This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Music Favorites

edited April 2006 in Suggestions
I know we all have our anime music that we love, but what about music in general. Like who does everbody like as far as rock, pop, and rap goes. I personally listen to rock bands that have been around for a long time and are still going, like Pearl Jam (1990-?), Red Hot Chili Peppers(1983-?), and Weezer (1992-?). And for those who don't know, Pearl Jam and the Chili Peppas are coming out with new albums. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

So personally, I'd like to hear what Rym and Scott listen to. And also, Richard Cheese. He's like Wierd Al, but in a totally different and awesome way. You can find him here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Cheese on wiki.

Comments

• I'm a big fan of iron maiden, Sum41 and AC/DC
    --
    The Clash, T-rex and The Ramones are good too.
  • I listen to a lot of different genres of music. It's easier for me to list the music I don't like than it is for me to list the music I do like. I don't like country music and I don't like gansta hip-hop. I do like western and I do like non-gansta hip-hop.

Since it would be impossible to list them all, here is a small sample of my favorite musical artists:

Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, Foreigner, The Who, The Doors, Van Halen, Hendrix, etc.
    Black Sabbath, Machinae Supremacy, Rammstein, AC/DC, Andrew WK, old Metallica, Apocalyptica, Nightwish, etc.
    George Clinton, Kool and the Gang, Bee Gees, etc.
    Dave Rodgers, Niko, Move, Leslie Parrish, D Essex, Franz Tornado, etc. (Super Eurobeat)
    BoA, Ayumi Hamasaki, Utada Hikaru, Asian Kung-Fu Generation, TMR, Yoko Kanno, L'arc en Ciel, Maaya Sakamoto, etc.
    Daft Punk, Basement Jaxx, Master Zap, Paul Oakenfold, Fatboy Slim, Darude, 2 Unlimited, etc.
    Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, etc.
    Lots and lots of soundtracks to different anime, movies and TV shows.
    Lots and lots of blues and jazz. No particular artists stand out though. I get it mostly from The Roadhouse podcast.

Dang, didn't even scratch the surface.
  • Beastie Boys, Run DMC, etc.
  • I love the Aquabats and you should too.
  • Music huh. Let me see what do I listen to

Japanese
    -Tons of opens and endings, JAM Project, Two-Mix, T.M. Revolution, High and Mighty Color, L'arc~en~ciel, etc

American
    -George Carlin, Bill Cosby, Metallica, Megadeath, Green Day, Movie Scores, 80's metal, can't think of anything else

Other
    -Nightwish, game OST, TF soundtracks, DDR music, Techno, Classical, Podcasts a plenty
  • I prefer to listen to artists over genres. For a quick reference, just take what Apreche said, and that's a lot of what I listen to. The exception is "old Metallica;" I listen to all Metallica. Yes, even St. Anger. Just not as much.

In addition, I listen to a lot of metal bands, many of which are obscure and extreme. I of course like your Slayer and your Anthrax, as well as the Cannibal Corpse, Nile, and Deicide. Recently, I've gotten into Behemoth, Amon Amarth, Dimmu Borgir, and Strapping Young Lad. Other good extreme bands are Children of Bodom (<3 Alexi Laiho), Kiuas, and Cradle of Filth.

I also enjoy power metal, symphonic metal, and symphonic power metal. Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Rhapsody (to some extent), Jag Panzer, Stratovarius, Dragonforce, Kamelot, Epica, Nightwish, and many others.

I'm a fan of a lot of prog and experimental stuff. Standard prog bands are Dream Theater and associated side projects, Pain of Salvation, Symphony X, Savatage, and a few others. On the experimental side, I've gotten into Buckethead recently, but I'm a big fan of Mike Patton and his bands (Mr. Bungle, Faith No More, Fantomas, and a hojillion others), as well as Ruins, Matmos, and a bunch of really out there experimental artists whose names I can't remember. I'm nominally a fan of most of that stuff; often, it's too weird for me to listen to exclusively.

