This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

edited December 2010 in Technology
I couldn't find a better place to put this question, so I made a new thread for this sort of question.

What would be the easiest/quickest way to transfer my music library (~40-50 GB) from my desktop (Windows 7) to my netbook (Ubuntu) over a local area network?

Comments

• I think the easiest way would probably be just use an external hard drive and saying fuck the network altogether.
  • edited December 2010
    I agree with ninjarabbi. You can take your HD out of you desktop and connect it via USB using an external enclosure or an adapter like this one. If you really don't have anything like that, or don't want to rip your HD out of you case for some reason, just transfer like 50 songs a day in some kind of order so you don't loose track. If you have a problem configuring file sharing you should look into something like this.
    Post edited by sucrilhos on
  • I just used DC++. Problem solved.
  • edited December 2010
    DC++
    Daddy two Batmans.

Also, is there any way to check parts compatibility before we get to the step of "Plug it together and hope"?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Daddy two Batmans.
    What does this mean?
    Also, is there any way to check parts compatibility before we get to the step of "Plug it together and hope"?
    Not really, but it's not as much of a problem as it used to be. Check that your CPU socket matches the motherboard, and make sure that your CPU can support the RAM clock speed you buy (a 2.66GHz Quadcore, while still a great processor, will not support 1600MHz DDR3 RAM). Make sure all your cards (likely just a video card and a sound card) are PCI-E, and you should be good. Hard drives should be SATA, and your PSU should be at least 500V.
  • Hammer. Best way to do anything.
  • What does this mean?
    DC as in Detective Comics, the guys who own Batman, and Plus Plus indicating more of what is already there.
    Not really, but it's not as much of a problem as it used to be. Check that your CPU socket matches the motherboard, and make sure that your CPU can support the RAM clock speed you buy (a 2.66GHz Quadcore, while still a great processor,will notsupport 1600MHz DDR3 RAM). Make sure all your cards (likely just a video card and a sound card) are PCI-E, and you should be good. Hard drives should be SATA, and your PSU should be at least 500V.
    Shit. Ah well, I can make sure I check all of that.
  • What can I do with a thinkpad x21 running ubuntu with xfce? I'm think about server related stuff so that I can stuff it into the corner of my room and not touch it after it's set up. Running a torrent box sounds cool but then those copyright peoples will get me. It has 20 gigs so it doesn't work well as a NAS, but that is a possibility. I doubt it can run game servers. I'm just not quite sure what to do with it.
  • What can I do with athinkpad x21running ubuntu with xfce? I'm think about server related stuff so that I can stuff it into the corner of my room and not touch it after it's set up. Running a torrent box sounds cool but then those copyright peoples will get me. It has 20 gigs so it doesn't work well as a NAS, but that is a possibility. I doubt it can run game servers. I'm just not quite sure what to do with it.
    WTF it can do everything a computer can do. If you got a better computer, and you don't need two, then donate it to someone needy.
  • Yes, a laptop with a Pentium III can surely do everything a computer can do. I mean, let's just ignore the fact that it doesn't even meet the minimum requirements for skype. I was hoping for maybe some interesting ways I could use this piece of junk, because I just can't think of every possibility considering the shitty specs it has. This is a machine that's so slow that I can see it render each element on this forum one by one.
  • edited March 2011
    This is a stupid question, I know, so please don't tease me too much.

We're scheduled for a holiday in June. We're going to be staying at this place that has cable, but no internet and no wifi. Would it be possible to connect a laptop to the internet there with one of those funky cards I see advertised by cable and phone companies, or do they mostly just amplify wifi that's already in place?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Would it be possible to connect a laptop to the internet there with one of those funky cards I see advertised by cable and phone companies, or do they mostly just amplify wifi that's already in place?
    If you mean aircards and the like, they connect to a cellular provider like Spring or Verizon and use a data plan just like a cell phone. I have a Verizon one, and we rented a Sprint one for Bitch PAX last year.
  • This may be a silly set of questions, but I've been meaning to ask it for awhile.

I have an HP Pavillion dv4 running Windows 7. It's awesome, I really truly like it (when it's not having fan problems), but there's one thing. There isn't really a Windows 7 GarageBand analog that I know of, and when I asked in the Pokemon Audio Drama topic, the programs weren't what I was looking for. As a fun project, I was thinking I'd back up all homework, videos, music, what have you onto my external, and put OSX on here for Spring break, then put Windows 7 back on when I come back home.

