This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Flouridation of water is a communist plot and other tales of the crazy side of the internet

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I think it almost always stems from tangential motivations rather than the stated ones.
    Yea, I'm of the mind that conspiracy theories fill some sort of psychological need a particular person has. Which is why I think completely ignoring them might be a bad idea.

Maybe there needs to be a conspiracy theorist outreach program. Where people spend an hour or so a week dealing with these crazy people :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited March 2011
    Educate yourself seems to be well not very educationalBut damn do they have a lot of time to write this stuff up.
  • I'm really interested in seeing how this "2012" meme plays out. Usually, it seems that apocalyptic prophesy is only spread by the super-crazies (fundamentalist Christians, messianic Chabad Jews, etc), but a frighteningly large number of (otherwise only slightly crazy/dirty hippie) people seem to be buying into 2012. I hope that, as we get closer and closer to their "end date," we start seeing a flurry of activity, culminating in an entirely anti-climactic "I told you so." It would be entertaining, at the very least.
  • I'm really interested in seeing how this "2012" meme plays out. Usually, it seems that apocalyptic prophesy is only spread by the super-crazies (fundamentalist Christians, messianic Chabad Jews, etc), but a frighteningly large number of (otherwise only slightly crazy/dirty hippie) people seem to be buying into 2012. I hope that, as we get closer and closer to their "end date," we start seeing a flurry of activity, culminating in an entirely anti-climactic "I told you so." It would be entertaining, at the very least.
    It will be exactly like y2k.
  • It will be exactly like y2k.
    Yea, it will be really really awesome the next day when I saw "I told you so".
    So, a horde of engineers and computer scientists will work tirelessly for years prior to the event in order to avert the otherwise inevitable catastrophe?
  • So, a horde of engineers and computer scientists will work tirelessly for years prior to the event in order to avert the otherwise inevitable catastrophe?
    I assumed he wasn't talking about the computer Y2k stuff but the end of the world Y2K stuff.
  • Educate yourself seems to be well not very educationalBut damn do they have a lot of time to write this stuff up.
    That's some weapons grade escalating crazy right there. There's no point in trying to refute it. Just write off anyone who isn't convinced by the following question:

"You realize that's an utterly batshit crazy web site, right?"

If they have read and substantial portion of the site, and do not agree with you, then there is no hope. Abort conversation.
  • There is some pretty good fiction there though. For example I was reading about Chemtrails and there is this whole section about Sylphs (air Elementals) that try and clean up the chemicals that are sprayed. If you read some of the reports they are HILARIOUS. Though only for a few moments until you realize that these people are serious.
  • RymRym
    edited March 2011
    In fact, having spent a full 90 seconds perusing the site, it is obviously a big joke.
    To give you a short answer, the Illuminati (the secret government) has both alien and human advanced technology that is roughly 100 YEARS ahead of anything that is known to conventional acience. They can CURE any disease known to man and can TIME REVERSE any damage or pathological effect from breathing chemtrails. They also have alien technology that can REVERSE THE AGING PROCESS. It's not an accident that well connected Illuminati elites like Edward Teller (who may or may NOT actually be dead) or the Queen mother of England live to such an extraordinary old age.
    Show that to anyone who brings this site up, and ask them what they think of it. If they even attempt to defend the site as legitimate in the face of such highly concentrated crazy, give up on them.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Witness the Sylph first hand!!!!
    Looks like a lot of clouds to me...
  • I feel like thats something that could have come out of a random conspiracy theory generator.
    So, a horde of engineers and computer scientists will work tirelessly for years prior to the event in order to avert the otherwise inevitable catastrophe?
    For those of you being needlessly pedantic, the general public's reaction will be similar to y2k, albeit without any evidence to support such claims.
  • A lot of people will use it as a half-assed excuse to just do whatever the hell they want. Also, a lot of people will make really bad jokes about it.

