This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Naming our Panel Rooms - Connecticon

RymRym
edited April 2011 in Conventions
Supposing we name the panel rooms at Connecticon a la PAX. What should the names be?

There are five panel rooms and two workshop rooms. One panel room is very large, one is very small, and the rest are all the same. Obviously, we want a theme going. No, we're not naming them after individual My Little Ponies (as much as I would like to).

Comments

• edited April 2011
    After L4D special Zombies.

Tank, Boomer, Hunter, Smoker, and Witch. :P

Captain Planet essentials: Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, & Heart. ^__~
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Final Fantasy essentials: Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, & Light
  • Could named after enemies from Minecraft:
    -Creeper room
    -Skeleton room
    -Zombie room
    -Spider room
    -Ghast room
  • Legend of Zelda (25 year anniversary baby :-p)

Rauru(Light)- RAWR-roo
    Saria(Forest)- SAHR-eye-ah
    Darunia(Fire)- dah-ROO-nee-uh
    Ruto(Water)- ROO-tow
    Impa(Shadow)-IMP-uh
    Nabooru(Spirit)- Nah-BOO-roo
    Zelda- ZEL-duh
  • edited April 2011
    Obviously, we want a theme going. No, we're not naming them after individual My Little Ponies (as much as I would like to).
    Why aren't you? It would seem awesome. If not the individual ponies, what about the areas?

Fillydelphia, Ponyvilla, Cloudsdale, Canterlot, Everfree Forrest, Hoofington, Whitedale Wood, Trottingham, and Appleloosa. Those would be PRO.
  • Seriously, names should encompass all the combined geekeries of Connecticon.

Dragon (fantasy), Mecha (anime/manga), Rocket (sci-fi), Hero (comics), Pawn (gaming), Pencil (art/crafts)
  • I like that, Scott. That sounds good.
  • edited April 2011
    I like that, Scott. That sounds good.
    Man it would be good if there was a comment voting system in this forum so instead of just quoting someone I could just like their comment or vote it up.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I like that, Scott. That sounds good.
  • No, we're not naming them after individual My Little Ponies (as much as I would like to).
    You should name them after individual My Little Ponies.
  • edited April 2011
    Dragon and Mech sound good. Rocket doesn't sound specific enough, something like "Nebula" or "Starship" might work. Hero is also somewhat vauge, try "Nemesis" or "Ultimate Justice". Pawn is ok but "Dice" or similar is easier to associate. Pencil is also fine but doesn't sit right in my mind. "Inkstain" or similar would better express the DIY nature.

Dragon, Mech, Starship, Nemesis, Dice & Pawn, and Inkstain.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited April 2011
    Or name them after prominent names in those fields.

Tolkein (fantasy), Miyazaki or Tezuka (anime/manga), Asimov (sci-fi), Eisner (comics), Knizia or Jackson(gaming), Monet/Picasso/DaVinci (art/crafts)
  • "Hero" ----> "Beowulf"

I also like "Nebula" for the sci-fi one.
  • Or name them after prominent names in those fields.

Tolkein (fantasy), Miyazaki or Tezuka (anime/manga), Asimov (sci-fi), Eisner (comics), Knizia or Jackson(gaming), Monet/Picasso/DaVinci (art/crafts)
  • Is it such a good idea to name the panel rooms when you have seven of them? As much fun as naming them may be, wouldn't it be better to give them meaningful names like "Panel 301" or "Workshop 211" where "311" and "211" are the actual room numbers in the hotel/convention center/etc.?

Granted, I don't know what the layout of the center is, but having names like these may cut back on people asking "Where is the Cthulhu Theater?" or whatever.
  • Is it such a good idea to name the panel rooms when you have seven of them? As much fun as naming them may be, wouldn't it be better to give them meaningful names like "Panel 301" or "Workshop 211" where "311" and "211" are the actual room numbers in the hotel/convention center/etc.?

