This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Duke Nukem Forever has gone gold

As reported on Ars and other sites...

Hail to the King, baby!

Comments

• Hallucinations about Duke Nukem Forever: Yet another sign that we're probably in the Tribulation.
  • As crazy as it sounds, there are basically only two games that I would buy an entirely new system for. One is anything from the Lunar series (I even bought the god awful DS one, though I never finished it). The other is Duke Nukem Forever.
  • As crazy as it sounds, there are basically only two games that I would buy an entirely new system for. One is anything from the Lunar series (I even bought the god awful DS one, though I never finished it). The other is Duke Nukem Forever.
    That's pretty much the entire reason I picked up a new desktop.
  • Calm down, people. Lower your expectations. Fifteen years of anticipation does funny things to your head. Remember the lesson you learned from The Phantom Menace Debacle.
  • Remember the lesson you learned from The Phantom Menace Debacle.
    Stop talking about made up shit.
    What, you mean how I was twelve, and thought that movie was fan-fucking-tastic?
    Stop talking about made up shit.
    I'm going to fill your traincar with fake blood.
  • edited May 2011
    the ars technica article where they play the game really doesn't make it sound good.

Also, it's shipping for consoles so if you have a system from the last 5 years there is a pretty good chance you'll be able to play Duke without an upgrade.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
    Lesson #1: Don't buy that Darth Maul baseball shirt at FAO Schwartz, even if you did stand in line for two hours for the 12:01am release of the first round of Episode I toys and merch. And really, you don't need so many action figures.
  • edited May 2011
    Remember the lesson you learned from The Phantom Menace Debacle.
    Mildly relevant -

Also, this video from 3:23 onwards is what Episode one should have been.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Calm down, people. Lower your expectations. Fifteen years of anticipation does funny things to your head. Remember the lesson you learned from The Phantom Menace Debacle.
    Don't worry, if Jar Jar Binks is in Duke Nukem Forever I will be overjoyed.
  • There's no sex in the Jar Jar room.
  • you mean how I was twelve
    Holy shit I hate you so much right now.
  • you mean how I was twelve
    Pfft. Here's my argument:
    What do you remember from the second three movies? I can remember two things distinctly, and that's about it:
    1. I fucking hate Jar Jar. One of the most annoying characters ever conceived. Not funny. Not clever.
    2. NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!11!one!

That's it. They have no other record in my memory other than a general feeling about how bad they were.
  • edited May 2011
    The prequel trilogy's downfall was that it was focused to much on Anakin's boring melodrama, instead of the political conflict. Natalie Portman had a much bigger role in Episode III, but then they decided that her trying to fight against the fascism of Palpatine was too good and cut it (Kimba the White Lion syndrome.)

Getting back on topic, Gearbox should get a GDC award for making the game at all, no other studio has been able to. Then it should get the gaming equivalent of a Razzi for not being relevant since 1996 when Valve perfected the FPS. Sure there's a nostalgia market, but for those of us born the year previously mentioned, it seems like if there was an ape man living in New York, and was not as awesome as an ape man living in New York would be.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Pfft. Here's my argument:
    No, I hate him because he saw the movie when he was 12.
  • edited May 2011
    And I could do better with a welder and a lathe than you could when I was that age, too. Ran off my first turner's cube at 14 - a Jack in a box. Not like the turn a handle, thing jumps out, but More like this.

Don't know if I could do it now, though, it's been a long time since I've turned out anything, but give me a week or two, I think I could be back on it without too much trouble.
    That's it. They have no other record in my memory other than a general feeling about how bad they were.
    Because it was so long ago, and the age I was at the time, I have no memory other than mildly distorted memories of the cool bits. And all I have to do is never watch it again, which I can easily do.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited May 2011
    The prequel trilogy's downfall was
    ... flat characters that acted in terrible, plot-induced ways that were inconsistent with how hu-mons behave, and cardboard actors that went along with Lucas' wretched vomit-engendering direction?
    Post edited by Jason on
  • The prequel trilogy's downfall was that it was focused to much on Anakin's boring melodrama, instead of the political conflict.
    Pretty much, if you remove Anakin from the first movie it's pretty good.
  • And I could do better with a welder and a lathe than you could when I was that age, too.
    Well, that's because you're Australian. I expect you were drinking beer at age 8.
  • I plan to buy it for cheapo during the Steam holiday sale.
  • This seems like a good time to point out the Red Letter media "review" of The Phantom Menace, just in case there's anyone who hasn't seen it yet. It's like all the good stuff you'd learn in film school, crammed into a 70-minute absolute demolition of this shitty, shitty movie. There's also an Episode II review.
  • Well, that's because you're Australian. I expect you were drinking beer at age 8.
    Only a little. I was very occasionally allowed a very small glass of wine with dinner, and occasionally I'd get a half a glass of beer. I didn't start drinking with any regularity till I was about 15.
  • Thematically I'm hoping that DNF will be the Crank of the video games world.
  • Lucas
    That's all that needs to be said. Remove George Lucas from the equation and you get awesome movies.
  • Let's stop talking about made-up Star Wars stuff and start talking about how crazy it is that this game went gold in presale.
    That's not what going gold means.
  • I like how Scott tells you you're wrong, but doesn't tell you what's right. He wants to make sure you know he's superior, without helping you be less inferior.
  • It would be what that means if we were talking about records. Sorry, that's what came to mind for me. And I deleted my comment 43 seconds after I had posted it, so I'm well aware.
  • It's how you can tell he's worse than those he calls out.
  • Mildly relevant
    Hyperspace Hoopla!!

Okay yes I have been to Star Wars Weekends. Uttini.