This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Free Comic Book Day 2011

edited April 2011 in Manga/Comics
No one has made a thread yet, but it's coming up! Here's the list. Some interesting stuff on there, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Darkwing Duck, and The Misadventures of Adam West(!?).

Comments

• edited April 2011
    2010!! Ooooh. A:TLA.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • oooh LOCKE & KEY
  • It's a pretty weak FCBD from my perspective. Still looking forward to my annual dose of Bongo Free-For-All.
  • Sail, you seem to have forgotten to list Dark Crystal, Inspector Gadget, and the Tick.
  • Also Mouse Guard.
  • Also Mouse Guard.
    Mouse Guard == Dark Crystal
  • ooooo Atomic Robo.
  • Sonic is probably crap, but I still really want it. I have so much nostalgia for the books. I've probably read those books more than any other books.
  • Sail, you seem to have forgotten to list Dark Crystal, Inspector Gadget, and the Tick.
    Nope!

Ok, I forgot The Tick, but Inspector Gadget sucks.
  • It's this Saturday folks. Jeremy and I are making a stop at our local shop, perhaps another one we used to frequent. Also our local library is participating in it as well which is right down the street from our local comic book shop. Sweet.
  • Sonic is probably crap
    /___________\
  • So I've read a few of them already (was busy hanging out with friends for most of the day).

The Mouse Guard one is pretty awesome, as expected.

The Darkwing Duck one is actually pretty good, and I will definitely be keeping an eye on it. It's got a pretty cool "Dark Knight Returns" vibe to it. (The chapter is even titled "The Duck Knight Returns")
  • I missed out on getting the comics I really wanted to get (Mouse Guard and Darkwing Duck) so I was only able to pick up Bone and the Top Shelf collection. Bone was just a short colored segment from near the end of the story (spoilers much?) but it was my first time seeing it colored and it looked pretty nice. The Top Shelf collection, however, was great and had some nice funny bits in it.
  • I missed out on getting the comics I really wanted to get (Mouse Guard and Darkwing Duck) so I was only able to pick up Bone and the Top Shelf collection. Bone was just a short colored segment from near the end of the story (spoilers much?) but it was my first time seeing it colored and it looked pretty nice. The Top Shelf collection, however, was great and had some nice funny bits in it.
    This is why you should order from DCBS. 5 FCBD comics guaranteed.
  • I'll have to remember that for next year!
    It won't help you unless you order every month.
  • I didn't get my hands on the Avatar one, but they usually put them up for free online after FCBD, so I still hold out hope. Haven't read any of my other comics yet.
  • We stopped by two stores and got everything we wanted from what I can recall. Got Mouseguard, Avatar, Stuff of Legend, and the Smurfs to name a few.

I also picked up Castle Waiting and Stuff of Legend Vol 2 and that's not even released on Amazon until 05/17. Got them on discount because of FCBD.

For those who got Stuff of Legend check it out. Seriously, it's good stuff.
    It won't help you unless you order every month.
    I've decided to start doing that, too, and...

Do people really buy these 12 dollar variant covers? They're just a joke, right?
  • edited May 2011
    Do people really buy these 12 dollar variant covers? They're just a joke, right?
    There are a lot of morons out there.

Basically the variant cover scam works like this. The publisher prints the variant cover at a certain rate depending on the issue. Pretend it's 1/75. That means if the comic book store orders 75 issues of the comic, they'll get one copy with the variant cover. If they order 150 they'll get two copies. There are so few comic book stores per variant issue that there is at least one moron per comic shop who wants that variant really badly.

The publishers are happy because this artificially raises the sales figures for that comic. Since the sales figures are counted by how many issues were sold to comic shops, not to people, a comic might appear to be a hot seller when it really just has a rare variant cover. Meanwhile all these comic shops are sitting there with 50 issues they can't sell just because they wanted the one variant cover they could sell at a ridiculous price to a crazy collector. Even if no crazy collectors come into their store, they can always sell the variant cover on eBay for a crazy high price. There are people paying a lot more than $12 for these things. Try $70+ depending on the issue.

The comic shop does the math and figures out it can make more profit on selling that one variant cover than what it cost to buy those 75 regular issues it mostly can't sell. Those 75 other issues end up at conventions in the dollar and/or fifty-cent bins.

By catering to these few crazy collectors and ignoring normal people the US comic industry has the same problems as the anime industry with its moe-ness. Actually, the other way around because the comic industry had the problems first.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • We stopped by two stores and got everything we wanted from what I can recall. Got Mouseguard, Avatar, Stuff of Legend, and the Smurfs to name a few.

I also picked up Castle Waiting and Stuff of Legend Vol 2 and that's not even released on Amazon until 05/17. Got them on discount because of FCBD.

For those who got Stuff of Legend check it out. Seriously, it's good stuff.
    I was very pleasantly surprised that the Stuff of Legend vol 2 was released. I had no idea. Picked up that and the Unwritten vol 3, besides the free stuff. Overall, a very good day.