This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110322 - PAX East 2011 and Spot It

edited March 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, back from both PAX and Zenkaikon, we bring you our review of the surprisingly entertaining Spot It and highlights from PAX East 2011. We also have some thoughts on the Nintendo 3DS, having now finally manhandled one (though not, as it were, at PAX).

Download MP3

Comments

• Thanks for the new sode! Cant wait to listen!
  • I totally agree with you on the arcade, Funspot is awesome however the presentation of the games was more of a museum rather then an arcade. Also my suggestion is to have the buses/vans travel more frequently to the hotels since I had a bad habit of missing them when I wanted to head back, but thank you T line for saving grace.
  • edited March 2011
    07" />IMG00127-20110313-16 <a href=IMG00120-20110313-1510
    IMG00118-20110313-1247
    IMG00113-20110313-0045
    IMG00111-20110313-0045
    IMG00108-20110313-0044
    The Second Food court otherwise known as underutilized space bigger then most conventions.
    IMG00107-20110313-0043
    Queue room (otherwise known as super underutilized space.
    IMG00103-20110312-1517
    Tabletop on Saturday night
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Epic danger patrol was epic!
  • Epic danger patrol was epic!
    It was so epic that I didn't mind how fucking cold it was in that hangar or how fucking sleepy I was.

FLYING CEMENT TRUCK!
  • edited March 2011
    For me it was still the pony trying to make a shot with a sniper rifle.

EDIT: Yes, some one was a god damn pony.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • For me it was still the pony trying to make a shot with a sniper rifle.
    Haha I forgot about that. There was a lot of epic crazy danger going on to recall.

Don't forget ninjas tossing puppies with bombs.
  • Don't forget ninjas tossing puppies with bombs.
    I thought it was puppies with knives?
  • Don't forget ninjas tossing puppies with bombs.
    I thought it was puppies with knives?
    Perhaps it was. Regardless it was ninjas tossing puppies with WEAPONS from a space train.
  • They were also all on fire, and or covered in bees.
  • They were also all on fire, and or covered in bees.
    And the bees were attracted to Adonis DNA.
  • I helped Pete with the problem he was having with 4 U's.
  • I thought it was puppies with knives?
    I believe the puppies also had bombs.

8 people is way too many for Danger Patrol, but I'm glad y'all had fun!
  • Here is something from the coloring books of Enforcerland.

• EDIT: Yes, some one was a god damn pony.
    A motherfucking robot unicorn, thank-you-very-much.
  • IMG00111-20110313-0045
    Will wore that scarf/bandana combo until Monday at club.
  • Shiiiiiiiit. I might have a problem playing the 3DS, what with my partial blindness and all.
  • I love Spot-It because I'm awesome at it.
    I whipped Pete, Kate, and our friend John in 3 games straight. :D
  • I whipped Pete, Kate, and our friend John in 3 games straight. :D
    Chie wrecked our group similarly.
  • That game has caused my brain to stop. I mean at some point, my brain literally stops processing shapes, and I just stare blankly at the cards.

Shit be hard, yo.
  • I play Jungle Speed, it's Spot It with bleeding!
  • I play Jungle Speed, it's Spot It with bleeding!
    I am also all about the Jungle Speed at the moment because I just got on board with it. I can definitely understand what was said in the podcast though that it can become overplayed, and that it shouldn't be the feature game of the night.
  • Jungle Speed would be more awesome for me if I didn't have little T-Rex arms. I'm naturally at a disadvantage, lol.
  • Jungle Speed would be more awesome for me if I didn't have little T-Rex arms. I'm naturally at a disadvantage, lol.
    There is a cool guy who comes to the board game nights quite often who literally has deformed arms. He literally has T-Rex arms. He is a Jungle Speed master, I shit you not. No excuses. He's also really dangerous at Dominion.
  • Chie was also quite the jungle speed ninja even with the large table.
  • edited March 2011
    The large tables were pretty hilarious. I've never seen so many people have to put their whole body into the lurch forward to grab the totem. We played with our asses on the edge of the seats the whole time.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • You played sitting? I played slightly crouched so I could lunge.
  • I have a 100% win rate at Jungle Speed.
  • You played sitting? I played slightly crouched so I could lunge.
    Yeah my table adopted a sort of half crouch/sit where the ass was literally on the edge of the seat with a lot of forearm leaning on the table
  • Man, now I wish I played Jungle Speed and Spot It when I was at PAX with everyone. It's cool, Prime is only a few months away.

I seriously brought way too many games that weren't played. Next time just Dominion, Dixit, Kingsburg, and Citadels.