This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110511 - How we got into it

edited May 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, rather than the old thing of how to get into it, we talk about the new thing: how we got into it. Specifically, the origins of our anime, manga, comic, and convention geekeries. But first, Wakfu is a thing, and the Black Jack OAV is getting a final, eleventh volume.

Download MP3

Comments

• Didn't you guys already do Origins Week?
    I was just thinking that.
    I don't even remember at this point.

However, this also includes comics/manga origins.
  • edited May 2011
    Yep. Totally a re do. With hundreds of episodes I think you might be at the point you gotta search to see if you did it.

Edit; Oh cool. New stuff!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • With hundreds of episodes I think you might be at the point you gotta search to see if you did it.
    We usually do search, but once or twice we search and still didn't find it. This time we didn't even search because there was absolutely no memory of doing any such show.
  • That's fair; I can only remember it by name anyway.
  • Hell I don't care if you guys just re-do every episode from 2006. I'll probably never get back that far in the archives, and some of the topics are probably very interesting.
  • "How you got into what?"
    "Harvard."

*rimshot*
  • I want to try out some of those Michaelangelo pizzas now.
  • Oh Russo's how much I love thee at Wildwood!
  • edited May 2011
    Man, always down on the poor MTG. Forget the money sink and rotating card pools, MTG is mechanically sound! Its a great game, you should turn up to the next pre-release and turn some cards. Always a good time. Fuck collecting it, just play it.

Also, Scott seems paranoid about repeating material. Who cares, just do it. Most people even if they DID listen to all the previous episodes will have forgotten that shit. And its always interesting. Sometimes I think of late, you deliberately cut off tangents because you think we are not interested or have heard it already. Nah, talk it up. its all good.

I like anecdotes, often more then the show topic itself.

Hey, think about this: If you listen to two episodes of a podcast a week, that's 8 a month, 100 a year (ish) and so most of your longer listeners have had you in our head for god damn 400 hours.
    When the FUCK did you ever sink 400 into ANYTHING? Are there even any TV shows or media that have that kind of content? Name a TV show that has 400 episodes?

Lol, point being, your listeners clearly like listening to YOU, not just the topics, so yeah, talk about yourselves as much as you like.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I'm finally going to watch Cowboy Bebop.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • Sometimes I think of late, you deliberately cut off tangents because you think we are not interested or have heard it already. Nah, talk it up. its all good.
    All Scott. Even in person, he interrupts me if I tell a story that he's already heard to a crowd, even if no other person in the room has heard said story.
  • All Scott. Even in person, he interrupts me if I tell a story that he's already heard to a crowd, even if no other person in the room has heard said story.
    Punch him.
  • All Scott. Even in person, he interrupts me if I tell a story that he's already heard to a crowd, even if no other person in the room has heard said story.
    Will's the same way, to the point where often he'll insist I've told everyone a story I've only told him.
  • Oh, I remember how I got into anime. It was all because of Saint Seiya, psuedo Gree Mythology and people punching each other was awesome.
    Also, down in Peru we didn't have X-Men cards, we had Marvel Pepsi Cards, they were pretty awesome. Even thou they didn't came with stats, they came with a brief history of each character and their most important stories.
    They were awesome, but in spanish.
  • Will's the same way, to the point where often he'll insist I've told everyone a story I've only told him.
    In my defense, most of them you HAVE told to everyone twice already.

In other news, what was this talk of "visions" early on in the subject-talk in this episode? I'm not all that versed in my GeekNights history, so I'd appreciate a primer.
  • edited May 2011
    In other news, what was this talk of "visions" early on in the subject-talk in this episode? I'm not all that versed in my GeekNights history, so I'd appreciate a primer.
    How many times do we have to tell people to use the search!

http://frontrowcrew.com/geeknights/20060831/the-vision-and-the-bamboo/

The only reason we know the things we know is because we always search for everything. Googling is a muscle reflex at this point. If my brain wants to know something, it Googles. We say this about a billion times a day, but people still don't learn. Welcome to 2011! Get with it!
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I think with having close to(I think) 700 or 800 podcasts you are allowed to have episodes with similar topics.
  • I'm in the middle of listening to this episode where you guys are talking about remembering where you are in an anime. My suggestion MyAnimeList. It's a great way to keep track of watch you are watching especially if you are prone to taking a break from a show for a while. It has some social networking aspects and you can friend other users and see what they are watching.
  • In my defense, most of them you HAVE told to everyone twice already.
    Yes, but you yell, rather forcefully, when I simply ask the innocent question "Have I told you X story before?".

Even when it's not directed at you.

I'm pretty sure you've said it once when I wasn't even in the same room as you.
  • Oh, I remember how I got into anime. It was all because of Saint Seiya, psuedo Gree Mythology and people punching each other was awesome.
    Also, down in Peru we didn't have X-Men cards, we had Marvel Pepsi Cards, they were pretty awesome. Even thou they didn't came with stats, they came with a brief history of each character and their most important stories.
    They were awesome, but in spanish.
    Yessss, we had Pepsi Cards in Mexico too, I loved those things. Those little back stories are what got me into buying comics for the first time. Also I think that was when the X-men cartoon was at a high point.
  • ROFL, just clicked on Scotts thing of the day. Awesome!