This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Complete noob, looking for anime 101

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Will I be attacked if I suggest Rurouni Kenshin? The first season of that show is one of the big kickers that pushed me into looking for other stuff.
    If you're going to do anything related to Kenshin, just watch either the movies or read the manga. The anime suffers from the same problems as almost every other Shonen Fighting shows. Also, reading the manga will give you a basic knowledge of the Warring States Period of Japan, which is some good knowledge to have when watching anime.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • The OVAs are a pretty good start into anime as well.
    Actually, yeah I think I might push this in front of the tv show. I remember watching that first OVA and then telling all my friends to come over to "see how violent this cartoon is!"
    Also, reading the manga will give you a basic knowledge of the Warring States Period of Japan, which is some good knowledge to have when watching anime.
    I was going to also recommend the manga, seeing as it was one of my first manga and I was reading it before I was watching the show, but I refrained since this is an anime topic. But I do think that if he's ever interested in the idea of it that he should definitely read it.
  • edited April 2011
    @Badtchboy: Here are my recommendations for an older-than-13-year-old new to anime:
    Shows:
    - Neon Genesis Evangelion
    - Vision of Escaflowne
    - Rurouni Kenshin (sorta long series)
    - Haibane Renmei
    - Big O
    - Revolutionary Girl Utenna
    - Cowboy Bebop
    - Record of Lodoss War (also a sorta long series)
    - Slayers (another sorta long series, and a teensy bit on the juvenile side)
    Original Video Animation (or OVA for short, they're short series):
    Read or Die (NOT THE TV SHOW)
    Rurouni Kenshin (sometimes tragically called Samurai X)
    Giant Robo
    Movies:
    - Anything by Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Mononoke Hime, My Neighbor Totoro, etc.)
    - Millennium Actress
    - Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
    - Rurouni Kenshin (the movie's name escapes me, but you should watch it after watching a good chunk of the show)

These are some good, solid shows and movies to get you started. Don't worry about Scott's pricklyness. I can't comment on the Gundam shows as I have a pretty deep bias against it and wouldn't be a fair reviewer.

@Ro: There is one short 4-episode arc after the Shishio arc that involves Christianity coming to Japan that was pretty good, but it was all tripe after that.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • I don't think anyone's asked these pretty important questions:

1) How old are you?
    2) Which genres do you like the most (in terms of media from TV, films, books, etc.)?
  • I don't think anyone's asked these pretty important questions:

1) How old are you?
    2) Which genres do you like the most (in terms of media from TV, films, books, etc.)?
    Finally! From these questions one could learn so much about the persons taste, thus know what to recommend from there.

After that I would go the film route since they are contained. Then maybe a short series of OVA's and then recommend series based on their reaction to what they saw.

If you could, try watching with the person. That way you could explain things as they come.

I used to make mistakes a LOT of mistakes recommending anime, like just saying what's MY favorite.
  • If you want to be a real man you NEED; I REPEAT NEED; to watch Gurren Lagann. It is a great, nay super mindblowingly awesome mecha show.
  • Fate/Stay Night.
  • Fate/Stay Night.
    Do you really want him to hate anime that much?
  • Obviously, he should watch Urotsukidōji.
  • Oh yeah, you're right.

Kekko Kamen.
  • Kekko Kamen.
    I will accept this.
  • Obviously, he should watch Urotsukidōji.
    I said that on the previous page. Its a good one. Fun for the whole family! Its good to watch at a large family gathering like at Grandma's birthday or Easter or something.
  • edited April 2011
    Odin - Starlight Mutiny. It's a decent Space Opera. Also, since he has kids, I'd recommend La Blue Girl. It's an awesome magical girl show, focused on the school days of a 4th grade witch-in-training. Hilarious for kids, and plenty of in-jokes for the grown-ups. Try it out!
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • You're all terrible people.
  • You're all terrible people.
    There was ever any doubt?
  • Lensman.
    For reals, this is how I got into anime.

YMMV.
  • edited April 2011
    Fate/Stay Night.
    Lensman.
    Odin - Starlight Mutiny!
    Eiken.
    Urotsukidōji.
    Kekko Kamen.
    I hate you all so much.

:P
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I take some solace in the fact that no-one's recommending moe filth like Lotte no Omocha or KissxSis.
  • I take some solace in the fact that no-one's recommending moe filth like Lotte no Omocha or KissxSis.
    Kiss X Sis is filth, but not moe.
  • I would say (and I am being honest) - For the average adult beginner who likes intense action and Sci Fi:
    - Cowboy Bebop
    - Baccano
    - Ghost in the Shell TV and movies
    - A serious Gundam (Seed, maybe?)
    - Vision of Escaflowne
    - Moribito
    - Trigun
    - Evangelion (This is a polarizing one, but it is super important)

- Studio Ghibli Movies
    - Sataoshi Kon Movies
    - Mamoru Hosoda Movies (Girl Who Leapt through Time, and Summer Wars)
  • edited April 2011
    I don't think anyone's asked these pretty important questions:
    He was already asked to name shows and genres he enjoyed, though it took a while before he actually answered the question, and even voluntarily indicated he had kids, giving away his rough age group. Not that hard to miss, right? Seeing as other than that there's only been joke posts and Apreche posting in frothing fervour. On that same note, I think Apreche should stop reading this thread before he has an aneurysm.

@bodtchboy, just follow the general advice given in this thread. Watch Ghibli films, the kids can mostly watch them as well. Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, etc. Since you have Netflix, just look what it has to offer and see what people say about it on the internet (or just go mad and sample it yourself, manually, with all risks involved). Anime is just another medium, just look for reviews of stuff as you do for films or books or music to find out if you might like a particular show.
    I take some solace in the fact that no-one's recommending moe filth like Lotte no Omocha or KissxSis.
    Most of that stuff isn't deceptive in its self-presentation so suggesting it is kinda counter-productive if you actually want to make them watch it.
    Post edited by Zack Patate on
  • Thanks everyone! I watched the first episode of Trigun the other day on Netflix. I thought it was pretty good. From the animation, it seems old, but the story and characters seem ahead of its time. I'm looking forward to finding out more about the $60,000,000,000 man!
  • I watched the first episode of Trigun the other day on Netflix. I thought it was pretty good.
    Brother, you have no idea.
  • Just wait until you meet Wolfwood. Aw yeah.
  • It starts out goofy, and then...
  • Speaking of Trigun anyone ever seen the miniseries on a interpretation of the show done by JesuOtaku? Not compelte yet it gives you another critical look on the show as a whole.
  • I watched the first episode of Trigun the other day on Netflix. I thought it was pretty good.
    Brother, you have no idea.
    Shit gets real in that show. Awesome real.
  • I just finished watching all of Trigun. That was awesome!!!! Thanks for the recommendation. Anime after this is going to have some tough shoes to fill. I'm listening to the geeknights review on it right now.

I also watched Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro and Castle in the Sky with the kids. I liked Castle in the Sky due to the action/adventure. But my kids were busting up laughing watching my neighbor Totoro. I had to keep rewinding the umbrella part for them.