This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Episode 26 - Shaving

edited December 2005 in Everything Else
Do you shave your face? How about your legs? What equipment and what techniques do you use?

Comments

• I abandoned the mach 3 shortly after that article was published.

badger brush + classic safety razor + lavender shaving cream (taylor of old bond)

The mach 3 is the windows of razors.

Modern "classic shaving" is the tried-and-true UNIX of razors with modern sensibilities, making it the linux of razors.

pwned.

Remember, you can get a few extra days out of the razor by flipping it over. It's like rotating your tires. Also, clean it very well after each use, or gunk will build up and degrade the quality.

I'm on my 3rd pack of razors since February. 3 packs per year at 5 bucks each. Eat me, Gilette.
  • I'm still on my first pack period since um, May? April? I forget. I flip the razor over while shaving all the time to use both sides evenly. Shave, flip, shave, rinse. That way I can shave faster with less rinsing since rinsing both edges takes no longer than rinsing just one.
  • I still use my old crap electric razor, but I've been thinking more and more about switching over to the classic shaving. What specific equipment do you guys use? I'm thinking stuff available on classicshaving.com.
  • edited December 2005
    We just listened to this guy. His advice was good.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845/
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I ignored this article when you guys first pointed it out, didn't really have a need or money to persue it. Think I might switch to this now.
  • This isn't just for men, you know. There are women who shave their legs this way as well.
  • Well, I'm taking the plunge. Ordered up a brush, an open-comb style razor, some blades, and sandalwood cream. We'll see how this goes.
  • Yeah, I am going to try this as well. I have always hated shaving, but I think that is just because of how shitty shaving with cheap razors and shaving cream is. After seeing you guys have good luck and from reading the articles, it sounds like it is going to be a whole lot better. Lisa is certainly not going to complain if I actually like it and start shaving every day.
  • I concur; shaving with cheap razors was always a colossal pain in the ass. That's actually why I had a beard for most of my college career; I had become so fed up with shaving in general that I swore it off.

Once I get my stuff and try it for the first time, I'll recount my experiences. Should be interesting, since my shaving experience before has only been with craptacular razors.
  • I remember the day my razor arrived. I'd abstained from shaving that morning in expectation, so I could get started immediately. The difference was immediately evident. Even with beginner's hands, it was the closest and most comfortable shave I'd ever had.

Of couse, be sure to observe the following:

Use HOT water. Have a washcloth handy to soak your face a bit with.

Fill the sink or basin with hot water. Rinse the blade frequently.

Use SHORT strokes. The thinker your facial hair, the shorter.

Keep everything WET. Your face, the razor, the brush: water is the most important factor here.

Shave WITH the grain of your hair. If you desire a closer shave after doing so, shave carefully again against the grain. Going against the grain should not be practiced by people who are prone to ingrown hairs.

You will likely have trouble with the chin. Regardless, no not increase pressure: simply shave the area in its entirety twice.

Use little or no pressure on the blade.

After shaving, use COLD water to rinse.

When rinsing, dab or splash: never scrub.

Avoid harsh aftershaves. A cream or nothing at all is better.
  • I've had enough experience with scalpels and other incredibly sharp instruments to understand the concept of applying no pressure. Just a matter of actually doing it, I guess.

A question: when applying the shaving cream to the face, should one use an up-and-down stroke or a circular motion? Does it make a difference?
  • I apply it in a circular fashion. You'll rub the brush around quite a bit working up a nice lather on the face. The foam should completely obscure the hair you're planning to shave.
  • Thought I'd share a little tale.

I don't normally plug things unless I think they're good, so right now, I'm plugging www.classicshaving.com as a great place to get your classic shaving supplies.

I submitted my order a little while ago, and today, I just got done talking to customer service. Seems my sandalwood shaving cream was out of stock. They had tried to contact me during work hours, when I'm least likely to answer my phone, and became slightly concerned that I might not be able to reply to them. So they took the liberty of substituting avocado scented cream in place of the sandalwood, and are sending me a complimentary puck of their sandalwood hard soap, just in case I really, really wanted sandalwood.

So yeah. Cool people.
  • I declare the shaving experiment a success. I've never gotten a closer shave in my life, and I suffer far, FAR less irritation.

A word of warning: I shave against the grain, because I have some stubborn hair. When you shave against the grain, go slowly and carefully; it's a great way to get a super close shave, and it's especially good for shaving neck hair, but it will cause more irritation.
  • I second pete's success. I just did my first classic chave, and I can say for sure I will never go back to a disposable or electric razor. I think this is the first time in a long time that I haven't cut myself even a little, the safety razor was really easy to use, though holding it at the right angle will take some getting used to.

Shaving my chin with the beard is a bit difficult, but not much more so then the old razors were.
  • I'm thinking about this but I'm worried about slashing my carotid and dying a pointless death.
  • Oh, your death wouldn't be totally pointless; you'd probably be a Fark headline, giving people amusement from your untimely demise.

It's actually really hard to cut yourself, I've found. The couple of times I've cut myself, it's actually a pimple that I ran over, or a bump from an ingrown hair or some other irritation. When I shave against the grain, I wind up with a couple of nicks, but again, that's from irritation more than anything else.
  • "The couple of times I've cut myself, it's actually a pimple"

I'm 18...

I listen to an mp3cast called "GeekNights"
  • There's a reason it's called a safety razor. You can't seriously cut yourself unless you try hard or screw up bad. After many months of use I've cut myself very rarely. Only the discontinued Shick Protector razor cut me less.
  • Well, RE, what I meant is that I cut the PIMPLE, not my face. It bleeds for about a quarter second and then heals up.

Cutting your face with this sucker is almost impossible, unless you press down. I'm even using the open-comb model, which is marginally more dangerous than the standard, and I apply very light pressure. No cuts.
  • Awesome, I'll order one soon.

Anybody know any good UK sites to get one from?
  • The place where I bought my stuff is http://www.classicshaving.com, and they ship worldwide. The brand of shaving cream I use is Taylor of old Bond Street, and they're based out of London. http://www.tayloroldbondst.co.uk/

That might be what you're looking for.
  • Does anybody have a good idea of another brand that can be trusted, and another shop? They're out of the razor that everyone recommends, is there another good choice?
  • http://shop.store.yahoo.com/internationalcutlery/rzors.html
  • edited January 2006
    As it should be no surprise, I've yet another concurrence to add to Pete's. I just got mine set in the mail last night, ordered from classicshaving.com. Just finished the first trial, and it worked wonderfully.

Of course, now I smell like almonds.
    Post edited by Pilitus on
  • Pfft.

Avocado is where it's at.
  • Interestingly enough, this is my favorite podcast so far...my boyfriend has been looking into geting a straight razor-type thing, but I'm going to try to get him to go this way. Cheaper and less like to lose me a boyfriend.
  • Hypoallergenic - unscented in the house. I smell like human being.
  • Human being, you mean sweat?
  • I don't know about you, but my face doesn't sweat so much. And I have deoderant to help out in areas where sweat might come out. I know it's not the case for all people, but my natural non-sweaty odor is not rancid. And I have no need to replace it with something else. And while sweat is possible, it usually only appears when it is very hot out or when I'm physically extra active. That's not so often. Especially sitting here being bored at work.