This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East Withdrawal

edited March 2011 in Conventions
PAX East was a blast! I'm sure everyone here who was able to go will agree with me. I got to see so many things, play lots of boardgames, and even got a chance to meet Rym and Scott! I wanted to thank you guys for inviting my friend and I to play games with you on Saturday evening. I actually had my doubts about Bananagrams... but of course I was wrong! Also, I wanted to ask you guys what the name of the other game we played. It consisted of circular cards with pictures on them and if you found a picture on your card that matched the card in the middle, you would shout out that item and place your card in the middle. You also referenced the game as a "baby game".

Anybody want to post their PAX East adventures or thoughts here?

Comments

• It consisted of circular cards with pictures on them and if you found a picture on your card that matched the card in the middle, you would shout out that item and place your card in the middle. You also referenced the game as a "baby game".
    Even though I didn't play it, I'm pretty sure you are referring to Spot It. I want to buy this game after I buy 7 Wonders.

I just miss hanging out with people on the forum, especially the females. Nuri/Lyddi/Ro drinking girl talk time 4ever!
  • Even though I didn't play it, I'm pretty sure you are referring to Spot It. I want to buy this game after I buy 7 Wonders.

I just miss hanging out with people on the forum, especially the females. Nuri/Lyddi/Ro drinking girl talk time 4ever!

That's it! Thanks! I especially loved playing the ass-hole version =P
  • You also referenced the game as a "baby game".
    The game itself isn't a baby game, you were probably playing the baby mode (tower) as opposed to the asshole version.
  • That's it! Thanks! I especially loved playing the ass-hole version =P
    I submit that the non-asshole versions are a better metric of Spot-It skill, as the asshole version is just a "who don't you want to win" game. However, it's still massively fun.

Dammit, I miss PAX East. Thanks to going home for spring break, I've had basically no human contact since Monday.
  • I had post con depression pretty bad after this. I still do. Luckily, I found a weekly board gaming club and a shop that sells board games in Eastern Market!
  • I submit that the non-asshole versions are a better metric of Spot-It skill, as the asshole version is just a "who don't you want to win" game. However, it's still massively fun.
    I would agree, except that the skill maximum in asshole mode is higher. Why? Because in order to be the best at it, you have to keep track of how many cards everyone else has.

So, not only do you need to process matches in order to win, you need to get matches with the correct player.
  • I actually had my doubts about Bananagrams... but of course I was wrong!
    This is a problem I have been trying to solve for awhile. It seems like many people are skeptical and hesitant to try out new tabletop games. It's like they are scared to even sit down at the table. It takes a whole lot of goading to get someone to just sit down and try something. Of course we are always right. Everyone loves the good tabletop games once we get their foot in the door.

All you people who are hesitant to sit down at the table, what can we do to trick, er, encourage you to try out new tabletop games?
  • I submit that the non-asshole versions are a better metric of Spot-It skill, as the asshole version is just a "who don't you want to win" game. However, it's still massively fun.
    I would agree, except that the skill maximum in asshole mode is higher. Why? Because in order to be the best at it, you have to keep track of how many cards everyone else has.

So, not only do you need to process matches in order to win, you need to get matches with the correct player.
    But in asshole mode it's relatively easy for lower-skill players to make it nearly impossible to win, if they all try to give you cards. Admittedly, you could argue that skill at misdirecting the other players is then also called for, but I think that non-asshole is the best metric of pure Spot-It skill.

But in asshole mode it's relatively easy for lower-skill players to make it nearly impossible to win, if they all try to give you cards. Admittedly, you could argue that skill at misdirecting the other players is then also called for, but I think that non-asshole is the best metric of pure Spot-It skill.
    Linkigi is absolutely correct. Asshole mode may be more fun in a social way, but it is definitely a game of less skill. Your ability to be inconspicuous is more important than your ability to Spot It!
  • edited March 2011
    Your ability to be inconspicuous is more important than your ability to Spot It!
    Hm, this is a good point.
    All you people who are hesitant to sit down at the table, what can we do to trick, er, encourage you to try out new tabletop games?
    You need to be enthusiastic without being too forceful or arrogant. It takes a certain degree of tact. You have to engage the person in conversation first, and challenge them a little bit. That will get their attention and pique their curiosity.

When I pitch Danger Patrol to someone, I often say something like, "Actually, I dunno. It's pretty dangerous. Are you sure you can handle it?" Something to that effect. Gently rib someone once you've got their attention. It's like setting the hook when you're fishing. Present the bait, then drive it home.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Your ability to be inconspicuous is more important than your ability to Spot It!
    Hm, this is a good point.
    Point in case: Lyddi.
  • When I pitch Danger Patrol to someone, I often say something like, "Actually, I dunno. It's pretty dangerous. Are you sure you can handle it?" Something to that effect. Gently rib someone once you've got their attention. It's like setting the hook when you're fishing. Present the bait, then drive it home.
    I think Danger Patrol is much easier to sell than my boxes of wooden cubes.
  • edited March 2011
    No, you just have to find the right pitch.

Step one is to chat with them. Make the conversation about them. Find out a little about what they like. This should take 20 - 30 seconds at the most. Next is to figure out how best to pitch the game to them. Some people are going to be hooked more readily by the theme of the game, and some people will be more readily hooked by mechanics. You need to figure out which type of person they are and pitch accordingly.

The next step is to get them to play. If they're still there, I like to change my tone subtly to one that implies that they've already agreed to play. Most people have a hard time walking away from a situation like that. Maybe you hand them some pieces for demonstration purposes, have them move some things around the board. Then, you sit down with everyone else and say "OK, let's get playing."

Once that's done, you have new players.

The real key is to not make your pitch too aggressive. You either come on too strong or not at all, and that's a problem. Rym can be a little overwhelming, but he's pretty good at getting people to do things.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I like to change my tone subtly to one that implies that they've already agreed to play.
    AHA! That's the trick I need. I usually ask people "do you want to play?" and that's when they hesitate. I'll try it out at Zenkaikon tomorrow.
  • I actually had my doubts about Bananagrams... but of course I was wrong!
    This is a problem I have been trying to solve for awhile. It seems like many people are skeptical and hesitant to try out new tabletop games. It's like they are scared to even sit down at the table. It takes a whole lot of goading to get someone to just sit down and try something. Of course we are always right. Everyone loves the good tabletop games once we get their foot in the door.

I wasn't hesitant to sit down and play, I just suck at regular scrabble =P I assumed my lack of skill might make the game unenjoyable for me. Thankfully, I was wrong =D
  • AHA! That's the trick I need. I usually ask people "do you want to play?" and that's when they hesitate. I'll try it out at Zenkaikon tomorrow.
    I'm straight up going to warn you, I'm way better at that then you are. But give it a shot! Just don't be forceful or obvious about it. It's the subtle transition that makes the trick work.
  • When I pitch Danger Patrol to someone, I often say something like, "Actually, I dunno. It's pretty dangerous. Are you sure you can handle it?" Something to that effect. Gently rib someone once you've got their attention. It's like setting the hook when you're fishing. Present the bait, then drive it home.
    Hit them over the head with a heavy box of wooden cubes (shit, The Climbers must weight ten pounds). When they come to, have them tied to the chair and the game set up already.
  • This is a problem I have been trying to solve for awhile. It seems like many people are skeptical and hesitant to try out new tabletop games. It's like they are scared to even sit down at the table.
    And then you have people like me, who buy games with the reason "I heard Rym and Scott talk about this, and they made it sound fun.".