This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Complete noob, looking for anime 101

Comments

• edited April 2011
    You can handle FSS and Legend of the Galactic Heroes if you already read/watched a lot of Space Operas. I think it's the difference between knowing that anime is a valid medium for those stories when you start getting into it, or having to learn that anime is a valid medium for those stories.

If you cannot immediately accept that anime is as valid as film or the written word, start with Scott's suggestions. I'd also recommend Space Battleship Yamato and TTGL. I feel like TTGL is a good anime "hook;" the action starts immediately and develops into a good story without giving you time to get bored or ponder whether or not the series is worth your time. However, Ghibli, Akira, GitS, Bebop, etc. take precedence.

Do not watch Claymore. If you need an ultraviolent anime, Fist of the Northstar. Accept no substitutes for the Hokuto Hyakuretsu Ken.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • @Apreche I know so many people who's first anime was FLCL. Baccano is definately noob friendly if they like Tarantino or Richie movies, and Moribito is just like Miyazaki but in TV format.
    Yeah, something is a first for everybody, and it may have worked, but they just beat the odds. That's like saying, yeah my friend bet on number 20 on a roulette table and won, so I bet on 20 every time! You just got lucky that one time. Don't take such crazy chances! Play it safe with the guaranteed awesome and accessible stuff before risking anything weird.

After the basics like the big movies from Miyazaki, Oshii, and Kon, the next step is to hit the sci-fi classics like Macross, Yamato, and Patlabor. They have a perfect mix of accessibility, nerdiness, and Japan-ness that make a good transition between a Cowboy Bebop and an Evangelion.
  • I would not suggest watching Evangelion when you're first starting out as it's one o those love it or hate it kind o shows. If someone likes it, good for them, bu they could easily hate it and it could sour anime for them. I personally do not like Eva because I feel like it is (I hate using this word, but it really fits here) pretentious. That combined with the incredibly creepy love of Rei and Asuka really turned me away from he show.
  • pretentious
    What pretentious really means: pretending to be important when you aren't.
    What most people mean when they use the word: That thing was acting all smart, but I don't think it was so smart.
    What they really mean: I didn't understand it.

Evangelion doesn't pretend to be important and great. It is important and great.

• edited April 2011
    pretentious
    2deep4u, bro.

FRCF -- /a/ --- /mu/.

Look, I'm learning to love Eva, and I don't disagree that it's a great show, but that argument is weak as hell, Scott.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • but that argument is weak as hell, Scott.
    Did it look like I was trying? Even if I gave the best argument in the universe, you think it would matter?

The thing about Eva is that everyone keeps pretending like it's so deep or complicated. It's ridiculously straightforward. Everything is spelled out for you in plain Japanese, or English in the subtitles. At the end of the show you know everything that happened, why, and the message the creator was trying to express. Along the way you have amazing animation, music, sound, characters, suspense, drama, surprise, comedy, mystery, horror, and every other thing you want in 26 episodes. I don't know how people be hating on it. The meta of what other people say about the show gets in the way of the show itself. You can't name many other anime TV shows that are as quality as Evangelion.

That being said, definitely don't watch it first. A lot of the show will be completely lost on someone who doesn't know anime.
  • Narutaru is a good primer to cheery slice-of-life/magical creature anime. I recommend it highly.
  • Narutaru is a good primer to cheery slice-of-life/magical creature anime. I recommend it highly.
    Are you kidding? You should be.
    Can you not see the tongue planted firmly in cheek?
    Yeah, I couldn't see it cause I was too busy having Vietnam-style flashbacks to reading that manga. I saw a snail...crawling across the edge... of a straight razor...that's my dream...its crawling, slithering across a straight razor...and surviving....
    Yeah, I couldn't see it cause I was too busy having Vietnam-style flashbacks to reading that manga. I saw a snail...crawling across the edge... of a straight razor...that's my dream...its crawling, slithering across a straight razor...and surviving....
    Test tubes.
  • edited April 2011
    I'm in a similar anime-lacking situation. All I've seen is:
    Cowboy Bebop
    Fist of the North Star (only the first 10 episodes so far, there are >100)
    Paranoia Agent
    Tokyo Godfathers
    Paprika
    Millenium Actress
    Ghost in the Shell
    My Neighbor Totoro
    the south park episode in anime style
    small amounts of Yu-Gi-Oh and Avatar: The Last Airbender when I was younger.

Dude! When you were YOUNGER? Avatar STARTED in 2005 and ENDED in 2008.. That was at the MOST 6 years ago,,,,

How the heck young are you?
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • I'm in a similar anime-lacking situation. All I've seen is:
    Cowboy Bebop
    Fist of the North Star (only the first 10 episodes so far, there are >100)
    Paranoia Agent
    Tokyo Godfathers
    Paprika
    Millenium Actress
    Ghost in the Shell
    My Neighbor Totoro
    the south park episode in anime style
    small amounts of Yu-Gi-Oh and Avatar: The Last Airbender when I was younger.

