This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110405 - Yomi: Fantasy Strike

edited April 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we review Yomi: Fantasy Strike (from the maker of Puzzle Strike). But before that, Rym has a geekbite on the Rush'n Attack reboot Rush'n Attack: Ex-Patriot (TL;DL: not enough rushing, too much Russian, and far too little attacking) and Scott considers Jane McGonigal's new game Find the Future.

Download MP3

Comments

• I really hope that the raw sprouts comment was a joke. Raw sprouts are one of the worst things to eat in terms of food poisoning.
  • You can apply for the game online and not at the library, saved you a trip there.
  • I really hope that the raw sprouts comment was a joke. Raw sprouts are one of the worst things to eat in terms of food poisoning.
    I guarantee that it was. It's one of Pete's favorite things to harp on. Almost as much as raw milk.
    I like you.
  • Another note about Yomi. When it comes to actual fighting games, the execution factor usually means you have to stick to mastering just a few characters as a low level player. In Yomi, you can use all the characters from the get go.
  • I have entered the contest.
  • I played Puzzle Strike at Zenkaikon and while I initially looked at the game skeptically it actually seems like it is a fun game, it's like Dominion in that you build your deck and at the same time you send attacks at your opponents and can eliminate other players. At the same time it simulates Puzzle Fighter the video game really well.
  • I've got both Puzzle Strike and Yomi coming in the mail (although Yomi won't ship until company restocks in May). Looking forward to trying these out. Might hold off on listening to the episode so I can form my own opinions from playing. I haven't read any detailed critique of the games yet, but have gotten a lot of positive recommendations.
  • edited April 2011
    I can't access BGG, but this sounds like Brawl. Can you play vs multiple people? (Listened to the rest & was answered.) Brawl was great, but the best and only way to play is on a round table battling the person to the left and right of you simultaneously.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I can't access BGG, but this sounds like Brawl. Can you play vs multiple people? Brawl was great, but the best and only way to play is on a round table battling the person to the left and right of you simultaneously.
    We've played Brawl. It's nothing like it.
  • Did anyone else notice the sound level drop dramatically in the closing of this episode? I thought it might be my headphones, but confirmed it through speakers.
  • edited April 2011
    I can't access BGG, but this sounds like Brawl. Can you play vs multiple people? Brawl was great, but the best and only way to play is on a round table battling the person to the left and right of you simultaneously.
    We've played Brawl. It's nothing like it.
    Ah. It sounds like something Jeremy and his friends would like. I'll have to mention this to him.
    Did anyone else notice the sound level drop dramatically in the closing of this episode? I thought it might be my headphones, but confirmed it through speakers.
    Nope.
  • I played Puzzle Strike the other week at my friend's. It was pretty cute game. Puzzle Fighter is one of my all time favorite puzzle games, so I dug that aspect of it. The use of chips had it's good and bad points. I remember fumbling around with them and when you had a lot it was a bit of a pain to hold my hand. I did like how it reproduced the style of Puzzle Fighter.

Though I was kind of turned off by the art in this game. The SD characters are really oddly proportioned for SD and not very cute at all which is a turn off. Admittedly, I am an art whore when I look at games. Which sadly (as with many other things) cool art != something good. But I'd still like the game better if I though the art was cuter. <3 Though looking at the art for Yomi (which appears to be the same artist) I can get more into it.
  • How many cards are in a deck? I'm trying to figure out how much of a pain in the ass it would be to assemble the decks in the PDF version.
  • How many cards are in a deck? I'm trying to figure out how much of a pain in the ass it would be to assemble the decks in the PDF version.
    Yomi is regular decks of playing cards + 2 jokers.
  • so the pdf is $15
    it'll cost ~$30 to have it printed in color (as that is actually cheapter than buying a new ink cartridge for my printer :/ )
    A couple hours of elbow grease and paper cuts

meh, I'd just buy it at that point.
  • I made the PnP version. I was able to print them at work so that saved a lot of $$.
    I snagged some playing cards at the dollar store (2 per pack), the only thing i didn't account for is sleeves :(

8$ for 100 at my local game store. 8x10(sleeves) + 15(pdf) + 5(cards) = 100$ yikes. only have 4 characters sleeved right now, gonna have to find some cheaper ones online before i do the rest.

-Also Rym were you able to find the keynote online? My GF missed it but all the ones i found on youtube are pretty poor quality. i might just send her the TED talk instead
  • Card sleeves are fail! Death to all card sleeves.
    I disagree. It's a personal preference. We play the shit out of Dominion so our investment with getting card sleeves to help protect them so we don't have to repurchase the game.

There are ways to shuffle sleeved cards vs the normal way, and it works just fine.

I also mentioned before, some people don't know how to wash/wipe their fucking hands in my group of people who game with us. I call them out on it all the time, and they seemed to have gotten better, but every now and then there is always that one guy.
  • Cards get worn out, it's ok. All gaming pieces get worn out. Wooden cubes, cardboard tiles, even the boards themselves. It doesn't make the game unplayable. Card sleeves make it significantly more difficult to shuffle properly. I've never had to replace a card game ever, despite never using sleeves.
    I completely agree. If I played a game so much that I'd worn the cards to the point of it effecting the game, then I'd have no problem purchasing a second copy.
  • I've never had to replace a card game ever, despite never using sleeves.
    If you play with or use, say, witches more often than another card, the witches become worn faster, and are identifiable in the deck.
  • I've never had to replace a card game ever, despite never using sleeves.
    If you play with or use, say, witches more often than another card, the witches become worn faster, and are identifiable in the deck.
    The coppers and estates already have this problem. At least for Dominion the problem is minimal. Knowing what is in your deck or your opponent's hands matters relatively little unless you are trying to stack your deck. What determines winning is really your decisions of what to buy.
  • edited April 2011
    Card sleeves are fail! Death to all card sleeves.
    I completely agree. If I played a game so much that I'd worn the cards to the point of it effecting the game, then I'd have no problem purchasing a second copy.
    Not that I have any examples, but what about card games that are no longer in print for some stupid reason? Or the game becomes way too expensive? In some instances purchasing card sleeves is cheaper in the long run.

As for the shuffling problem, my group doesn't have this problem. Adapt.

Mayday Games has a YouTube video on their main page on how to shuffle sleeved cards. :P
  • Scott just doesn't like to be wrong.

Haters gotta Hate.
  • The out of print/crazy expensive factor is a completely valid defense for why someone would want to sleeve their cards. My only response is that it's simply a risk I'm willing to take, but that I understand your view.
  • I've never had a card game get fucked up to the point where it would need to be replaced, ever. So even if it were out of print and rare, I wouldn't sleeve that shit because I never expect to have to replace it. So there.

• I've never had a card game get fucked up to the point where it would need to be replaced, ever. So even if it were out of print and rare, I wouldn't sleeve that shit because I never expect to have to replace it. So there.
    You obviously don't play enough games then. :P
    You obviously don't play enough games then. :P
    And he obviously doesn't play games with people who spill their drinks on the table all the time.