This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nintendo 3DS

Comments

• I doubt Symphonia will ever hit the 3DS, but Tales of the Abyss is hitting the 3DS. I'm not sure if it's going to get released in NA, but if it does I'll be on it in a heartbeat.

Also, I second you on all the Zelda games. I've only played ALTTP and some of the original Zelda. I haven't played any of the others, so 3D remakes of all of them would get me to buy them for sure. I'm super pumped for OOT.
  • It doubt it will. Right now they're looking at making true 3D remakes of N64 games. I don't think they're going to try to port anything from the Wii anytime soon. Gamecube? Maybe... Also remember that the DS has some shitty versions of console games on it (like COD, and probably others but that's all I can think of right now).
    True it does, but that was not the focus of the system right off. Most of the games for the PSP in the first few years were mostly bad PS2 ports.
  • PAX East was really the first time I held a DSi and it really made my DS Phat feel old. But I'm still not sure about the 3DS. Also, there won't be a 3DS as cool as this:

So tempting >_
  • The DS phat is definitely garbage. The DS lite was such a significant improvement to it that there's really not much of an excuse to still have a DS phat unless you are really that tight on money.
    Also, there won't be a 3DS as cool as this:
    Not yet at least. Nintendo has had a lot of amazing collectors edition bundles for GBC, GBA, and DS so far. I can't imagine they won't with the 3DS as well. On that note, I might hold out on buying a 3DS until an awesome bundle goes on the market.
  • The DS phat is definitely garbage. The DS lite was such a significant improvement to it that there's really not much of an excuse to still have a DS phat unless you are really that tight on money.
    Come on, how much better could the Lite or DSi be above the original. The main improvement is how thin they are and a slightly bigger screen, right?
  • I've now played extensively with a 3DS. (Rather than wait hours at PAX, there are a ton of them with no line all week in Grand Central Terminal across the street from work).

Meh. The 3D effect is fantastic, but definitely causes eyestrain at the maximum setting. It also breaks immediately if you tilt your viewing angle even the tiniest horizontal distance. The device is heavier than the DS, but sleeker by far. The screen is great if you turn off the 3D entirely, and the analog stick works perfectly.

If this were the Nintendo of 2004, I would buy it without a second glance, as I did with the original DS. As it stands, I have zero faith in Nintendo to have any must-play or substantially innovative games on the platform for at least a year, if not longer. There is thus zero reason for me to buy one any time soon. My DS was worthless for a long time after I bought it.
  • Leaps and bounds. Leaps and bounds. While I was working at gamestop, we had a DS Phat that employees could use when it was slow. That thing was a mountain compared to the DS lite I have now.

Anyway, back to the 3ds, I don't see myself buying one until I try it first. My next DS will much more likely be the DSi.
    Come on, how much better could the Lite or DSi be above the original. The main improvement is how thin they are and a slightly bigger screen, right?
    The lite is a huge leap over the original DS. Sonic and others are not exaggerating. You also got a boost in screen brightness (and the ability to adjust it), and an extra 6+ hours of battery life.

As for 3DS, I also can't see myself buying one. The 3D breaking on anything but a perfect head angle, plus the low battery life and increased weight, are all necessary evils of having a cool high-powered graphics machine. I already own a PC and an Xbox 360 though! I want my portable to maximize its convenience factors above all else. This is why I didn't buy a PSP.
    Screw you, my phat has served me extremely well thank you very much.
  • Hmm...for some reason, my 3D viewing angle was relatively large. I was able to angle the 3DS a few degrees in all directions while still retaining the 3D effect.

I'm sure everyone will have differing experiences with that.
  • I was able to angle the 3DS a few degrees in all directions while still retaining the 3D effect.
    It's retained, but it's much deeper straight-on.
    Screw you, my phat has served me extremely well thank you very much.
    My Phat has served me faithfully for years, I will mourn the day when I finally set it aside in favor of another handheld.

