This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What would you name your child?

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Does anyone else think "Soundwave or Shockwave" might actually make decent boy's names?
    Yes, I do.
    Fixed that for you.

EDIT: I will also accept Skywarp.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Does anyone else think "Soundwave or Shockwave" might actually make decent boy's names?
    Yes, I do.
    Fixed that for you.

EDIT: I will also accept Skywarp.
    I'll change my freakin' name to Soundwave. My kids can settle for Laserbeak, Rumble, and Ravage, regardless of gender.
  • If you were to change your name to Soundwave, your last name had better be changed to Decepticon.
  • I'll change my freakin' name to Soundwave. My kids can settle for Laserbeak, Rumble, and Ravage, regardless of gender.
    I am glad for a future kids sake that you will probably never reproduce.
  • edited March 2011
    I'll change my freakin' name to Soundwave. My kids can settle for Laserbeak, Rumble, and Ravage, regardless of gender.
    Unfortunately, human biology makes it nigh impossible for you to deploy them from your chest. I suggest looking into Snuglis.
    I am glad for a future kids sake that you will probably never reproduce.
    With any luck, his kids will be actual sapient robots.

I've got a horrible idea for my kids; since my last name is Rohrer, I'm leaning toward names based on large predators, e.g. Leona, Tiger, or Tyrannosaurus.
    Post edited by Frank on
  • With any luck, his kids will be actual sapient robots.
    I note you didn't actually specify it was good or bad luck, or for whom.
  • As a big fan of the Final Fantasy series, I'd love to name one of my kids after a character. Final Fantasy VII and VIII are my favourites, I wonder what names I could propose to my wife that wouldn't sound too outlandish. Cloud, no. Squall, maybe not..., Zell? Maybe this will be harder then I imagined.
  • Lisa and I are talking about baby names. Yesterday, I almost convinced her of Charles Xavier, but then she whipped out Google.
  • @dutopia You could always go with Cid.
  • I've been on a campaign for years to convince my wife that Ozymandias is a good boy's name.

On a side note, that's an impressive spell check function there, it even catches uncommon proper nouns.
  • @dutopia You could always go with Cid.
    Cid is good, so is Julia (From Final Fantasy VIII). I wonder what else...
  • I like the name Flynn.
  • Lisa and I are talking about baby names. Yesterday, I almost convinced her of Charles Xavier, but then she whipped out Google.
    B'wahahahaha. That is a high quality name regardless of what it's mostly known for.

Tell her you like the name Bruce Wayne Hawk. That sounds all kinds of cool. ^___~
  • I like the name Flynn.
    I've been considering Flynn too. Not after Tron or anything, but after my grandfather.
  • Prudence is a good name. I got it from a Souxsie and the Banshees song. It's called Dear Prudence.
  • I got it from a Beatles song. It's called Dear Prudence.
  • Lisa says she likes Kennedy. I might be down with that. She's fickle these days, though, so I expect flip-floppery to happen every two days or so for the next six months.
  • Lisa says she likes Kennedy. I might be down with that. She's fickle these days, though, so I expect flip-floppery to happen every two days or so for the next six months.
    Are you two expecting already? Congrats if so. Your expecations are pretty in line with the hormonal roller coaster. Expect random crying.

This also reminds me of the time I convinced my wife to pick aqua and orange as the bathroom color scheme because they are so complementary. She did not realize that I am a Miami Dolphins fan and had just made an NFL bathroom.
  • edited April 2011
    Winifred and Minifred?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Maya if it is a girl, Max if a boy.
    "What did you name me after, mommy?"
    "Old 3D software that used to crash ALL THE TIME!"

I do like the name Maya, though. I like names that can be written with Japanese characters but are also regular names. Maya means "Magical Night" among other things. It's a girl's name in Japan, but it is also a Hispanic name.
    Naomi is the same. Naomi is a Jewish name, but can also be a Japanese name.
  • edited April 2011
    I prefer the method of first name one language, second name the other and switching them in daily use as needed.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I prefer the method of first name one language, second name the other and switching them in daily use as needed.
    I got two last names per Spanish naming customs, as the last name is that of both parents. One's Spanish and the other is American with Scandinavian origin.
  • Maya if it is a girl, Max if a boy.
    "What did you name me after, mommy?"
    "Old 3D software that used to crash ALL THE TIME!"

I do like the name Maya, though. I like names that can be written with Japanese characters but are also regular names. Maya means "Magical Night" among other things. It's a girl's name in Japan, but it is also a Hispanic name.
    Naomi is the same. Naomi is a Jewish name, but can also be a Japanese name.
    Random side note - I'm oddly excited about what can be done with Cryengine 3 when you plug it into Maya.
  • For the last time, mother, I will not name my child Hudson Hawk.
  • edited April 2011
    I've thought about changing my last name. From Khaze (hard for most people to properly pronounce) to Frost (not Freeze. Awesome villain, but not what I want to be associated with...for now).

Is there a way of formally registering aliases? In such a way as to be able to use them for official purposes, such as banking?

EDIT: Never mind, googled it: Fictitious Name Statement
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Frost (not Freeze. Awesome villain, but not what I want to be associated with...for now).
    How about Fries instead?
  • I've thought about changing my last name. From Khaze (hard for most people to properly pronounce) to Frost (not Freeze. Awesome villain, but not what I want to be associated with...for now).

Is there a way of formally registering aliases? In such a way as to be able to use them for official purposes, such as banking?
    In the US there's something known as "doing business as." I don't know the details, but Google is my friend.

Outside the US I don't know what the laws are like.
  • edited April 2011
    Aliases can't be used for official purposes, you need to formally register a name change.

EDIT: Ninja'd. I just learned why kids love the delicious taste of Cinnamon Told Crunch.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited April 2011
    Wow you guys are quick. Yeah, I just googled it and turns out, since I'm a sole proprietorship, I can register a Fictitious Name Statement with the county clerk.
    Sooo, I guess I'll be making a trip to the county clerks office sometime this summer and Registering Victor Frost.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Atom
    Yeah, so I'm ashamed I never thought to name anything "Atom".