This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wakfu the animated series

It's nice to see a change from the super goofy or comedy series to see an action packed serious series about hot chicks and bad ass dudes kick mystic ass in a LOTR way.
At first I felt the animation was too motion tweening but hen i fund the art style works so well it stopped bothering me after the first 5 minutes.

Best cartoon of the decade? no. Damn good show? yes!

plus this

Comments

• That amazon's legs look off. It looks like her calves are bigger than her thighs.
  • edited May 2011
    I believe I saw a screenshot of it once when I was looking for some reaction image a la "WTF?!" and the facial expression of the two chicks I saw had me mildly interested. Didn't know the show was french (ok, it's actually based off of a Square Enix game, but the animated series is of french origin). Might check it out later this week.

Edit: Found it.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Squeenix just publishes the game in the U.S. It's a French cartoon based on a French game.
  • I actually have been following the artist on deviantArt for a while. I love the way he draws people, heavily stylized. I believe the game is a turn-based MMO, and the show is based off the game, like Ruffas said.
  • edited May 2011
    oh wow, they actually put a wakfu animation out? I guess they are trying also to push hard this game. If my knowledge is correct, the game is still in beta, even though it is pretty much a continuation of their previous game, Dofus.

Anyway, I guess watching a French animation can be refreshing, since they usually do stuff uncommon on most mainstream animations.
    Post edited by Dincu on
  • I saw their booth (Ankama Games) last year at PAX Prime. They are indeed a French based company and have a MMORPG called Dofus, that's been out for a while. I actually picked up a Dofus Artbook last year along with a really cute platypus plushy and Dofus graphic novel.

There newest release is Wakfu which is a turned based MMORPG that is available on XBL. When I have the chance I think I'll check it out.

I didn't know they released an animated series. I'll have to look into that too. I also enjoy the art style as well.
  • edited May 2011
    It does not appear to be out of Beta yet (Wakfu I mean, Dofus is older, apparently). I signed up for opened beta just because I'm curious. It noted Xbox on the menu bar, but it's not a selectable option.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • The cartoon is quite good. It's done in Flash so there's tweens everywhere, but they're good looking tweens. They also do a really good job of balancing lightheartedness with serious moments. I really like the world they've build in the show, so I'll probably check out the beta soon.
  • Oh, I meant The Islands of Wakfu was released on XBL which is a spinoff game.
  • Also if Wakfu follows a similar style to that of Dofus, then it would make a interesting enough game. Dofus is one of the few original titles on the MMORPG landscape (And it is officially translated in at least 3 languages).
  • The cartoon is quite good. It's done in Flash so there's tweens everywhere, but they're good looking tweens. They also do a really good job of balancing lightheartedness with serious moments. I really like the world they've build in the show, so I'll probably check out the beta soon.
    Has anyone translated or subtitled it yet?
  • I have such of hankering for French animation like this. Its all squashy stretchy while being all hotsy totsy anime. Yippee! Pity I don't know French so well.
  • edited May 2011
    Has anyone translated or subtitled it yet?
    Yes, but you must never post the link anywhere permanent. Ankama will take that shit down. Contact me over Skype if interested I can provide you with the link you require.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • Has anyone translated or subtitled it yet?
    Yes, but you must never post the link anywhere permanent. Ankama will take that shit down. Contact me over Skype if interested I can provide you with the link you require.
    I may have some time tonight after I do dishes and some lesson planning.
    It's all on Demonoid or ThePirateBay.
    It's all on Demonoid or ThePirateBay.
    :facepalm: I should have known.
  • I just watched the first two episodes and it looks reeeeaaally good. Excited to watch the rest of it. I really dig the art style of it.
  • Wait, I just noticed something - Is she wearing Woven Grass underwear?

Holy shit that would be uncomfortable.
  • I just watched the first episode. Not bad. I love the art style a lot.
  • I watched the first episode as well. It looks really fun, if a tad generic. However, there is something to be said for a conventional structure pulled off well. The only complaint I have is with the character design (specifically costume design), which very much conforms to the wost stereotypes of JRPG costume design. That hat Yugo wears is just ridiculous. Still, really awesome. Want to see more.
  • That hat Yugo wears is just ridiculous.
    It turns into a bit of a running gag like DD from Ed, Edd and Eddy.
  • plus this
    [pic]
    Sorry, but she's 13, which makes her a loli. The other one's 17, though, which is well past loli age.
  • Sorry, but she's 13, which makes her a loli. The other one's 17, though, which is well past loli age.
    That is not necessarily Amalia so it's perfectly fine.
  • edited May 2011
    plus this
    [pic]
    Sorry, but she's 13, which makes her a loli. The other one's 17, though, which is well past loli age.
    I'm a terrible person.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Ummm... not to be in favor or against any of you here, but that Cartoon takes place in another world... who knows how the age thingy is handle, maybe she will die of old age in 7 years :S
  • I'm currently on the 6th episode and I have to say that I think Amalia and her crazy awesome living Scrump are my favourite characters. Also, Yugo doesn't really seem like he has much to do in the show. He doesn't even use his portals very often.
  • I'm currently on the 6th episode and I have to say that I think Amalia and her crazy awesome living Scrump are my favourite characters. Also, Yugo doesn't really seem like he has much to do in the show. He doesn't even use his portals very often.
    Eh, wait for it, he's going to get a few mid-season upgrades.
  • I played Dofus before it was made into a cartoonmainstream.
  • I'm currently watching season 2. There's some midichlorian-level BS going on here.
  • I think we can all agree that the Breadnought is the best thing to happen to an animated series ever.