As for hip-hop, I like the old-school stuff, but I'm into some good underground stuff. anitcon is my label of choice, as they feature a lot of strange artists: DoseOne, CloudDEAD, Why?, Themselves, and a few others. Sage Francis is my favorite underground hip-hop dude, but there are others out there, often related to the aforementioned artists, that are quite good. Atmosphere is another good example.

I could go on for a while, but I'll leave it there.
  • Don't forget nerdcore. I like nerdcore.
  • I hate the overuse of the "-core" designations.
  • Ok, big shot. What should they call it then?
  • Some of the stuff I listen to: Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Black Flag, The Clash, Iced Earth, Mad Season, Meat Puppets, The Melvins, Mudhoney, Black Sabbath, Pearl Jam, Rage Against the Machine, The Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Velvet Underground, Cradle of Filth

Moslty grunge and metalish with some rock. I like other genres(rap, j-pop, euro rock, etc), but I don't usually go out of my way to listen to them.
  • Holy fuck, how did I forget Iced Earth?

Also, I forgot about my favoritest artist ever: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. God fucking damn, check his stuff out.

As for the nerdcore thing, I find that a lot of bands get labeled "nerdcore" on occasion, even though they're often in very different genres. They Might Be Giants is often called "nerdcore," as is MC Frontalot, even though they're two totally different styles of music. I would prefer to have "nerd" as a prefix to the correct genre that the band represents: nerdhop, nerd metal, nerd punk, nerd pop, etc. Optionally, you can just describe the band to someone. I mean, I find it difficult to truly classify people like Nick Cave and Tom Waits, and bands like Apocalyptica, so I usually just through together a bunch of descriptions.

There is a usefulness to trying to fit bands to one genre, but excessive focus on genrification kinda destroys a lot of useful communication about bands.
  • I listen to mostly the older rock bands apreche listed, plus Emerson, Lake, & Palmer. Their stuff is great.

One question though, what is the difference between country and western?

And big ups to dragonforce, whaleshark- those 2 guitarists are insane!
  • Country is the twangy stuff nobody likes. Western is wild west cowboy music that you hear in wild west movies. At least those are my personal definitions.
  • Yeah, western music is awesome, with a whole orchestra going during a horse chase. I remember watching those as a little kid. Sadly, I think country music has ruined that feel. Now all I can think of is f*****g Garthe Brookes, even though country and western are vastly different like Scott said.

Who remembers Fievel Goes West? Those American Tail movies with the mice, that were really well done?
  • Oh yeah, I love that stuff, I just thought you were talking about subgenres of the country you hear on the radio or something... Yech.
  • Thrice :D
  • I listen to pretty much anything thats not pop or rap.
    Notable are; In Flames, Kittie, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, The dresden dolls and I'd go on, but Its too hard to type atm. Bet you havent heard of them before.
  • I've heard of the Dresden Dolls. They're pretty good.
  • Flogging Molly, Andrew W.K., John Wiliams, Yoko Kano, Nanase Aikawa and about a million others.
  • Flogging Molly and Youko Kanno! How could I forget? ORIGA has some awesome songs, but I don't listen to a lot of her stuff.
  • Didn't Yoko Kanno have that awesome song in the Cowboy Beebop movie? It was called "Ask DNA", and they played it at the beginning of the movie. I had only seen the movie at the time and not the series, so I was hoping it'd be the theme song.
  • Yes, Yoko Kanno did all the Cowboy Bebop music for the series and the movie. I actually have all of it.
  • Is it true that all they do is make music for anime series? That's awesome. I think they've done work on two other shows, but I don't know which.
  • edited February 2007
    Yoko Kanna is a person. She's a composer who is commonly known for her work on anime. Theres a list at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoko_kanno

I love the Stand alone complex intro's she did with ORIGA.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Ok, so she hires vocalists to sing the songs. IC. She must hire quite a few then, because all of her songs differ quite a bit.
  • The new Aghora album is awesome. Mr. WhaleShark should pick this up if he hasn't already. I also wonder what you think of "Scarsick" by Pain of Salvation. I have my own opinions on it but I wonder if you've listened to it yet.

