This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nintendo 3DS

Comments

• Not buying it doesn't prevent our uninformed opinion from getting through to the listeners. It's quite simple. Not worth $250.
  • $250 eh? It's fair to assume it'll be 2500Kr/$428 for us then. Not worth it. I'll wait for 3DS Light and import the Japanese version (or not, depending on the lineup at that point.) I'm still cautiously optimistic about the PSP2 though.
  • But do you realise that the 3DS lite will most likely be $250 as well? You stated just above that $250 was too much for the 3DS, wait for the lite.
    The Lite will exist in a world containing a much larger and more proven library of games. The first many months of the original DS were months filled with lame remakes and generally shit games. Nintendo never achieved even a quarter of the potential of the DS and the Wii, and what little they strove for didn't shine until much later. It is unreasonable to believe that Nintendo will bring anything different to the plate with the 3DS.

Where Nintendo was once the "buy sight-unseen" console maker, they are now, for me, relegated back to the "prove why I should buy you" camp. Their once famous innovation started stalling after they dropped the momentum of the GBA/GC link games to focus on a waggle-based economy.
    Not buying it doesn't prevent ouruninformedopinion from getting through to the listeners. It's quite simple. Not worth $250.
    So you can't imagine a world where we will play and test 3DSs without personally each owning one? There was relatively little to say about the DS when it first game out. "Great, a poorly-controlled Mario 64 remake!"
  • But Rym, the 3DS's revolutionary technologies are poised to change gaming forever!
  • I held one in my hand today.

Verdict? I don't think it's right for me. The 3D effect is stunning and I give Nintendo an incredible amount of props for bringing no-glasses 3D to market, but being that I really do not need another console in my life right now, this was going to be a tough sell. The dealbreaker was that it does not work well unless you are viewing it dead-on. For a mobile console, I am playing in all sorts of positions and environments. Will I be able to maintain a dead-on view when laying down? You can turn the 3D off, but then why bother buying 3DS?

If you've got the money and must have the flashiest new thing, you are going to enjoy it because it is cool, but this is not a must-buy gadget by any stretch of the means.
  • You can turn the 3D off, but then why bother buying 3DS?
    isn't it also like a ton more powerful then the DSi?
  • isn't it also like a ton more powerful then the DSi?
    From what I can tell, it is pretty damn close graphic-wise to at least the Gamecube, if not the Wii.
  • isn't it also like a ton more powerful then the DSi?
    From what I can tell, it is pretty damn close graphic-wise to at least the Gamecube, if not the Wii.
    It looks prettier than the Wii to me. Kid Icarus: Uprising is gorgeous. I could see it on the Wii, I guess.
  • Well, I got a pre-order of it for my birthday, since I missed completely of the DS generation, I might as well use it to catch up to the DS games I haven't played until good 3DS games come out.
  • edited January 2011
    Tenku no Kishi Rodea is crossplatform on Wii and 3DS. Apparently the Wii version currently looks better, but the game can still run on the 3DS, and probably while being rendered twice for the 3D effect.
    http://www.rodea.jp/ (The site has screenshots (from the Wii version) if you click on 'ゲーム紹介', and it doesn't look bad at all for a Wii game.)
    Post edited by Aria on
  • Hm yeah they graphical increase is definitely true, and something I did not consider because I have gotten to the point that I don't really weigh graphics too heavily when looking at mobile games. If that is your thing, the 3DS definitely is sporting some nice visuals in-between GC and Wii.
  • This is very smart. I've never gotten into it myself, but both of the retro gaming podcasts I used to listen to had hosts that gushed over it. Leads me to believe they have an extremely loyal niche audience, so it'll help the 3DS get some more buy-in.
  • What podcasts were they? I need some more retro gaming podcasts. The only one I used to listen to is Retronauts on 1up, but they haven't done an episode in ages.
  • What podcasts were they? I need some more retro gaming podcasts. The only one I used to listen to is Retronauts on 1up, but they haven't done an episode in ages.
    Yeah the past tense "used to listen to" is sadly because neither of them are putting out new episodes. Retronauts and Bit Transmission (which was itself a reboot of an even older retro gaming podcast). I like them both but haven't replaced them with anything. There's a site "Retrogaming with Racketboy" that writes some pretty good posts and also has a podcast, but I've never listened to it.
  • http://www.geek.com/articles/games/nintendo-reserves-the-right-to-brick-your-3ds-if-piracy-detected-2011037/

Is Nintendo going to intentionally brick any 3DS that has an R4 in it? That's fucked up.
  • I should mention I played some 3DS at GDC. What I can say is that it works, but I'm not sold on it like I was when I picked up and played the DS for the first time.
  • I should mention I played some 3DS at GDC. What I can say is that it works, but I'm not sold on it like I was when I picked up and played the DS for the first time.
    Yeah, I'm definitely going to play some at PAX East.
    I had the same feeling when I tried Nintendogs on it in Japan. I was let down that the 3D effect did not hold up unless I was looking directly into the screen. It looks awesome when you are using it properly, but mobile consoles should maximize convenience of use.
    I had the same feeling when I tried Nintendogs on it in Japan. I was let down that the 3D effect did not hold up unless I was looking directly into the screen. It looks awesome when you are using it properly, but mobile consoles should maximize convenience of use.
    So you turn down the 3D to 2D when you're playing on a train or something, I seem to recall there's a rule that all 3DS games should be playable in 2D.
    So you turn down the 3D to 2D when you're playing on a train or something, I seem to recall there's a rule that all 3DS games should be playable in 2D.
    Of course this is what I would do. It would be just as good as a DS in that situation, and the DS is an awesome device. I already own one though.
  • Has anyone read the Engadget review yet?

