This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Otakon 2011

edited March 2011 in Conventions
Registration is open. I'll be attending this year, it'll be my first east coast convention. I know a portion of the 'Crew has more or less turned their back on this con, but I still hope that this will be an opportunity to finally meet some of you east coast forumites who do decide to go. And if you're on the fence, consider getting to meet me an extra incentive ~_^

Comments

• I am thinking about heading to this con myself, the last time I was there several years ago I have been burned but willing to give it another chance so I am interested to see if part of the crew is heading down to it.
  • I'm really thinking about going to back to Otakon after a year off, I had a lot of fun hanging with the Anime World order crew and Dave and Joel at Otakon in 2009. Definitely missed that in 2010. As much as I like PAX, I had gone to Otakon for 11 years barring last year. I definitely missed it.
  • I'll be happy to go if they cooperate. Unlike some people who have a zillion vacation days and stupidly do not use them, I don't have many. I have to be very frugal with them if I want to actually go anywhere. All the conventions we still go to are ones that are extremely cooperative with us in one way or another. Otakon is huge, and is actively the opposite of cooperative. Also, because they still don't mail the badges, it requires and extra vacation day to go down there on Thursday to get the badges. I went to Otakon every year from '02 to '09. I'll be happy to go back if they would just grease the wheels a bit.
  • Karl will be there and I will too. I probably won't do the whole Otakon pack-6-people-in-a-hotel-room, just probably commute in in the morning and leave at night.
  • I'll be happy to go if they cooperate. Unlike some people who have a zillion vacation days and stupidly do not use them,
    It's funny that someone who always talks about quality of life and how if a job doesn't give you what you need leave, you've stayed with this job with the crappy vacation time for a while.
  • It's funny that someone who always talks about quality of life and how if a job doesn't give you what you need leave, you've stayed with this job with the crappy vacation time for a while.
    Even if I had two months of vacation, I wouldn't be happy having to waste one getting to a convention a day early for no good reason. ;^)
  • Even if I had two months of vacation, I wouldn't be happy having to waste one getting to a convention a day early for no good reason. ;^)
    Why I decided getting to Otakon mid-Friday after the pre-reg line dissipates is perfectly fine with me.
  • It's funny that someone who always talks about quality of life and how if a job doesn't give you what you need leave, you've stayed with this job with the crappy vacation time for a while.
    I could easily change jobs at any time. There are no jobs I have ever seen that offer more vacation time that also offer sufficient moneys. If anything, they offer less vacation time. Most places give out vacation days based on years of service. Changing jobs means resetting to 0, again. If I were still working at the job I got out of college, I would have way more vacation now.
  • I am currently in the process of submitting my 3 panels. I hope I at least get one this year.
  • I could easily change jobs at any time. There are no jobs I have ever seen that offer more vacation time that also offer sufficient moneys. If anything, they offer less vacation time. Most places give out vacation days based on years of service. Changing jobs means resetting to 0, again. If I were still working at the job I got out of college, I would have way more vacation now.
    That really puts tech people at a disadvantage at least in the modern, have no loyalty move to a different company whenever you get a chance.
  • have no loyalty move to a different company whenever you get a chance.
    Once you hit a senior position, you start anywhere else with the same perks. Vacation days are something I demand as part of negotiations with a new company. I wouldn't accept less than a month's worth anywhere new.
  • Yeah, I was under the impression that someone with Scott's skills could negotiate a contract for himself that bypassed all the mundane things that ordinary people have to deal with. So he's working somewhere that doesn't bequeath him infinite money, infinite holiday, and infinite benefits because he is just so awesome? I am disappoint.
  • Yeah, I was under the impression that someone with Scott's skills could negotiate a contract for himself that bypassed all the mundane things that ordinary people have to deal with. So he's working somewhere that doesn't bequeath him infinite money, infinite holiday, and infinite benefits because he is just so awesome? I am disappoint.
    I'm expecting some thread necromancy for the Rules of Scott Rubin very shortly.
    Just because you can get a job anywhere at any time, doesn't mean you can get any job.
    Just because you can get a job anywhere at any time, doesn't mean you can get any job.
    Is that your claim? You can get a job anywhere at any time?

I just want to file that away for possible future use. Please feel free to continue the regularly scheduled topic.
  • Is that your claim? You can get a job anywhere at any time?
    Every time I've entered the job market, I have received multiple offers in a matter of weeks. I know you're hoping and waiting for a complete economic apocalypse, just so you can bust out your "I told you so." Keep waiting.
  • I have received multiple offers in a matter of weeks.
    Then you should have used the multiple offers to negotiate better vacation time :-p
    Then you should have used the multiple offers to negotiate better vacation time :-p
    It's extremely difficult to do so when you are a new hire. If you didn't have that vacation at your previous job, they don't feel like they need to give it to you now. They'll all say something like they'll consider it in the future after they see how you work and such. I'm definitely going to push for it next time I get a chance.
    I think his negotiating skills lie at a lower level than we've been led to believe.
  • Back on topic guys. Make a new thread if you want to fight about something stupid. ;^)
  • Back on topic guys. Make a new thread if you want to fight about something stupid. ;^)
    Every thread has to be a call out on Scott on some stupid BS :-p

Anyhow, I'm thinking as long as my funds are in order (which may not be the case with a wedding in September) I'll be there.
  • Anyhow, I'm thinking as long as my funds are in order (which may not be the case with a wedding in September) I'll be there.
    We'll go for panels if they don't reject them, but I can't see myself offering to help as staff ever again unless there are serious changes inside of the organization.
  • Anyhow, I'm thinking as long as my funds are in order (which may not be the case with a wedding in September) I'll be there.
    Why not consider a Saturday day trip in that case?
  • Why not consider a Saturday day trip in that case?
    I'm actually not a fan of going for a day. Part of the convention for me is the night wandering and the random stuff that goes on early and late. Sorta like how when you commute to college you miss out part of the experience.
  • RymRym
    edited March 2011
    Why not consider a Saturday day trip in that case?
    A one-day trip to Baltimore? That's a lot of driving/riding for such little benefit. 7 hours of travel for one day of convention (with no time to linger over dinner or do anything late at night).

There's also the fact that basically no one from the crew is going except the locals down there by and large. Gone are the days of the entire FRC meeting at Otakon.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • A one-day trip to Baltimore? That's a lot of driving/riding for such little benefit. 7 hours of travel for one day of convention (with no time to linger over dinner or do anything late at night).
    I wasn't suggesting it for you, just Scojo.
  • I wasn't suggesting it for you, just Scojo.
    EVERYTHING IS ABOUT RYM DON'T YOU KNOW!
  • Hm. I might be up for this. It'll depend on what I'm doing about Pennsic.
    Pete never has the lack of vacation excuse :-p
    Pete never has the lack of vacation excuse :-p
    Pete makes me strongly consider a government job.