This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Show Ideas and Reminders

Comments

• Dude, I don't think R&S; Watch Anime that came from America.
  • Chrono, they haven't watched TV in years, so I doubt they even know what it is.
    OH HOW WRONG YOU ARE.

STEVE HOLT!

Beatrice.....
    I can believe it took me so much time to answer this but :

STEVE HOLT!
  • Annyong
  • Dude, I don't think R&S; Watch Anime that came from America.
    Agreed.
  • I saw a friend reading Diamond Age and remembered you guys talking about it. Possibly book preview/reviews once in a while on Thursdays?
  • edited May 2007
    As long as they don't make crap like Totally Spies and Code:Leokko that only have the style and not the story elements that Japanese Anime have.
    Code: Lyoko is french as well. ... Maybe its the French that have it all wrong. ...
    Post edited by Rym on

• Rym likes avatar. I haven't watched Avatar, and I remain skeptical. Totally Spies is French.
    I have the season one DVDs and the first two DVDs for season two. I'm not that far away if you don't want to Netflix them.
  • edited May 2007
    Weddings. How not to suck at debating/arguing.
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • How to not suck at making up Thursday ideas
  • How to not suck at making up Thursday ideas
    LOL
  • Accents. You should do a Thursday show on Accents.

1. Start with an introduction. Do your friends/family have accents? What type of accents are they, and do they notice it themselves?
    2. What types of accents have you experienced over the years and which ones stuck out the most? Why did those accents stick out and what made them different from other accents that you have heard before?
    3. List some of the funniest accents that you have ever heard.
    4. Try to imitate some accents during the episode!

Each number could take up about 8 minutes each, not including anecdotes and the works. Although I REALLY don’t expect you guys to do this, it’d be incredible if you did.
  • Annyong
    Again it took me long enough :(

Hello?
  • How 'bout you pick one news item from during the week. Don't talk about it until Thursday. Then do a whole show on it, since you do this a lot anyway.
  • Not a Thursday show but...

How about doing a show on dubs for good anime where the dubbing was bad? Would it be possible to play sound clips of the original voice actor and then follow it up with the English voice actor to show how much was lost by changing voices?
  • This would probably have to be a Thursday show idea as I doubt it would slot into any other day...well, perhaps Tuesdays.

Anyway, how about a show relating to Japanese music? I've enjoyed some here and there but not only do I not know what would be good, I don't really know where I'd go to find any.

I'd be interested to hear what got you interested in Japanese music and where you've branched out to from there.
    It'd also be interesting to hear how/where/what you guys find in the way of Japanese music that is interesting .
  • Anyway, how about a show relating to Japanese music? I've enjoyed some here and there but not only do I not know what would be good, I don't really know where I'd go to find any.
    First, check out the Beat Crusaders. Google for downloads, I found mine on LimeWire. Check out the album P.O.A. Pop on Arrival first. Next, The Pillows. If you are familiar with FLCL, you already know their music. Check out this page for virtually every anime and video game soundtrack ever.

If you want to find new Japanese music, start with some anime music you like and then find out who the song was done by. There are tons of sites that host and torrent asian music, you just have to search for them.
  • I just got the DVD special edition of Pan's Labyrinth and it is awesome. I would really recommend Scrym to take some time to watch the movie and do a critic show about that one. It is really a master piece.
  • You fuckers owe me a "How to get into Anime" episode.
  • You fuckers owe me a "How to get into Anime" episode.

You need to transform yourself into an animated character. I'd suggest Japanese school girl.
  • Annyong
    Again it took me long enough :(

Hello?
    Sorry. I haven't checked this thread in ages, so I can only belatedly say:

Annyong!

Seriously, this was THE best sitcom ever made. I own it all. I watch it continuously. I demand a Thursday show about it. There's much to talk about: It was a radical departure from sitcom norms, took a deconstructionist turn on the genre, went from a setup-punchline structure to a punchline-setup-setup structure, has some of the absolutely most unlovable characters in history that I can't help but adore (GOB is GOD), has among the most quotable in-jokes in all of television history, had self-mocking and self-referencing humor, and managed to actually come up with new content and plot lines -- something that half-hour television simply doesn't do anymore.

Tobias Fünke: Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist.
  • Programming Languages?
  • Moments after submitting my previous post, I find a new episode entitled "Getting Into Programming" So, never mind then...
  • edited May 2007
    Here is some list of random ideas for shows. Forgive me if you have covered any of these, as I am just now catching up on old shows. Also, forgive me if you think some or all of these ideas are retarded.

1) Linux programs in which no windows equivalent exists.
    2) The writings of Edgar Allan Poe.
    3) 80's culture (music, movies, style, books, etc.)
    4) Your favorite lesser known films.
    5) Opinions on the Half-Life series story line.
    6) Swedish culture.
    7) Deadwood - the TV show vs. reality.
    Post edited by zombie a gogo on
  • edited May 2007
    I think only one of those has been covered as far as I know - Edgar Allen Poe.

Also, Swedish culture? 
    Post edited by rhinocero on
  • I'm just into Sweden...I don't know why (I've never been there). I just seems like a great place to live. They're big on hockey, the music is probably the best in the world right now, the crime rate is very low, the women are beautiful.

As for the Poe episode, what number was that? You're not confusing it with the Lovecraft episode are you?
  • You guys should cover RDBMS.
  • I'm just into Sweden...I don't know why (I've never been there). I just seems like a great place to live. They're big on hockey, the music is probably the best in the world right now, the crime rate is very low, the women are beautiful. As for the Poe episode, what number was that? You're not confusing it with the Lovecraft episode are you?You're right on the Poe, I was.  shame on me.
    Swedish culture just seems sort of random as a topic.  Like, I don't have a problem with it, but it just seems really odd.
  • edited May 2007
    Well I guess in a way I do know what got me into Sweden, it was two things really. First, a few years back I wanted to get into some new metal bands and I discovered that probably 80% of the best ones were coming out of Sweden. Bands like Soilwork and In Flames soon began to dominate my listening time and have continued to do so today. If you've never heard Soilwork I encourage you to check them out...start with the newer albums and work your way back.

Second, when the NHL went through their lockout a couple years back, the sports networks up here (in Canada) began showing a lot of the Swedish Elite League hockey games. I found the hockey very good and the crowds over their really loved their hockey...and I could relate and appreciate that.

I thought that if the guys did a show on it, myself and others could learn some more interesting things about Sweden. I know they had some decent films come out of there as well...I believe a remake of Osynlige, Den (The Invisible) was recently release in North America.

I'm sure Sweden's geek culture is pretty good as well...that's what I'd like to hear more about.
    Post edited by zombie a gogo on
  • I'm sure Sweden's geek culture is pretty good as well...that's what I'd like to hear more about.
    Sweden's geek culture is very strong. That's where the Pirate Bay is.
  • Yarrrr Matey