This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Play Diplomacy

edited March 2008 in Board Games
I've recently started to play diplomacy and I found this website PlayDiplomacy. Just thought I'd let you know.

Comments

• Bumping because of a private Diplomacy game we're playing in the FRC. I'd encourage players in that game to check this out.
  • I love diplomacy but haven't been able to play a real sit-down game in years. I 'd love to play online at some point.
  • I've never played Diplomacy but I'd love to give it a shot one day. I want to see if it lives up to its reputation as the friendship killer.
  • I've never played Diplomacy but I'd love to give it a shot one day. I want to see if it lives up to its reputation as the friendship killer.
    It's only a friendship killer if all your friends are immature drama whores. With regular gamers, it's just a fun game like any other.
    It's only a friendship killer if all your friends are immature drama whores. With regular gamers, it's just a fun game like any other.
    This right here!

Everyone talks about how Diplomacy destroys friendships, but if you play with reasonable people who are able to separate the game from their lives, it isn't a problem at all.
    I'm too old to have drama whore friends anymore. We stopped inviting those people around for gaming years ago.

I didn't cite its reputation actually thinking anyone would lose a friend, that's just silly. I'm more interested to see if the game affords you enough opportunities for dicking over of other players to warrant this crazy reputation. I love competitive play.
  • edited April 2011
    I didn't cite its reputation actually thinking anyone would lose a friend, that's just silly. I'm more interested to see if the game affords you enough opportunities for dicking over of other players to warrant this crazy reputation. I love competitive play.
    That's ALL the game is.

Basic summary of Diplomacy rules:

It's like Risk, except every country only has exactly one military unit, period. All those units are equally powerful.

Every turn you have a piece of paper. On that piece of paper you write down the orders you are going to give to each of your units and turn in the order sheet before the time is over. If you fail to turn in the sheet, you are fucked. The orders you can give are attack, support, defend, etc.

Because of the way the game rules work, you need allies. Want to attack? Well every country is one unit. If you have someone surrounded, you can attack and support with the other adjacent territories you own. But if you aren't in such a great position, you need other players to cooperate to make progress.

While the timer is running before the deadline to hand in orders, you can do anything you want. You can role play. You can hand in your orders immediately and do nothing. You can lock someone in the bathroom to prevent them from getting their orders in. You can get out some paper and write treaties. You can get some one time pads and pass around encrypted messages. You can take a drive to get pizza and purposefully not get back in time. You can hand in your order, then break all the pens and pencils in the house. It's a free for all.

When the timer runs out you look at all the orders and execute them according to the rules. Then you turn the timer over and play another round. Continue until someone wins. You can quit at any time, or declare a tie, or whatever. It's all in the rules.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Thanks for the good summary! I have a few people I know in mind who would be perfect to play this with. Gonna make it happen.