This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

POGs

edited March 2011 in Board Games
I'm sure a lot of people here remember Pogs. I think we've talked about them on GeekNights before.

Anyway, some people are planning to let loose the Pogs at PAX West. Genius I say. Does anyone still have any Pogs? I'm especially looking for official Pog brand ones, as opposed to knock-offs.

Comments

• I probably have a couple tubes at my parents house. I had some bitching slammers too...
  • I used to have a bunch of Pogs when I was young, but most of them were knockoffs. I'm pretty sure I even had some Pokemon ones later on. I knew there was a game somehow related to it but I never played it. I probably still have them somewhere but I don't want to go digging around in my garage any time soon.
  • POGs originated in Hawaii and were named after a juice that had pineapple, orange, and grape.

This message brought to you by Atomic Trivia War 9000.
  • POGs originated in Hawaii and were named after a juice that had pineapple, orange, and grape.

This message brought to you by Wikipedia.
  • I probably have a couple tubes at my parents house. I had some bitching slammers too...
  • edited March 2011
    I'm sure a lot of people here remember Pogs. I think we've talked about them on GeekNights before.

Anyway, some people are planning to let loose the Pogs at PAX West. Genius I say. Does anyone still have any Pogs? I'm especially looking for official Pog brand ones, as opposed to knock-offs.
    I have this at home: image and the box itself is filled with tube upon tube of bock official and knockoff POGs. My favorite slammers are the insane ones I would see at the flea markets. They were seriously just solid metal and looked like a big double-stuffed oreo. Also, the "OJ Simpson in the Slammer" was hilarious.

Unfortunately I won't be making it to PAX Prime again this year. If you don't have your own anymore, you can just have a tube of mine if you want. I've been in major "get shit out of my house" mode as I try to make more room for a kid.

EDIT: Because this Simpsons episode needs to be referenced

Milhouse: I'm really sorry... I kind of traded your soul to the guy at the comic book store. But look! I got some cool pogs:
    [shows them]
    Milhouse: Alf pogs! Remember Alf? He's back... in pog form!
    Post edited by Matt on

This message brought to you by Atomic Trivia War 9000.
    Yeah, and it took me a while to get the answer.

Jeremy may have some. I'll ask him.
  • I remember collecting some Star Wars: Episode 1 POGs at Pizza Huts. They had about 20-25 collectable ones. I got one of R2-D2.
  • I saw pogs for what they were and had no part in them.
    Yea I only have a few because they kept giving me them for free and I was like screw this shit. I want stats on my super hero cards or at least stories in the comics :-p
    I spent my childhood furiously wasting both time and money and am now trying to catch up by enjoying only good things.
  • Don't get me wrong. POGs are fucking stupid as shit. But POGs at PAX Prime will provide awesome lulz.
  • Omegathon Final: POGS.
  • Omegathon Final: POGS.
    This would definitely rock. If you are awesomely skilled, it's impressive to watch (speaking of witch, does anyone actually have skill at POGs? We seemed to just randomly smash the pile). On the flipside, if you fail miserably at POGs, it's also hilarious for the crowd to watch. WIN WIN.
  • I still have all my Pogs, and I'm pretty sure I know where they are. I will post pics once I get home.
  • I only had a few POGs and I never had any goddamn clue how to play the game. I feel like I am better for it.
  • Whenever I smell oregano, I think of POGS, because I kept all my pogs in an old oregano container.
  • You mean in your stash box?
  • Whenever I smell oregano, I think of POGS, because I kept all my pogs in an old oregano container.
    You mean in your stash box?
    And the rabbit hole gets deeper...
  • Might have thrown mine out 2 years ago. :(

Had an awesome buzzsaw-shaped pog too.
  • Awh, I can't find my red Jaws slammer :(

• Man, pogs. That was an epic 3 weeks in my life.
  • I never understood the appeal of pogs.
  • I never understood the appeal of pogs.
    Collectible things tap into very addictive tendencies with some people. Coupled with the human urge to smash things, it was a force to be reckoned with.
  • My mom would only let me get free ones. She knew it was a fad and that I would tire of it quickly, but I still managed to accumulate a bunch of 'em through luck, and the fact that they gave them to kids at every fun thing, like birthday parties.
  • I was all about these in 4th grade for about two months or so. We would play it all the time in school and I had a ton. Even an official Pog slammer that was my specialty in games.
  • My mom would only let me get free ones.
    Best Chuck 'E Cheese/Discovery Zone/other arcade prizes.
  • edited April 2011
    Wow...I had forgotten about POGS. They were huge the summer of my 4th or 5th grade year. I didn't have very many but I liked to play. My rents probably threw them all out.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • RymRym
    edited April 2011
    I just remember being so amazed at how suddenly and voraciously the people in my school fell upon the sword that was pogs. They got out of hand in the cafeteria, yet somehow noone actually really understood the rules when they played. It was almost as though they were all going through the motions to be pog players simply for the fact that it was the currently "popular" thing.

They ended up being banned as "gambling." Magic was banned in the same manner. Funnily, I was able to openly play hearts for money with my own friends. I have a suspicion that pogs were actually banned because they tended to be played by the disruptive kids, and Magic because it was "occult."
    Post edited by Rym on