This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What would you name your child?

Comments

• Best pretentious name: Gödel Escher Bach

Also possible, just to fuck with other members of the coming generation(s): Harry James [any old-world profession besides Potter].

• Also possible, just to fuck with other members of the coming generation(s): Harry James [any old-world profession besides Potter].
    Brewer. Carpenter. Hatter.

There we go. A son of mine shall be Mad Hatter.
  • There we go. A son of mine shall be Mad Hatter.
    Harry James "Mad" Milliner.
  • Boy = Red.
    Girl = Green.

Simple.
  • Definitely leaning towards a My little Pony naming scheme now :-p
  • As somone who made this decision less than a month ago, strike all my previous answers. My little girl will be named Sarah, middle name Grace.
  • In an effort to appease our future overlords I shall name my son Tobor. And his brother Robot.
  • Probably whatever my spousal overunit tells me to name them.
  • Years ago, I heard the Weezer song "My Name is Jonas" and thought, wow, I wish MY name was Jonas - so much cooler than the tepid "Kevin".

So I resolved to name my son Jonas. Held onto that one for yeeeears.

Then, just as my missus is preggers, the Jonas Brothers happen. And huge. Crap I thought. There's no way I can call him Jonas now. Totally decided that would be the worst curse for a boy. Over time I realized that by the time the kid is 3, who the crap is still going to remember the Jonas brothers??

So on 10-10-10, my son was born: Jonas Andrew.
  • Admittedly, there are some video game characters I'm fond of that I would like to name my kids after. Fortunately, they all have relatively "normal" names like Alex, Mia, Jessica, etc. Being regular names, I may have some pull in convincing the spousal overunit to go with them. I'm not going to be like that crazy family that named their kid Sephiroth a few years back.
  • edited February 2011
    Admittedly, there are some video game characters I'm fond of that I would like to name my kids after. Fortunately, they all have relatively "normal" names like Alex, Mia, Jessica, etc. Being regular names, I may have some pull in convincing the spousal overunit to go with them. I'm not going to be like that crazy family that named their kid Sephiroth a few years back.
    When it comes to crazy nerd names, I think the solution is to just have an even number of kids and take turns naming.

Personally, if I had kids, I would probably be all traditional and name them after deceased family members. Of course, my family has very old style names. Ralph, Martin (Marty), Morris, Rosie, Roslyn. There's also great grandma Sarah, but my sister is already named after her.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I had a friend who had the surname Data. I suggested Erroneous when his wife got pregnant.
  • Personally, if I had kids, I would probably be all traditional and name them after deceased family members. Of course, my family has very old style names. Ralph, Martin (Marty), Morris, Rosie, Roslyn. There's also great grandma Sarah, but my sister is already named after her.
    Yeah, I probably couldn't do that, at least if I had boys. Just about all the boys in my family were named Mario and Luis (I'm not kidding). Still, there's not at all anything wrong with the names you'd probably use. Again, nice regular (though "Ralph" is maybe a bit old fashioned) names.
  • A friend of mine moved to Canada from India when he was a small boy. His family all chose western sounding (English) first names.

They let him choose whatever name he wanted. Did I mention he was a small boy? So he chose one from one of the few English movies he had seen: Benji.

And thus it is written on his ID, not Benjamin, Benji.
  • edited February 2011
    Personally, if I had kids, I would probably be all traditional and name them after deceased family members. Of course, my family has very old style names. Ralph, Martin (Marty), Morris, Rosie, Roslyn. There's also great grandma Sarah, but my sister is already named after her.
    Yeah, I probably couldn't do that, at least if I had boys. Just about all the boys in my family were named Mario and Luis (I'm not kidding). Still, there's not at all anything wrong with the names you'd probably use. Again, nice regular (though "Ralph" is maybe a bit old fashioned) names.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • edited February 2011
    A friend of mine moved to Canada from India when he was a small boy. His family all chose western sounding (English) first names.

They let him choose whatever name he wanted. Did I mention he was a small boy? So he chose one from one of the few English movies he had seen: Benji.

And thus it is written on his ID, not Benjamin, Benji.
    I always thought it would be great to just have a name that's not short for anything. Nobody coming up with crazy abbreviations or adding a "y" on the end. Hence naming my daughter Sarah. If it were a boy, my wife and I were going to argue the merits of Kenneth versus just putting Ken on the birth certificate.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I were going to argue the merits of Kenneth versus just putting Ken on the birth certificate.
    KenSHIRO.

• Reason enough to avoid naming a kid "Ralph." :P
  • Whoever is going to name their child something starting with Ken, but not ending with Shiro is doing their chield a huge disfavor.
  • My daughters name is Harleen Quinzel (Harlee Quinn). Quinzel is her middle name though.
  • Dibs on Rainbow, middle name Dash (and it will be a boy)
    Twilight is actually a legitimately good name.
    Twilight is actually a legitimately good name.
    The problem is that too many people would associate it with sparkly vampires.
  • I've always been partial to Gen for a boy and Kyra for a girl. Of course my wife has informed me that I will sooner be roasted alive than name her babies after gelflings.
  • If my partner would let me get away with it, I'd name my daughter Kaywinnit Lee.
  • Does anyone else think "Getter" might actually make a decent boy's name?
  • "Getter"
    But I 'ardly know 'er!
    Too many possible puns, I think.
  • edited March 2011
    Does anyone else think "Getter" might actually make a decent boy's name?
    I'd rather name my kid "Crocodiver 01."
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Does anyone else think "Optimus Prime" might actually make a decent boy's name?
    Yes, I do.
  • Does anyone else think "Optimus Prime" might actually make a decent boy's name?
    Yes, I do.
    Reminds me of the story of a soldier who legally changed his name to Optimus Prime.