"The biggest 3DS disappointment is absolutely the battery life. The 1,300mAh battery is 30 percent larger than the one in the DS Lite but simply cannot deliver the same sort of longevity we've come to expect from previous Nintendo consoles, topping out for us at three hours and fifteen minutes with WiFi enabled."

Nintendo 3ds Review - Japanese
    Of course this is what I would do. It would be just as good as a DS in that situation, and the DS is an awesome device. I already own one though.
    But the 3DS is much more powerful. We just need to hope that power is used for awesome instead of primarily being used to make really bad ports of console games like what happened with the PSP.
  • Does anyone else get a headache from viewing digital 3D videos for an extended period of time?
    I can't wait to try the 3DS at PAX with the 3D turned off.
  • edited March 2011
    Has anyone read the Engadget review yet?
    I read it a few days ago...and it makes me have mixed feelings about the 3DS now. The 3 hour battery is definitely lame. However, the only times I ever really need that much juice are on really long car rides, which are fairly rare for me. The charging dock is nice, though. I'm also sad that they trashed on the camera. I was really looking forward to taking some sweet 3D pictures and video, but that review makes it sound like it really isn't that cool, which is a damn shame.
    Some start recoiling in horror long before their eyes have adjusted, others can start to get into it but then find themselves crippled by headaches, while others still never want to put the thing down.
    This worries me, too. There's no way I'm going to buy this on launch unless I get at least a few hours of playtime on the 3DS before it comes out (which I kinda doubt I'll have the opportunity to do). I really hope I fall into the "still never want to put it down" category, but I don't want to risk it.
    We just need to hope that power is used for awesome instead of primarily being used to make really bad ports of console games like what happened with the PSP.
    Hold up...bad ports? Are you fucking kidding/trolling? FFT: War of the Lions, Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness, the Phantom Brave port, Star Ocean First Departure and Second Evolution and numerous other ports have gotten lots of acclaim as being nothing but improvements over the originals. Plus, there's fucking Patapon. Over the years I've really come to love the PSP. What the PSP did wrong was that it had a bad launch price, and tried to do way to many things other than gaming (which I'm also worried that Nintendo might try to do with the 3DS).
    I say bring on the ports.

After reading the review and looking at the launch titles, I don't think I'm going to get the 3DS at launch. I don't like the price, the battery life, or the fact that the 3D might suck...not to mention the launch lineup is pretty lame. I got the GBA and DS at launch, but there were at least games I was interested in. I got F-Zero Maximum Velocity for GBA when I got it. I got Super Mario 64 DS at launch. For 3DS I would get....Steel Diver? Street Fighter? I'm not so sure if those are worth justifying $250.
    On that note, I'm definitely getting the 3DS once Ocarina of Time comes out for it, no questions asked. I just don't think I'm going to jump on it right at launch.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah, once I saw how the backwards compatibility works, I had mixed feelings too. I wanted it at launch to play all the DS games I missed. ._.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Wait what's going on with backward compatibility? I was under the impression that it could play any and all original DS carts...
  • rtWe just need to hope that power is used for awesome instead of primarily being used to make really bad ports of console games like what happened with the PSP.
    Hold up...bad ports? Are you fucking kidding/trolling? FFT: War of the Lions, Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness, the Phantom Brave port, Star Ocean First Departure and Second Evolution and numerous other ports have gotten lots of acclaim as being nothing but improvements over the originals. Plus, there's fucking Patapon. Over the years I've really come to love the PSP. What the PSP did wrong was that it had a bad launch price, and tried to do way to many things other than gaming (which I'm also worried that Nintendo might try to do with the 3DS).
    I say bring on the ports.

I'm talking about the ports like Splinter Cell and From Russia With Love and NBA 2K11 and UFC Undisputed 2010 and all of the many, many other dreadful ports of console games that sludged down the PSP game library, especially early on, and took the system from the promising heights that made Best Buy decide to make custom hard plastic cases to protect the games from being stolen to being a rack or two of games and Sony basically holding a firesale to clear the stock. Yes, there are awesome ports on there, but they are all of old, hardcore Japanese games that do not sell to the mainstream while games like Spinter Cell did and left a sour taste in people's mouths about the console. The 3DS cannot allow this to happen or they will mega fail.
  • It doubt it will. Right now they're looking at making true 3D remakes of N64 games. I don't think they're going to try to port anything from the Wii anytime soon. Gamecube? Maybe... Also remember that the DS has some shitty versions of console games on it (like COD, and probably others but that's all I can think of right now).
  • It doubt it will. Right now they're looking at making true 3D remakes of N64 games. I don't think they're going to try to port anything from the Wii anytime soon. Gamecube? Maybe... Also remember that the DS has some shitty versions of console games on it (like COD, and probably others but that's all I can think of right now).
    I would pay pretty much any amount of money for a 3DS remake of Majoras Mask, Wind Waker, and Tales of Symphonia. And maybe Luigi's Mansion, for the nostalgia.