Also, played the 3DS for about 15 minutes after waiting in a 20-minute line. I found it really difficult to keep the 3DS in line so that I would see the 3D, instead of the screen just being blurry. When I got it to work, it was a really cool effect, but its possibly too much effort for a portable device.

Kid Icarus was massively fun during the flying, rail-shooter portions, but the camera control while on the ground has a very steep learning curve.
  • edited March 2011
    I guess if you still have a phat at this point you might as well hold onto it. Gamestop will give you jack shit for it, and no one will buy it on eBay or Craigslist. When there are lites on Craigslist for $50, who would even consider buying a phat (on that note, if you have $50 to blow, do yourself a favor...)?
    How much better could the Lite or DSi be above the original?
    This is just for the lite:
    - slightly bigger screens
    - thinner and lighter, actually looks like there was some thought put into the design
    - 4 (I think...) different settings of screen brightness vs. the DS's "on" or "off" (and good luck actually playing any games with it turned off) settings. Also worth noting- the darkest setting on the DS lite is what the DS phat's screen brightness is normally. I usually use setting 2 or 3 with the lite. I can't even go back to the original DS because the screen seems so dark.
    - longer battery life.
    - better stylus. Think this is trivial? If you're playing a game that is stylus intensive, this matters. I can't go back to using the phat's stylus.

The ONLY gripe I have with the DS lite vs. the DS phat is that GBA carts fit flush with the phat, but they stick out a little bit on the lite.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I just found this on Joystiq - someone made a 22-foot reproduction of one of the 3DS AR cards, and made a Mii of truly epic proportions. Now that's the kind of thing they could use to sell systems!
  • I tried out the 3DS at Best Buy. It was some sort of flying game. At max 3D settings, I was having a hard time focusing on the game. The middle setting seemed optimal. Even though the new toy is very shiny and pretty, I am conflicted on whether or not to trade in my DSi now when the value is worth more vs later on.
  • The DS Lite and the DSi are the best handhelds ever made, and I am pretty sure the 3DS will prove me right. I will likely still get one, though.
  • Heard a great corny joke today: "Turns out you can't see the 3D effects on a 3DS with one eye closed. Looks like Nintendo's really cracking down on pirates."
  • Might be better to hold onto your DSi for now, Ro.
    Oh thanks for the info. I will show this to my boyfriend, who is planning on buying one next week because this bumper buttons are not longer working on his DSi.
  • Any chance on DSi price drops after the 3DS launches?
  • I would guess $30 drop.
  • Weekend Confimed has a review on their podcast this week. They were generally positive aside from the weird issue of DS games not looking great. The system can receive updates like the PSP does, though, so there is a possibility of them patching it or adding a filter.
  • Just more info contemplating for anyone thinking about trading in for a 3DS, Kotaku says there is apparently a fix for DS games being fuzzy on your 3DS. It's up to you whether you consider having to play with your brightness settings every time you want to play a DS game worth it or not.
  • Has anyone played Steel Diver? Apparently it is an original first-party Nintendo property. I also no longer have blind faith in Nintendo first-party titles, but they do still hold a large amount of appeal, especially if they are trying to show off the capabilities of a new platform.
  • So, the launch date in America came and went... did anyone get one?
    Unfortunately not.
    Dave Riley did. Hopefully on their next podcast he will talk about it.
  • edited March 2011
    I just looked at the current games list and realized that all the "launch" titles anyone was actually anticipating(LoZ: OoT, Kid Icarus, Star Fox, etc.) weren't even available at launch. I don't even see release dates for them on the Nintendo website. The only even remotely interesting launch titles is SSF:IV. And perhaps, if you're me, Bust-A-Move. But there's basically zero reason to own a 3DS right now. At least the DS had Mario 64 at launch.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • OoT and Kid Icharus are coming out this summer.
  • I got one. I've been loving every second of it, really. I just enjoy all of the polish, and ALL of the side activities going on in the console.