This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's Time to Build a New Computer

2»

Comments

• edited May 2007
    The prices at Dell have not reflected the drop in processor prices from Intel. Weird....

Looks like Dell is trying to make some serious profits while people figure out that Intel has dropped prices.

For the system I'm looking at, they dropped the price by $100, but increased the upgrade to the E6600 by $100. Thus, the price has not dropped at all.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • My friend has a Gforce 7200 video card, bought his whole computer with it less than 4 months ago. He's in the process of upgrading to a BFG Gforce 7950. He mentioned he could get it for $250 or somewhere around there. That sounds pretty good as the 7950 is still one of the best currently out there, isn't it (I haven't kept up with comp hardware for about 6 months)? Anyway, if it's really that cheap, thought you might want to know since you're still undecided in the video card.
  • Aaaaand, the new computer won't post. At all. Stops on the very first POST code. Fans spin up, lights light up, and nothing happens...

If only Abit didn't have the slowest fucking web site in the world, I could diagnose this a bit more easily...
  • Aaaaand, the new computer won't post. At all. Stops on the very first POST code. Fans spin up, lights light up, and nothing happens...

If only Abit didn't have the slowest fucking web site in the world, I could diagnose this a bit more easily...
    lol! Sounds to me like maybe you mounted the CPU incorrectly? Maybe the PSU isn't giving enough juice? Maybe the RAM is in wrong? Maybe you forgot to give power to all the spots on the motherboard and video card that want it? Maybe something is broken? Maybe there is something incredibly stupid in the directions that you didn't read? Like you might have to flick a switch or jumper or something.

If you paid more for a Dell, you would have had a less powerful machine, but you wouldn't have this problem! It would have booted straight out of the box. lol.
  • It's almost impossible to mount the CPU incorrectly; if he did, I think he would've broken it.

There's a supplemental power connection right near the CPU socket; make sure you connected it. You might also have a 4-pin molex slot near your PCIE slot; make sure that's connected in addition to the PCIE power connector.

• There's a supplemental power connection right near the CPU socket; make sure you connected it. You might also have a 4-pin molex slot near your PCIE slot; make sure that's connected in addition to the PCIE power connector.
    Yeah, because I'm not a computer professional with a degree or anything... ^_~

The motherboard doesn't execute even a single instruction. One or more of motherboard, power supply, or CPU is dead.
  • Trying kicking it a few times. It always worked for Spike. ;)

• The motherboard doesn't execute even a single instruction. One or more of motherboard, power supply, or CPU is dead.
    I know you have mad skillz, but even the best at computer building can have a loose connection or not seat something right.

• The motherboard doesn't execute even a single instruction. One or more of motherboard, power supply, or CPU is dead.
    I know you have mad skillz, but even the best at computer building can have a loose connection or not seat something right.
    This is true, but we are smart enough to test the motherboard when it is outside the case to make sure that isn't the problem.
  • So were you able to fix it?
  • So, does this mean the motherboard does not work with Linux after all? j/k
  • Well, Newegg has decided that my motherboard does not indeed work, and have this morning shipped me a replacement.  I'd be a lot more miffed about the whole affair had I not two additional computers to serve in the meantime. ^_~
    The moral of this story: never throw a computer away.
  • The moral of this story: never throw a working computer part away.

• You threw a computer away? there are starving gold farmers in China that need those old computers!

So, did you ask them to test it with your power supply?

I say this because I recently purchased a wooden screen door at a home center store and specificaly asked for a 30" wide door. According to the computer the door they gave me was 30" wide. When I got home I found it to be 31" wide.
  • The motherboard failed to post at Newegg, so they sent me a replacement.

The only computers I have ever thrown away were a Pentium 200 and a Pentium 133, one of which did not function at all and the other of which was in a sad state.
  • I threw away a Pentium 200 recently because it wouldn't even load Ubuntu. I was too lazy to figure out what was wrong because with a computer that slow, it's not worth it.
  • It's sad, because i WANT a low speed pc to have as a dedicated Win95/DOS box.  Why emulate DOS when you can have the real thing???
  • It's sad, because i WANT a low speed pc to have as a dedicated Win95/DOS box. WhyemulateDOS when you can have the real thing???

Why have the real thing when you can emulate it?
  • It's sad, because i WANT a low speed pc to have as a dedicated Win95/DOS box. WhyemulateDOS when you can have the real thing???
    Go check in a dumpster? lol. Also, I agree with WiP. Emulators work just fine for gaming and such. I would recommend running an emulator, instead of finding a low speed PC.
  • edited May 2007
    Well, I've messed around with DOSBox, and "No sir, I don't like it." I think I might have a line on an old system. It's new enough that there aren't any isa slots (all pci) but old enough that I'll be able to run 95b on it. It would be nothing more than a DOS rig that would be easily integrated into the network. Just have to make sure to run a firewall on it to close off every single port that isn't absolutely necessary.

Hell it will be worth it just to play all the old MicroProse games. I miss me some Master of Magic and SubWar 2050.

***EDIT***

Hey Scott, whatever you did to the forums, good job. Now when I try to post a comment from my phone it actually goes through instead of getting stuck and sitting there at approx. 276kb. Now it goes all the way through posting and works just like posting from any standard pc!
    Post edited by WallyBman on
  • Well, I never knew of any such problem. If it is fixed now, I suppose that is the work of the Vanilla developers and not myself. As for DOSBox, you should give it another go. I've personally found it to be more reliable and easy to use than an actual DOS machine. Besides, how are you planning on getting USB gamepads to work with real DOS? DOSBox is the win because it makes new hardware work with old games.
  • If I need a gamepad, I still have my 1st gen Gravis GamePad Pro,.  You know, the one with either 2 buttons +2 turbo, or 4 buttons, with the switch to change modes? Also, I still have all my old Thrust Master Controlls, and a DOS programable CHProducts super awesome throttle.
    I might try DOSBox again, but I couldn't get it to work for crap on anything.  Hell, getting it to run, at all, was a pain.  Haven't tried it in a while, so maybe it will work better on my new rig.
  • edited May 2007
    I love my Gravis GamePad Pro! I have the four button one.

That gamepad is the one reason I always keep a sound card with a game port handy.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I love my Gravis GamePad Pro! I have the four button one. That gamepad is the one reason I always keep a sound card with a game port handy.

If it only has four buttons, it's not the Pro, it's just the original Gravis Gamepad. The Pro is basically the same as a playstation controller. I owned both the original and the pro back in the day, and I still have my CH Products ISA gamecard with two gameports on it.
    Regardless of how good these gamepads were back in the day, they are useless now. There are far superior USB gamepads that will work with everything. I am not sure how well it works with Linux, but I suggest Windows users looking for a gamepad for PC games get an XBox 360 controller.
  • I'll take your word on the Pro moniker. I purchased mine when Doom was the new hotness.

There was a huge controller at the time with two sticks and a huge footprint. The guys who played Descent in the barracks made sure to buy that thing. I do not remember what it was called but I think Gravis put it out.

I also never got into the games that came after Doom. I tried Quake briefly but my machine (at the time) could not handle it. Then I got married...