This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX Prime 2011

edited April 2011 in Conventions
From the East Thread:
Posted By: gundabadHotel reg is up for Prime
Book now, or don't even bother. It's not like they're charging your card now anyways.

FYI, Enforcers got to book ages ago. :P

Comments

• If you can't get into the Sheraton, go for the Red Lion. It's superb.

We'll be out Thursday for gaming pre-con. ;^)
  • I pretty much prefer the Sheraton and it has some decent game playing tables. The Roosevelt was alright.
  • Won't be there this year but last year we stayed at the Ramada Downtown. It was nice, 10min walk, and $88 per night. I don't recommend staying anywhere other than attached to the convention if you have the choice, but if you really need to save money, it's an option. If I was there this year it would be Sheraton all the way. On the good side, the Ramada is a few doors down from Top Pot Doughnuts, so you've got breakfast plans every morning. Plus, walking past it at 2AM on the way back when they are baking is divine.
  • I'm determined to go to PAX Prime this year, but I'm a newbie to cons. What's the best way to find someone to split a hotel room with? Penny Arcade forums perhaps?
  • I'm determined to go to PAX Prime this year, but I'm a newbie to cons. What's the best way to find someone to split a hotel room with? Penny Arcade forums perhaps?
    Yes. Or here. Or make friends go.
  • Penny Arcade forums perhaps?
    That, or your friends, or this forum I'd say.
    Yes. Or here. Or make friends go.
    Just make sure that if you convince friends to go, you don't wind up dragging dead weight with you! At the first PAX East I went with a lot of people, but they wound up wanting to only causally take in the con and spend their nights in bars, whereas I was living and breathing PAX.

This mistake was not repeated for future PAXes. I only brought two local people along with me last time and enjoyed myself much more hanging out with various groups of people I knew mainly from the internet who were equally excited to be there.

Check out the PAX forum community events. The people at them are very friendly, as are the people in this forum. Go play a game with them, don't be shy!
  • Another newbie question, but what's the typical cost per night when splitting a room with people? Can I get away with ~$150 or less for the entire three days or is that not possible?
  • Another newbie question, but what's the typical cost per night when splitting a room with people? Can I get away with ~$150 or less for the entire three days or is that not possible?
    Yes.

Sheraton goes for $169/night, but that's only two people you claim to have in the room. Just ask for extra room keys.

At $169/night for 3 nights divided by 4 people is around $130/person.
    Yes.

Sheraton goes for $169/night, but that's only two people you claim to have in the room. Just ask for extra room keys.

At $169/night for 3 nights divided by 4 people is around $130/person.
    That's not the actual cost. Remember hotel taxes are a lot.
  • Yeah, I was going by the base, but even with taxes it should still be less than $150 and I even added an extra night of staying on Thursday night instead of just Friday & Saturday night and checking out on Sunday.

That really grinds my gears. With hotels making the cost more after 2 people. If it can room up to 4 people comfortably it should stay at the base rate.
  • RymRym
    edited April 2011
    That really grinds my gears. With hotels making the cost more after 2 people. If it can room up to 4 people comfortably it should stay at the base rate.
    Well, you do use twice as much hot water and twice as many towels.

The real issue is that the hotel industry isn't doing so well. Tourists use the Internet to find the absolute cheapest rooms, and hardly anyone cares about loyalty programs enough to choose their branded hotel over a cheaper generic one. They can't sell $25/day Internet or $9 pay-per-view movies to someone with an iPhone. The only people who pay for these archaic perks are the old and the clueless. Business travelers used to, but business travel, especially with all expenses covered on a company card with no limit, has dropped off like a rock.

Couple this with the fact that the large, growing geek/nerd conventions are attended largely be people who are perfectly fine sharing rooms. Much smaller traditional events probably sell far more total hotel rooms due sheerly to the fact that strangers won't room together as willingly.