Dude! When you were YOUNGER? Avatar STARTED in 2005 and ENDED in 2008.. That was at the MOST 6 years ago,,,,

How the heck young are you?
    I'm 14. I saw the early ones when I was 8-10 probably. It feels like a long time ago.
  • edited April 2011
    Project A-ko, Dirty Pair, Cutey Honey
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • This will help you understand a conversation between anime fans: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Anime_and_manga_terminology
    Let's say I enjoyed movies like Saving Private Ryan, Chronicles of Riddick, Star Wars, some of the Star Trek movies, Serenity and some super hero movies. What anime movies would you recommend that resemble some of those?
    As Apreche said, you want Akira and Ghost in the Shell under your belt. Then I'd watch the Miyazaki films Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Princess Mononoke.

From there it is up to you. Space Opera is not as common in anime as it once was, and most of them are hard to recommend to beginners because they are older and more complex than your average anime.

I encourage you to finish Miyazaki, specifically My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away. Then Fullmetal Alchemist, either the original series or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It's steaming on Hulu so it'ss easy to find.

After that, because you like Science Fiction and Military, it is time to get into Mecha. I suggest you start with Full Metal Panic! which is a newer, lighter anime series that also has some excellent action. Then you should move on to Gundam. Either the Gundam movie trilogy or Gundam 08th MS Team are good places to start.

Good luck!
  • Project A-jo
    Are you talking about Project Aiko? Because nobody should watch that or any other anime you have listed. Ever.
  • Then Fullmetal Alchemist, either the original series or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It's steaming on Hulu so it'ss easy to find.

After that, because you like Science Fiction and Military, it is time to get into Mecha. I suggest you start with Full Metal Panic! which is a newer, lighter anime series that also has some excellent action.
    Fullmetal? Maybe... It was an exciting show when we first watched it, and it has something for everyone. However, it has no staying power whatsoever.

Full Metal Panic!? Hell no, it's not for n00bs.

Another good transition show for noobs - Read or Die OAV, NOT TV SERIES.
  • edited April 2011
    Project A-jo
    Are you talking about Project Aiko? Because nobody should watch that or any other anime you have listed. Ever.
    I haven't seen it, but from what I've heard that's not entirely fair to Project A-ko.

It's definitely not for noobs, though.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Full Metal Panic!? Hell no, it's not for n00bs.

Another good transition show for noobs - Read or Die OAV, NOT TV SERIES.
    Read or Die is a better choice, but Full Metal Panic!? isn't that inaccessible. Especially as a way to ease people into the harder Mecha shows. It is far more Japanese than anything else on that list, which is what I assume you're trying to avoid.
  • All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku
  • All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku
    Now you're trolling.
  • What are Mecha shows?

Also, how many Gundam are there?!? I'd only heard of Gundam Wing. What does Gundam mean or represent if there are multiple Gundam shows?
  • It is far more Japanese than anything else on that list, which is what I assume you're trying to avoid.
    High school accidental boob grab humor.
    What are Mecha shows?

Also, how many Gundam are there?!? I'd only heard of Gundam Wing. What does Gundam mean or represent if there are multiple Gundam shows?
    Ok dude, look. I do want to help you figure out some anime things. However, you have to show some effort on your own here. Do some research. Before you ask a question, use some Google. Go and do a search for mecha. Read the Wikipedia article on Gundam. Here, I'll help you get started.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Gundam
    https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Mecha_anime
  • It is far more Japanese than anything else on that list, which is what I assume you're trying to avoid.
    What are Mecha shows?

Ok dude, look. I do want to help you figure out some anime things. However, you have to show some effort on your own here. Do some research. Before you ask a question, use some Google. Go and do a search for mecha. Read the Wikipedia article on Gundam. Here, I'll help you get started.

Thanks and sorry. I feel like I relate to you guys (possibly due to the podcasts) so I am relying too heavily on everyone here for my learning rather than checking other venues. I'm getting ahead of myself anyway. I should be watching the anime we've already talked about rather than trying to learn about all anime right now.
    What are Mecha shows?

Thanks and sorry. I feel like I relate to you guys (possibly due to the podcasts) so I am relying too heavily on everyone here for my learning rather than checking other venues. I'm getting ahead of myself anyway. I should be watching the anime we've already talked about rather than trying to learn about all anime right now.
    Also, one of the best things to do is go to the Anime News Network Encyclopedia.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/

Just search for anime you know, and start clicking on links. Go see who the director is and click on their name to see what other things they have directed. Click on a show to see what the sequels and prequels and movies are and what order they go in. Click on the studio name to see what other shows they have made.
  • Another site you could use to look up anime is http://www.myanimelist.net/
  • Don't discount recommendations for goony shit. Vampire Hunter D and Project A-ko are what got me into anime.

Goony shit that is also inside baseball is the only real bad recommendation. Excel Saga means nothing to a non-anime-fan.
  • Isn't Project A-ko full of inside jokes, though?
  • Will I be attacked if I suggest Rurouni Kenshin? The first season of that show is one of the big kickers that pushed me into looking for other stuff.
  • edited April 2011
    Will I be attacked if I suggest Rurouni Kenshin? The first season of that show is one of the big kickers that pushed me into looking for other stuff.
    I don't think so. Kenshin is enjoyable up to the end of the Shishio arc. There may have been some decent ones after, but I don't recall.

Plus it actually ended before the 100 episode mark. The OVAs are a pretty good start into anime as well.
    Post edited by Rochelle on