This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PC movement gone nuts and don't mean computers either.

edited June 2007 in News
Stories like this just get me mad. I know that some people don't get has many cheers has other people when they have graduated, but that's the way the life goes and they need to get use to it.

null

Comments

• WTF? Throw out the noise makers instead of punishing the poor boy or girl who are on the stage receiving their diplomas! Where's the logic?
  • WTF? Throw out the noise makers instead of punishing the poor boy or girl who are on the stage receiving their diplomas! Where's the logic?
    Not only that, but why not encourage cheering to the max? It's a solemn occasion? I think not.
  • edited June 2007
    That is utterly stupid! The girl graduated with honours, she should get much applause. Does this school district have so many minority kids graduating with the support of their friends and family that they have to discourage the practice? I'd have thought that was a good thing.
    Post edited by tuttle88 on
  • Here is just another example of how government problem-solves. Its answer is once again to instate a policy that tries to placate the lowest common denominator at the expense of those who have worked hard. Scott is right; graduation may be ceremonious, but it should hardly be solemn. Show the kids some fucking support for what they've accomplished. If one kid gets lots of cheering, and another gets none, then tough shit. Life's not fair. Learn to live with it.

In a slightly related anecdote, at my college graduation there was one student who didn't receive his diploma, because when he took the stage to get it, he raised his arms over his head and screamed, "I SHOULD HAVE GONE TO [X COMPETING SCHOOL]!!!"
  • In a slightly related anecdote, at my college graduation there was one student who didn't receive his diploma, because when he took the stage to get it, he raised his arms over his head and screamed, "I SHOULD HAVE GONE TO [X COMPETING SCHOOL]!!!"
    BRILLIANT! I'm graduating in December, might try that out. I'm doing honours so I can fuck up the first graduation then have another one next year right?
  • RymRym
    edited June 2007
    Frankly, I'd rather they just banned any sort of applause at graduation ceremonies for private institutions.  Despite saying repeatedly that they should be held to the end, idiot parents yelled and screamed and carried on at every name during my own graduation, forcing the announcer to wait for them to finish between each name.  It took forever. 
    Now, more to the point.  
    ...the policy followed a 2005 commencement where hoots, hollers and even air horns drowned out much of the ceremony and nearly touched off fights in the audience when the unruly were asked to quiet down....students and their parents had to sign a contract promising to act in dignified way. Violators were warned they could be denied their diplomas and barred from the after-graduation party.
    The parents knew the rules and the consequences, as did the students.  They signed a contract.  Furthermore, the policy was in place due to previous problems caused by classless idiots.   People were being disruptive, so rules were put in place to keep them in line.  Said people knowingly chose to break said rules.
    I have absolutely no sympathy for the students or their families in this case.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Ah, so willing to exchange liberty for convenience.... :D
  • Ah, so willing to exchange liberty for convenience.... :D

Damn straight!  =P  The going rate is 3 liberty units to the dollar.

• Damn straight!  =P  The going rate is 3 liberty units to the dollar.
    Is that close to the conversion rate of Unicorns to Leprechauns?
  • Damn straight!  =P  The going rate is 3 liberty units to the dollar.Is that close to the conversion rate of Unicorns to Leprechauns?
    No, leprechauns are worth a fortune. Pots of gold and all.
  • edited June 2007
    Damn straight! =P The going rate is 3 liberty units to the dollar.
    Is that close to the conversion rate of Unicorns to Leprechauns?
    Stanley Hudson FTW! WIP gets +24 JRPs.

