as a food source? Use our land? Take our women?
    Once you have advanced space travel, are resources really an issue? Earthlike planets are not that rare in our universe, after all.
  • Once you have advanced space travel, are resources really an issue? Earthlike planets are not that rare in our universe, after all.
    Not to mention, if you're at the level of resources that you could visit other planets, you'd think you've be able to, say, mine pretty much any planet you like, from gas giants to little over-baked rocks and iceballs, not to mention asteroids, comets and the like.
  • Earthlike planets are probably not that rare in our universe, after all.
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'm as excited as you are, but we haven't actually confirmed any yet.

Also, Journal of Cosmology is shady at best.
  • The Journal of Cosmology.
    Looked up this journal. It had an article entitled Panspermia and the Origins of Life advertised as "recently published" on its front page.

So yeah, I'm calling shenanigans.
  • when I can touch an alien like I touch a woman, then I'll care. Untill then I'll be buffing my blast knuckles and stocking up on ammo for the invasion.
  • when I can touch an alien like I touch a woman, then I'll care.
    Inappropriately?
    Inappropriately?
    no, the kind of way you touch your first love, a gentle but swift movement toward her oozing tenticle, and then you latch onto it with your sweat drenched hands afraid of whats next, then she twists her digestive bristles into a smile and winks one of her swirling masses of smoke and liquid, she leans in and steals a kiss.
    that kind of touch.
    Inappropriately?
    no, the kind of way you touch your first love, a gentle but swift movement toward her oozing tenticle, and then you latch onto it with your sweat drenched hands afraid of whats next, then she twists her digestive bristles into a smile and winks one of her swirling masses of smoke and liquid, she leans in and steals a kiss.
    that kind of touch.
    That's the best bad touch, baby.
    Inappropriately?

I kiss my sweetie with my fist.
    Inappropriately?

I kiss my sweetie with my fist.
  • It is just a matter of how fucking long it takes to get anywhere in space.
    This is my pet-physics-hate. A lot of people cite relativity and it's intergalactic speed limit to suggest we are unlikely to run into any little green men.
    Relativity is probably, like Newtonian mechanics before it, an approximation to what is really going on.
    Newtonian mechanics was introduced in ~1687 and lasted until roughly 1905. So S/G relativity is a little green in comparison. My point being I'd wager we will see refinements on our model of mechanics that may introduce consequences even more crazy than the invariance of the speed of light.

I was working at Jodrell Bank when the that arctic meteorite from Mars story hit. Exciting day!
  • edited March 2011
    Relativity is probably, like Newtonian mechanics before it, an approximation to what is really going on.
    Yeah, scientists make no bones about this.
    Newtonian mechanics was introduced in ~1687 and lasted until roughly 1905. So S/G relativity is a little green in comparison. My point being I'd wager we will see refinements on our model of mechanics that may introduce consequences even more crazy than the invariance of the speed of light.
    What are you talking about? Newtonian Mechanics is still used today. People didn't just wake up one day and start using Relativity and Quantum for everything, Newtonian Mechanics is still a valid approximation of what is going on in certain situations which we have determined using the laws of Quantum and Relativistic mechanics. Certainly one day there will be an even better approximation of what goes on in the universe than even these models, this is what scientists and specifically Theoretical Physicists work on all day long. However, just because these models are approximations does not mean that one day you will just be able to break the lightspeed barrier with impunity, the lightspeed barrier is a very real thing that has been measured to the 12th decimal place in experiment after experiment, something akin to knowing the distance between San Francisco and New York to the width of human hair. And certainly these new approximations will have their own crazy consequences, but just because they will does not mean that thinking those consequences will be lollightspeedbarrierinvalid is not a good way to go about things and is almost certainly wrong for the reasons I stated above.

Isaac Asimov wrote an interesting paper that approximates my views on the subject very well.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • Thanks, Grey; I was going to reply but now I don't have to.