/begging for a music discussion forum to troll
  • edited February 2007
    Sadly, I think country music has ruined that feel. Now all I can think of is f*****g Garthe Brookes, even though country and western are vastly different like Scott said.
    Country radio stations ruin country for everyone. Garth Brooks and the pop country people like Brooks & Dunn, Alabama, Travis Tritt, and such all suck ass, but are somehow popular. I really don't know why. If you want to hear real country, try Dwight Yoakum's "Guitars, Cadillacs, etc." and "Hillbilly Deluxe", k.d. lang's "Absolute Torch and Twang", anything by Hank Williams III (proof that musical talent skips a generation), much by Marty Stuart, Jean Ritchie, Kitty Wells, Doc Watson, Alison Kraus, The Carter Family, and Patsy Cline. Dolly Parton has done some good with tracks like "Hard Candy Christmas", "Rosewood Casket", "Wildflowers", "Those Memories of You", "Making Plans" and "The Grass is Blue", but she often falls into the big country pop star trap of trying to cross over. She actually covered "Stairway to Heaven" on her recent album "Halos and Horns". It's only worth listening to because it's so sad and wrong.

My artists with particular fave tracks: Robert Johnson ("Crossroad Blues", "Me and the Devil Blues", "Hellhound on my Trail", "Come on in My Kitchen"), Son House ("Death Letter Blues"), Blind Lemon Jefferson, Bessie Smith ("St. Louis Blues"), Little Walter ("Mean Old World"), Sonny Boy Williamson (Anything he touched is gold, but especially notice the "Chess 50th Anniversary Collection: Sonny Boy Williamson: His Best". "Fattening Frogs for Snakes", "All My Love in Vain", "Don't Start Me to Talkin'"and "Your Funeral and My Trial" really stand out), Howlin' Wolf ("Moanin' at Midnight"), Muddy Waters (Anything, anything), Big Joe Turner, Lil' Ed and the Imperials, John Lee Hooker, George Thorogood, B.B. King (If I had a country, like the guy who owns Sealand, "Three O'Clock Blues" would be the national anthem. No., maybe "Mean Old World" by Little Walter. Damn, now I can't decide.), The Paul Butterfield Blues Band ("Born in Chicago"), Ray Charles, Edwin Starr, Albert King, Elmore James ("Dust My Broom"), Miles Davis, Dexter Gordon, Charlie Parker, Thelonious Monk, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong (Don't be fooled by "What a Wonderful World". Listen to "St. James infirmary", "Tight Like That", and "Heah Me Talkin' to Ya"), Maria Callas, and Led Zeppelin . . . not a complete list. I might add more later. Lots of psychobilly is pretty cool, but the only band I really recognize in the genre is Ghouls Night Out.

If anyone has read this far, please, please go listen to "Three O'Clock Blues".
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited September 2008
    I listen to lots of metal, rock, techno/trance, anime/video game music, and blues. Some favorites are Dream Theater, Trivium, Dimmu Borgir, Devin Townshend, Strapping Young Lad, Killswitch Engage, Pantera, Koji Kondo, Nile, Avenged Sevenfold, As I Lay Dying, Black Sabbath, Daylight Dies, Dethklok, Digital Bass, Evergreen Terrace, Finntroll, Fall Of Olympus, Iron Maiden, Meshuggah, It Dies Today, Karl Sanders (Solo), Naglfar, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Saosin, KISS, Echoes Of Eternity, Sinergy, TSO, Thorns Of Ivy, Capharnaum, Twisted Sister, Unearth, Saxon, Van Halen, Winds of Plague, The GazettE, Bullet For My Valentine, Death, Sinergy, Opeth, and tons of other Techno, Blues, Anime & Video game music, and tons more.
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • RHCP
    Oasis
    Dir en Grey
    AC DC
    Bob Dylan
    Led Zepplin
    The Offspring
    Pink Floyd

Although I am German I hat Rammstein.
  • Any music that is good enough to make me close my eyes and imagine the greatest action scene ever.