1) Is this silly?
    2) Would my laptop even work with a different OS on it?
    3) Would there be anything I'd need to worry about when I try this?
    4) Is it even worth it?
  • edited March 2011
    Installing OS X on non Apple Hardware requires a modchip of sorts unless it is very specifically the correct hardware. Check out hackintosh.com.

EDIT: Apparently it works with most recent intel chips. So go for it.

EDIT 2: As for 3), I highly recommend springing for an authentic OS X install disc, at $29 it isn't too expensive and versions you "find" on the interweb have a very high probability of containing nasty stuff.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Installing OS X on non Apple Hardware requires a modchip of sorts unless it is very specifically the correct hardware. Check out hackintosh.com.

EDIT: Apparently it works with most recent intel chips. So go for it.

EDIT 2: As for 3), I highly recommend springing for an authentic OS X install disc, at $29 it isn't too expensive and versions you "find" on the interweb have a very high probability of containing nasty stuff.
    Thanks for that link! It looks like it will definitely come in handy.

As for 3, I think I have an authentic Snow Leaopard disk around the house somewhere, but if I didn't, that was going to be my next plan. I don't trust the internet.
  • edited March 2011
    What is the best affordable 32GB USB flash drive? In my quick search, this is the best I saw. Also, how could I get it to run multiple bootable things? (ie: have an ubuntu and windows installer on the same usb drive) I've never really done something like that before. Is it as simple as putting both on and having the bios pull up a file manager or something, or is it more complicated?
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited March 2011
    I'm trying to make a website for my portfolio however I am experiencing some difficulties with the links in the Navigation Bar (Navbar). The links work in Internet Explorer but do not work in Firefox, Chrome or Safari.

Here's the link:
    Link

Do you know what could be causing this error and how to fix it?

Thanks
    Post edited by JakeOliveira on
  • edited March 2011
    I'm not sure, but just a little note, at 1024x768, to see the full logo at the right, you have to scroll over a tiny bit and cut off a bit of plain black space to the left. Maybe you should make the background a tad smaller.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Thanks for the advice Pegu, I can definitely do that, but whats really bugging me is the Navbar links. If i can't get that to work then the website is virtually useless, and I've been trying to figure this out for weeks. It's very frustrating!
  • Apparently the guide doesn't exist on that site, darn. Do you think that will do the trick?
  • edited March 2011
    You should be asking this question on StackOverflow
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I've never used that site before, I was just hoping someone here might know how to fix my issue
  • It looks like your content div is overlapping your navbar div. When doing right click -> Inspect Element on any of your menu links, the content div is what it inspects.
  • Ok, I'm confused.

I'm going to be installing Windows 7 on Jeremy's computer today. What's the difference between this version and the OEM pack?

I called a local store and they said it's basically a cheaper version for people just building a system where you don't get Microsoft support.

I don't necessarily need the support and I just want to install Windows 7. It's $80 cheaper and seems to be the thing I need. Help? >__>
  • I called a local store and they said it's basically a cheaper version for people just building a system where you don't get Microsoft support.
    That's exactly right. the OEM/System Builder's editions don't come with support. If you call Microsoft for help, they won't talk to you. At least not for free. Also, the OEM disc only has the 64-bit version. The retail version has both 32 and 64-bit versions.
  • I called a local store and they said it's basically a cheaper version for people just building a system where you don't get Microsoft support.
    That's exactly right. the OEM/System Builder's editions don't come with support. If you call Microsoft for help, they won't talk to you. At least not for free. Also, the OEM disc only has the 64-bit version. The retail version has both 32 and 64-bit versions.
    Why would I want the 32bit version though?

I will more than likely get the OEM version.

I'm also purchasing 2 1TB hard drives. Is the 6 GB/S speed vs 3 GB/S speed really worth the extra $30?
  • I'm also purchasing 2 1TB hard drives. Is the 6 GB/S speed vs 3 GB/S speed really worth the extra $30?
    If your motherboard has a 6 GB/S SATA controller, then yes.
  • I'm also purchasing 2 1TB hard drives. Is the 6 GB/S speed vs 3 GB/S speed really worth the extra $30?
    If your motherboard has a 6 GB/S SATA controller, then yes.
    Nope, it does not. 3 GB/S SATA. Cheaper one it is!

Thanks. (I'm happy I remember what mobo we use.)
  • edited March 2011
    If I attempt to repair a hard drive using a Windows 7 disk on a computer other than the one that the drive came from (plug it into another comp and insert a Windows 7 disk), will Windows change the drivers and make it no longer work in the system it is from?
    Post edited by Pegu on