Back on topic, I'm severely disappointed that this threat was over a hundred messages long and contained no actual scientific discussion on the fluoridation of water.
  • On the note of Y2K, people had no clue. I remember going to my boyfriend's house in highschool and I was like I see you guys up graded your windows. He was like it's for Y2K, I was like uh, your old version would have worked just fine still. They were really convinced they needed to. The fact is a lot of people only hear what they want to hear (which is apparently only the doom and gloom part).
  • Back on topic, I'm severely disappointed that this threat was over a hundred messages long and contained no actual scientific discussion on the fluoridation of water.
    That's because there's no discussion to be had. Flouridation of water is great, just like iodized salt. Only conspiracy nuts think otherwise.
  • That's because there's no discussion to be had. Flouridation of water is great, just like iodized salt. Only conspiracy nuts think otherwise.
    Well, Too much fluoridation is bad :-p
  • That's because there's no discussion to be had. Flouridation of water is great, just like iodized salt. Only conspiracy nuts think otherwise.
    Too much water is bad. If you tried to hurt yourself with flouride by drinking water, you would die of too much water first.
  • edited March 2011
    That's because there's no discussion to be had. Flouridation of water is great, just like iodized salt. Only conspiracy nuts think otherwise.
    I'm no expert but the bad effects seem largely cosmetic. The only reason I even bring it up is that since flouridation of water started, people have started getting flouride in their toothpaste. Do we really need to be paying for it to be put in tap water? I view this entirely from a financial standpoint, not a conspiracy view.

EDIT: The CDC had this link to a Journal of Public Health entry that showed it's cost effective, to the tune of saving each person $17 per year. Seems like a pretty negligible benefit but if it's self-supporting, then it just makes sense. I'm willing to overlook my stance that people should be more responsible and rely on gov't less.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Educate yourself seems to be well not very educationalBut damn do they have a lot of time to write this stuff up.
    That's some weapons grade escalating crazy right there. There's no point in trying to refute it. Just write off anyone who isn't convinced by the following question:
    "You realize that's an utterly batshit crazy web site, right?"
    If they have read and substantial portion of the site, and do not agree with you, then there is no hope. Abort conversation.
    Jesus. At the bottom, it appears that the guy has linked to literally every known wacko conspiracy theory known to man, with the exception of Time Cube.
  • Too much water is bad. If you tried to hurt yourself with flouride by drinking water, you would die of too much water first.
    I'm pretty sure too much Fluoride would kill you at a smaller dose.. but I was just making a dosage argument that is largely not what you are talking about :-p
  • Too much water is bad. If you tried to hurt yourself with flouride by drinking water, you would die of too much water first.
    @_@
  • I'm pretty sure too much Fluoride would kill you at a smaller dose.. but I was just making a dosage argument that is largely not what you are talking about :-p
    Yes, if you just eat fluoride straight up. That's why you don't swallow toothpaste, and you definitely don't swallow the concentrated fluoride treatments you can get at the dentist. The point is that the amount of floridness in water is so small that in order to be hurt by it, you would have to drink stupid amounts of water, and the fluoride wouldn't be the first thing that gets you.

EDIT: Apparently I've been spelling fluoride wrong my entire life. I've been spelling it with ou instead of uo, and spell checker just saved me.
    @_@
    Water intoxication.
  • edited March 2011
    The point is that the amount of floridness in water is so small that in order to be hurt by it, you would have to drink stupid amounts of water, and the fluoride wouldn't be the first thing that gets you.
    You'll find that people against Fluoridation of water area also usually anti-vaccine or at the very least concerned about some of the chemicals used in vaccines. Both issues come form an issue with understanding how different dosages effect you. Something is life saving at one level and then lethal at others. It's something people never understand completely. I guess my science background and the fact I work in a Toxicology lab makes me sensitive to it.
  • Something is life saving at one level and then lethal at others. It's something people never understand completely.
    It's a shame you can't buy Mercurochrome in stores anymore.
  • It's a shame you can't buy Mercurochrome in stores anymore.
    Yeah, that dubious old antiseptic filled with mercury was awesome.
  • Every time I think, "Certainly, I can't possibly need to green text this! Certainly, they will notice the sarcasm!" And every time, I am proven wrong.
  • You can't buy mercurochrome in stores anymore? When did this happen?

It's a good thing I hoarded some.
  • edited March 2011
    You can't buy mercurochrome in stores anymore? When did this happen?

It's a good thing I hoarded some.
    I like to use it as a mouthwash. Mix it with some Scope and gargle. When your mouth tastes like pennies, that means it's working.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on