So, hotels cut back on services and charge for anything they can get away with.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I remember my room at the Sheraton and it comfortably fit my brother, my father, and myself. Although, I wouldn't mind paying the 169 for just myself, considering how close it is to the convention center and hoe nice the rooms are. Seriously, they're awesome. Still, the price really does hurt. Maybe I'll hit up Sail.
  • We used to cram 6-7 people per room into adjoining rooms at the Renaissance for Otakon. Shower was the only limiting factor.
  • We used to cram 6-7 people per room into adjoining rooms at the Renaissance for Otakon. Shower was the only limiting factor.
    I remember those days, and while that was fun in its own right, I much prefer a properly-booked room.
  • I've had up to six people in a room no problem, in a way that is not at all verifiable or traceable to any con I currently attend. Just don't be a dumbass posting on the forums/wandering around the lobby shouting "Man, it sure is nice to fuck over the hotel by slamming six people in our room!" and you'll be fine.
  • RymRym
    edited April 2011
    Just don't be a dumbass posting on the forums/wandering around the lobby shouting "Man, it sure is nice to fuck over the hotel by slamming six people in our room!" and you'll be fine.
    Or requesting four more pillows, a rollaway for a double-booked room with two beds, or eight room keys...
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Bring extra pillows and towels with you. (Or steal towels from the pool.) That's the way to do it.
  • I remember those days, and while that was fun in its own right, I much prefer a properly-booked room.
    I still prefer further only 2 people per room. Those hotel beds are stupid small.
  • Those hotel beds are stupid small.
    Get a girlfriend. You won't mind it nearly as much.
  • Or requesting four more pillows, a rollaway for a double-booked room with two beds, or eight room keys...
    I've always requested extra pillows, towels, and room keys and they never asked or charged me for saying I only had 2 people staying in the room.
    Get a girlfriend. You won't mind it nearly as much.
    Touche. But then again George and Wyatt did spoon.
  • I still prefer further only 2 people per room. Those hotel beds are stupid small.
    Double queens in every hotel we ever use for a con.
    I've always requested extra pillows, towels, and room keys and they never asked or charged me for saying I only had 2 people staying in the room.
    Depends on the hotel. Hotels by anime cons are much stricter, as they tend to have gaggles of underage kids crammed into rooms and causing problems. ;^) I've seen groups kicked out of hotels or charged before at Otakons and Anime Centrals.
  • Depends on the hotel. Hotels by anime cons are much stricter, as they tend to have gaggles of underage kids crammed into rooms and causing problems. ;^) I've seen groups kicked out of hotels or charged before at Otakons and Anime Centrals.
    This is also why gaming cons are better than anime cons as well as no longer looking like a young punk kid. Adulthood FTW!
  • longer looking like a young punk kid. Adulthood FTW!
    It's amazing how much one can get away with simply by looking like an adult.
  • Double queens in every hotel we ever use for a con.
    I can easily occupy an entire queen-sized bed. Sometimes, I've woken up laying along the diagonal of a king-sized bed. Beds can get small quickly.
  • I can easily occupy an entire queen-sized bed. Sometimes, I've woken up laying along the diagonal of a king-sized bed. Beds can get small quickly.
    They are never long enough for Jeremy. Damn tall giant.
  • Double queens in every hotel we ever use for a con.
    I can easily occupy an entire queen-sized bed. Sometimes, I've woken up laying along the diagonal of a king-sized bed. Beds can get small quickly.
    You also do just fine sharing a double/full size bed. Of course, I know where to poke you to get you to move the fuck over. ;)
  • You also do just fine sharing a double/full size bed. Of course, I know where to poke you to get you to move the fuck over. ;)
    Pete likes to get poked by girls!
  • You also do just fine sharing a double/full size bed. Of course, I know where to poke you to get you to move the fuck over. ;)
    This thread sure took an unexpected turn.
  • You also do just fine sharing a double/full size bed.
    I've become accustomed to sharing a bed with you. That has a lot to do with it.
    SCANDALOUS!