Granted, I don't know what the layout of the center is, but having names like these may cut back on people asking "Where is the Cthulhu Theater?" or whatever.
    All the panel rooms are on the top floor, which is U-shaped. The left side of the U contains 5 panel rooms. The right side contains two workshops. We are going to put signs in the hall outside each room that have the name of the room. The numbers that the building assigns to the rooms are very confusing. It's even more confusing because the rooms are completely configurable, so some of the numbers are actually the same room.
  • As much fun as naming them may be, wouldn't it be better to give them meaningful names like "Panel 301" or "Workshop 211" where "311" and "211" are the actual room numbers in the hotel/convention center/etc.?
    Unless you have prior knowledge of the layout on the building (ie you work there) the actual room numbers are no more meaningful than made up ones.
  • edited April 2011
    Scott's names are good for another reason; they are short & easy to say/understand. When you are telling someone where to go, "Hero" is easier to text or holler than "Everfree Forest."
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • DaVinci for arts & crafts. Not every art or craft involves inkstained hands or pencils. Some involve knitting needles or malted barley.
  • Obviously, we want a theme going. No, we're not naming them after individual My Little Ponies (as much as I would like to).
    Why aren't you? It would seem awesome. If not the individual ponies, what about the areas?

Fillydelphia, Ponyvilla, Cloudsdale, Canterlot, Everfree Forrest, Hoofington, Whitedale Wood, Trottingham, and Appleloosa. Those would be PRO.
    I second this.
  • Panels:
    Dragon/Mage/Wizzzard (fantasy)
    Mecha/Ninja/Tentacle (anime/manga)
    Rocket/Blaster/Black Hole (sci-fi)
    Hero/Mutant/Watcher (comics)
    Pawn/Dice/Reaper (gaming),
    Pencil/Needle/Glitter (art/crafts)

Workshops:
    Gnome/Tinker/Tool Box/Sand Box/Pick Axe/ (some Mine Craft reference)
  • All the panel rooms are on the top floor, which is U-shaped. The left side of the U contains 5 panel rooms. The right side contains two workshops. We are going to put signs in the hall outside each room that have the name of the room. The numbers that the building assigns to the rooms are very confusing. It's even more confusing because the rooms are completely configurable, so some of the numbers are actually the same room.
    Fair enough. With a layout as straight-forward as that and with a number assigning scheme that isn't straight-forward, then there is certainly no harm in giving rooms fun names.
    Unless you have prior knowledge of the layout on the building (ie you work there) the actual room numbers are no more meaningful than made up ones.
    It depends on the numbering scheme and signage used by the building. For example, if the first digit of the room number indicates the floor of the room and the building has plenty of signs showing which direction a particular room is, then it works well. If you're looking for room 311 and you know/make a reasonable assumption that the "3" means "third floor," you go to the third floor. If once there you see a sign that says "300-306 left, 307-312 right" you know to take a right, etc.

Now if the signage is poor and/or the numbering scheme is arbitrary, this doesn't work out, obviously.
  • Inkstain" or similar would better express the DIY nature.
    No! That sounds yucky! Artists don't like ink stains!
    Dragon, Ninja, Mutant, Starship, Dice, Tinker are some names I like
  • THERE MUST BE PONIES! It would honestly be so easy to put pegasus or unicorn for the fantasy room. It still fits the bill.
  • THERE MUST BE PONIES! It would honestly be so easy to put pegasus or unicorn for the fantasy room. It still fits the bill.
    PAX already has unicorn theater. Do they have pegasus also?
  • PAX already has unicorn theater. Do they have pegasus also?
    Yes, iirc.
  • If you want to take the con name literally, and make people groan, might I suggest:

- IEEE 1394 (aka Firewire)
    - USB
    - Cat-5
    - RS-232
    - OPCG (optical cable)
    - 802.15.1 (aka Bluetooth)

And so on...
  • This thread makes me sad I can't make it to Connecticon. I'll get there soon enough. 2012, I'm committing now!
  • No, we're not naming them after individual My Little Ponies (as much as I would like to).
    Honesty, Loyalty, Laughter, Kindness, Generosity, Magic, Harmony
    Magic and Harmony are the workshop rooms. Loyalty is the largest panel room; Honesty, the smallest.