This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110413 - MoCCA Festival 2011

edited April 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, with Emily as our guest host, we talk about all of the art and comics we found at the MoCCA Festival this year. But first, there being little news in this arena, "purified" illegal manga torrents, the Flash, and the 4kids bankruptcy.

We'll post a list of the comics in the forum later on.

Download MP3

Comments

• Just an after thought, are you going to post the how to run a panel panel on youtube or are the panels a per case basis based on the performance?
  • I also was thinking that we should have some eminent domain for copyrights and patents that are not in production. I think the problem would be that the valuation for these IPs should be valued at near zero if there is no profitable way to make them work.
  • It's weird listening to this episode while I sit next to Emily.
  • It's weird listening to this episode while I sit next to Emily.
    Did she bring the Gastrophobia comic to work with her? If so, read it. If not, http://www.gastrophobia.com/index.php
  • So yeah, I hate the big comic book publisher summer events. I get why the do them (the money) but ugh, they never work out all that well and get annoying. But, I just need to say last time I checked Golden Age Flash is still kicking with the Justice Society (not league) along with Golden Age Green Lantern and Wildcat. Also there are a ton of DC characters who's schtick is running really fast. It isn't just the Flash, some crap about the speed force or something.

I also checked out some of the 'Purified' Manga Scans today. It is pretty neat, the site had a reader (kind of like the Viz SigIkki site). The reader is a little clunky (not helped by my lack of understanding Japanese) but there is an option to translate to English. It is a little awkward, an overlay comes up with the text in English but it isn't oriented to the text bubbles. So, at this stage it is kind of neat but if a non-Japanese reading person wanted to use it, it would take a lot of patience.

I wanted to go to MoCCA but it was practical in terms of my budget. I need food first... Maybe next year.
  • Did she bring the Gastrophobia comic to work with her? If so, read it. If not, http://www.gastrophobia.com/index.php
    I have it with me today. It is very funny!
  • By knowing the "minimum information" about The Flash, Scott knows nothing about the Flash; I have no idea who this Wally Wood is. Basically every Flash that has ever existed are all alive, including Jay Garrick (dude with the bowl on his head) Why? It's comic books, it's magic, it's supernatural, it's time travel...
  • edited April 2011
    By knowing the "minimum information" about The Flash, Scott knows nothing about the Flash; I have no idea who this Wally Wood is. Basically every Flash that has ever existed are all alive, including Jay Garrick (dude with the bowl on his head) Why? It's comic books, it's magic, it's supernatural, it's time travel...
    I confused Wally Wood a real person in comics history, with Wally West. And yes, of course all the Flashes are alive because that's how they do comics. However, the second Flash was dead for quite a long time as far as superhero deaths go. It was the existence of the other Flashes that allowed this to happen. They had their cake and ate it too. They had a comic on the shelves entitled The Flash, and The Flash was in it, but The Flash was also dead.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited April 2011
    You have confused me, even though I know exactly what you're talking about. :)

If Emily loves comics with durp, has she ever read Dar! (Erika Moen)?
    Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • With all the mega summer crossovers by Marvel and DC nowadays, the continuity is becoming as confusing as the Samoan family tree in pro wrestling...
  • edited April 2011
    ROFL, beak first? That could have done some damage!
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • If Emily loves comics with durp, has she ever read Dar! (Erika Moen)?
    Yes! I like Erika Moen.
  • I'm just making note of Rym's epic fail pronunciation of "Voina".