Post edited by Jason on
  • edited June 2007
    I'm sorry, but parents have a right to cheer for the kids when they get their diploma from High School, because for them it's a celebration for the parents has well. For them It's saying I put my kid though school and make the sacrifices to make sure got to this point. The parents should enjoy this day has well and in any way they want.
    Post edited by N15PCA on
  • Jason, I like Schrute bucks more. Dwight is the man.
  • edited June 2007
    Update on this story. The parents when to the school and they had meeting with school officials and they said they might give thier kids their diplomas if the parents say their where sorry to the school. WTF is this garage. Why should they their sorry when they did nothing wrong. They also doing this to cover their butts from a law suit and I they also want feel they were right. Where the hell is the ACLU when you need them.
    Post edited by N15PCA on
  • Update on this story. The parents when to the school and they had meeting with school officials and they said they might give thier kids their diplomas if the parents say their where sorry to the school. WTF is this that garage. Why should they their sorry when they did nothing wrong. They also doing this to cover their butts from a law suit and I they also want feel they were right. Where the hell is the ACLU when you need them.
    Read what Rym wrote. Regardless of whether or not you think there should or should not be cheering at graduations in general, in this particular case the families and students are in the wrong. They all signed contracts saying that they would not behave in this manner, and they knew the consequences beforehand. They chose to yell and cheer when they agreed not to, and now they are complaining that they are suffering the consequences they agreed to. They are lucky the school will give them diplomas in exchange for an apology. That's very generous of the school. The school didn't have to do shit.
  • I would venture to guess that those contracts would not be considered binding in court, as the document being withheld is a public document and the conferment of a diploma is most likely protected under statute. I beg Joe and Thaed to step in with a ruling.
  • edited June 2007
    If I was those parents I wouldn't of sign a dam thing to start with. I think schools need to say out of things that are even a issue. Where real lucky I'm not one of those parents. I would demand that my kids gets they diploma and school should say they sorry to me and my kids personally or I'm fileing a lawsuit on this school so fast their heads would spin. I don't hold ACLU in high regard, but they should get involved in this case.
    Post edited by N15PCA on
  • If I was those parents I wouldn't of sign a dam thing to start with. I think schools need to say out of things that are even a issue. Where real lucky I'm not one of those parents. I would demand that my kids gets they diploma and school should say they sorry to me and my kids personally or I'm fileing a lawsuit on this school so fast their heads would spin. I don't hold ACLU in high regard, but they should get involved in this case.
    Your posts are quite difficult to decode.
  • edited June 2007
    I don't really know anything about education law. Without a copy of the contract, I couldn't tell whether it was enforceable; but I think that unless the student and parents misbehaved in everyon'e sight or they confessed to misbehaving afterwards, the school would have a hard time proving they misbehaved. Even if the contract is enforceable, the student and parents can't control other people who might have misbehaved.

Carole has done some education law. She spent two years at the Education Professional Standards Board in the Kentucky Department of Education. She was the director of paralegal studies at Daymar College, a little proprietary school. For the last year and a half, she's been doing litigation management for United Educators, a sort of a reinsurance agency for universities. She thinks that since it's a public school, they can't deny the student the diploma based on the actions of other people. I'm at least somewhat persuaded that the diploma itself is something that the school can either give or deny, just as a school can refuse to release a student's transcripts if the student hasn't paid his student loan, or hasn't cleaned his dorm room or something. I checked briefly and couldn't find any statutory guidance. That's not to say there's no such statute in Illinois. I just can't spend the time to look.

The thing both of us have the most problem with is the school saying that the student can have the diploma if they do community service. I don't know how the school came up with that. Maybe it was in the contract.

Now, when Carole was at Daymar, I taught a couple a criminal class and an evidence class. During the time we were there, we went to a couple of graduations. The students generally behaved as one would expect, but the people in the audience engaged in the same tomfoolery that the Illinois people probably did. There's a place for that sort of thing - at a celebration held after the ceremony.

Acting out during a graduation ceremony is common and crass. It ruins the ceremony for other people. At the Daymar graduations, I wasn't concerned with anyone getting more or less caterwauling. I simply wanted everyone to have the opportunity to enjoy the ceremony in peace.
    I don't hold ACLU in high regard, but they should get involved in this case.
    Typical. "The ACLU sucks . . . until they can help me."
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I'm just curious as to why the ACLU would involve itslef in a case like this anyway?  Yes, yes, free speech and free expression and blah blah.  Long story short is that an institution can and should put in place a standard of decorum for a graduation ceremony or any other solemn occasion, as Joe said
    There's a place for that sort of thing - at a celebration held after the ceremony.

• Off subject, but how sweet is this?
  • Off subject, but how sweet isthis?

The correct answer is very.
  • Update on this story. The parents when to the school and they had meeting with school officials and they said they might give thier kids their diplomas if the parents say their where sorry to the school. WTF is this that garage. Why should they their sorry when they did nothing wrong. They also doing this to cover their butts from a law suit and I they also want feel they were right. Where the hell is the ACLU when you need them.Read what Rym wrote. Regardless of whether or not you think there should or should not be cheering at graduations in general, in this particular case the families and students are in the wrong. They all signed contracts saying that they would not behave in this manner, and they knew the consequences beforehand. They chose to yell and cheer when they agreed not to, and now they are complaining that they are suffering the consequences they agreed to. They are lucky the school will give them diplomas in exchange for an apology. That's very generous of the school. The school didn't have to do shit.

You know, I don't understand why more schools are willing to do that. It seems like such a smart thing to do.

I graduated a year ago. Why did no one think of that punishment?
  • The school agreed to give them their diplomas. I live in Chicago and it was on the news this morning before I left for work, I don't have details but it sounds like some ass hats strong armed the school into acquiescing to their demands using, surprise surprise, lawyers.
  • Thank god for that Sparhawk.
  • Thank god for that Sparhawk.
    I actually disagree with the school backing down, but thats mainly because it sets a bad precedent and undermines this nations academic institutions.
  • I was talking about the news story you just put up on your post.
  • Oh my bad.
  • I don't have details but it sounds like some ass hats strong armed the school into acquiescing to their demands using, surprise surprise, lawyers.
    Those BASTARDS! Helping people with their problems. . . Who do they think they are?!!