This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Cereal?

edited April 2011 in Everything Else
I think it's time to talk about cereal. I was quite upset that my search for an already established cereal thread came up dry. So talk about cereal! What are your favorites? What out-of-production cereals do you miss? Use this topic for any and all cereal related discussion!
As a kid, I thought that Cocoa Puffs were the god of all breakfast cereals. At some point in my life, I realized that they actually taste like garbage and that there was no such thing as a better cereal than Rice Chex. Honey Bunches of Oats w/ Almonds are also a huge favorite of mine.

Comments

• Raisin Bran Crunch is the greatest cold cereal known to man.

/thread
  • Raisin Bran Crunch is the greatest cold cereal known to man.
    Wrong.

• Grape Nuts.
  • A bowl of half Special K Red Berries and half Banana Nut Crunch.
  • Honey Bunches of Oats mixed with Banana Nut Crunch or a huge-ass bowl of a decent granola. Can't be beat.
  • Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I don't know why I keep thinking other cereals are better than it. Though, I won't pass up some Honey Nut Cheerios.
  • Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I don't know why I keep thinking other cereals are better than it. Though, I won't pass up some Honey Nut Cheerios.
    If I want a sugar cereal, Cinnamon Toast Crunch wins every time.
  • Straight-up raisin bran.

And Cocoa Pebbles.

I eat a lot of granola cereals now, actually.
  • edited April 2011
    Cheerios, Chex, cornflakes, Rice Crispies and all associated derivatives are excellent cereals, but the crown has to go to Apple Jacks for me. There's something about them that keeps me coming back. Probably the cinnamon.

Aside - I remember going to summer camp near a market whose Amish sellers would vend the marshmallows out of Lucky Charms. You could get like a six ounce bag for four dollars.
    Post edited by Admiral Hotcakes on
  • I think in terms of cereals, you want a go-to for each kind. A healthy cereal, a sugar rush, almost dessert type cereal, and one that's middle of the road. I really need a healthy one to add to my list. Any of the Kashi ones good?
  • Grape nuts, Muesli (hot and cold), Kashi with dried strawberries, various hippie granolas, Frosted Mini Wheats, Cinnamon Toast Crunch (I had this for the first time a few months ago. Pure sugar, an occasional treat.), Irish Oatmeal, and last but not least ANNIE'S NATURAL COCOA BUNNIES!
  • I think in terms of cereals, you want a go-to for each kind. A healthy cereal, a sugar rush, almost dessert type cereal, and one that's middle of the road. I really need a healthy one to add to my list. Any of the Kashi ones good?
    Kashi Cinnamon Harvest is the closest thing to an orgasm you can get while eating a full serving of dietary fiber. Mix with a decent granola and dried cherries.
  • And Cocoa Pebbles.
    I always preferred Fruity Pebbles, but I don't particularly like chocolately cereal. That being said, I LOVE Reese's Puffs.
  • Honey Nut Cheerios is my favorite.
  • POST CRANBERRY ALMOND CRUNCH. YOU ARE WELCOME.
  • edited April 2011
    Irish Oatmeal
    McCann's FTW. Those sealable tins are great for backpacking.

Also, how could I forget porridges in general!? Kayu, grits, polenta, muesli, oatmeal, barley...The list goes on.

Also, Rice Krispies with a spoonful of sugar and 2% milk. Nom.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Posted by: Li_AkahiI always preferred Fruity Pebbles, but I don't particularly like chocolately cereal. That being said, I LOVE Reese's Puffs.
    Good lord Reese's Puffs are weird. But when I say "weird", I mean that it's weird that they disappear so quickly after I buy them. Where do they go!? (Hint: Into my stomach)
  • McCann's FTW
    I've tried both McCann's and Bob's Red Mill, and I actually prefer Bob's Red Mill. I think it's got a better texture.

Or I'm just imagining shit.

Regardless, steel-cut oats ftw!
  • I like the convenience of the McCann's tin. It's an aesthetic thing. Haven't tried Bob's Red Mill yet, but they make great stuff, so I'll give it a shot.
  • edited April 2011
    For my everyday cereal eating, its a generic form of 'Honey Bunches of Oats' or a generic form of Cheerios (which, to me, is better than Cheerios) with a banana chopped into it.

Rarely, I also get myself some cardboard cereal, which is most commonly Lucky Charms. Besides that, I don't eat many different kinds of cereal, but I dislike any chocolaty cereal and Cinnamon Toast Crunch, which tastes like Crisco with cinnamon on it.
    Post edited by Clockian on
  • I dislike any chocolaty cereal and Cinnamon Toast Crunch, which tastes like Crisco with cinnamon on it.
    Clearly, you cannot see why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
  • While things were not always this way, I find that the only cereals I like eating anymore are Raisin Bran (Crunch preferably) and Honey Bunches of Oats. Most other cereals I like either fuck up my stomach or fuck up my mouth, so they usually aren't worth the brief good taste. I'm probably also weird in the fact that I only eat cereal as a right-before-bed snack, I never eat it for breakfast anymore (it's not substantial enough).
  • Ham sandwich is about as close to cereal as I get.
  • edited April 2011
    I never eat it for breakfast anymore (it's not substantial enough).
    I agree. I usually throw bacon into a cast-iron skillet, wait till the fat renders, throw in corn tortilla strips, wait till they fry, and then break three eggs in and scramble the whole mess together with my trusty slotted spatula. Serve the mess steaming hot covered in sriracha with a glass of fresh-squeezed OJ. Delicious, balanced, easy, one-pan.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Warning, handle with care. Due to age, this video is prone to spontaneously turning to dust.
  • I miss Kashi Medley, which seems to have been discontinued a couple years ago. Now it's mostly oatmeal or spoon sized shredded wheat for me. Or maybe Raisin Bran when I'm on the road eating at Hampton Inn buffets and such.
  • spoon sized shredded wheat for me.
    I'm telling you: Kashi Cinnamon Harvest. It's like Cinnamon Mini Wheats.

Speaking of which, Frosted Mini Wheats and Barbara's Bakery Puffins rock.
  • spoon sized shredded wheat for me.
    I'm telling you: Kashi Cinnamon Harvest. It's like Cinnamon Mini Wheats.

Speaking of which, Frosted Mini Wheats and Barbara's Bakery Puffins rock.
    I have been known to enjoy Puffins, and the occasional bowl of Kashi Go Lean Crunch.
  • Kashi Go Lean Crunch.
    My roommate eats either Kashi Go Lean Crunch or Special K Protein Plus for every meal of (almost) every day, three meals a day.
  • Kashi Go Lean Crunch.
    My roommate eats either Kashi Go Lean Crunch or Special K Protein Plus for every meal of (almost) every day, three meals a day.
    Wow, that's an impressive act of cereal dedication.