This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights TV Tropes Page

edited May 2011 in GeekNights
I've been doing a little project of making TV Tropes pages for all the podcasts I listen to; I did one for Dave and Joel a while back, and I just launched this one for GeekNights. I didn't really have time to find and add as many examples as I could so I just added a few off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are more to be found.

Here it is.
And the Fast Karate one, if you are interested.

Comments

• Count This Troper In.
  • The first trope listed on the GeekNights (no space) Trope page is:
    Cloud Cuckoolander: Scott is a little strange. He frequently makes incomprehensible leaps of logic or comes up with mad schemes which he hasn't thought all the way through, which can occasionally make the podcast take on a rather surreal tone as Rym tries to understand what he's going on about.
  • And your point is..?
  • So Bad It's Good: Their favourite anime tend toward this, a fact they openly acknowledge.
    In Dave and Joel's you spelled favorite wrong.
  • I'm Canadian. Deal with it.
  • But they are American.
  • I like it when people write stuff about me on the internet.
    Even if it's bad.
  • I'm amused that Dave and Joel get "Heterosexual life partners" but Rym and Scott don't have that listed, is it because we are still unsure whether one or the other is Heterosexual?
  • I'm amused that Dave and Joel get "Heterosexual life partners" but Rym and Scott don't have that listed, is it because we are still unsure whether one or the other is Heterosexual?
    Don't look at me, I voted for "Romantic Two Girl Friendship".
  • I'm happy to see other tropers in the forum. Why didn't I think of this sooner.

(looks up if Anime World Order has one.)
  • (looks up if FNPL has one)
  • I plan on writing an Anime World Order soon enough, if nobody else does, as well as one for Greatest Movie Ever.
  • edited May 2011
    Shouldn't we have tropes like "Six Geodudes; can't lose" and "You can't [blank] 10 [blank]s"? I guess they're just sayings, but they're used enough by Scrym that they count as podcast tropes.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • They aren't catchphrases, but, what would be the word for it? Running gags?
  • They would indeed qualify as running gags, as would "Woman!" and "Warm today". We could probably make note of some of their unusual phrases or speech patterns ("The smelliest poop" and "that shit costs" come to mind)
  • Personally I think the Tv Tropes article for my Science Fiction Book Review Podcast is one of the best descriptions of it on the internet. I don't have time to do it myself, but how about someone add some catch phrases to the GeekNights page?
  • They would indeed qualify as running gags, as would "Woman!" and "Warm today". We could probably make note of some of their unusual phrases or speech patterns ("The smelliest poop" and "that shit costs" come to mind)
    "Sure it isn't NOTHING!"
  • "If I were a member of the idly rich..."
  • Don't forget the unnecessary "S".

(Knows Otaku in Review doesn't have one.:sad: )
  • I always find it strange to see trope pages about non-fictional works. It just strikes me as odd to talk about real people in the same context used to discuss fictional characters.
  • I always find it strange to see trope pages about non-fictional works. It just strikes me as odd to talk about real people in the same context used to discuss fictional characters.
    Well, fictional characters are supposed to be imitations of what real life people are like (usually) so the devices to describe that would be present. As GeekNights is a piece of media where Rym and Scott themselves are a part of the work (seeing as they are the presenters) they are sort of like characters within it. Thus, we can trope at them.

Trope trope trope.
  • the same context used to discuss fictional characters.
    "Rym" and "Scott" on GeekNights are in some ways fictional. They're personas not entirely like ourselves.
    "Rym" and "Scott" on GeekNights are in some ways fictional. They're personas not entirely like ourselves.
    It's true. Everyone who appears on radio, TV, etc. is presenting a persona that is not entirely themselves.

Take the meteorologist for your local news station as an example. They use their real name when they are on TV, and some aspects of their true personality and demeanor are on display. Yet they are still acting, to a certain extent. They are wearing a costume, which is usually business casual attire, that hides much of their true personality. Maybe they usually wear nerdy t-shirts? They also strictly talk about the weather and other smalltalk, not letting you see into much of the rest of their lives. Thus, your perspective of that person is completely different from how that person is when they are at home being themselves.
  • edited May 2011
    the same context used to discuss fictional characters.
    It's true. Everyone who appears on radio, TV, etc. is presenting a persona that is not entirely themselves.
    When I went to PAX Prime last year, I was expecting you guys to sound different in person. I thought Rym would be less charismatic or Scott would be less... well, Scott. So, it was really weird how much you guys sounded exactly like you do on the show. That, coupled with the new experience of actually seeing you guys talk, made for a very surreal experience. This did not change when I got to hang out with you guys in person.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • When I went to PAX Prime last year, I was expecting you guys to sound different in person. I thought Rym would be less charismatic or Scott would be less... well, Scott. So, it was really weird how much you guys sounded exactly like you do on the show. That, coupled with the new experience of actually seeing you guys talk, made for a very surreal experience. This did not change when I got to hang out with you guys in person.
    Well obviously they are in character at conventions :-p
    I'm willing to bet every single person on this forum can relate. You all probably act slightly different around family, friends, coworkers, etc. You know what is expected of you and you fall into these roles, each a slightely different portrayal of yourself. You guys just have an additional role as people on a podcast.
  • While I appreciate and agree with the "Just because you've heard me on a podcast doesn't mean you KNOW ME, MAN," I'm pretty much the same on our podcast as I am in person. The key difference is that the podcast is a conversation I am having with my friends, and I don't expend that much effort on most humans. If I'm not having that sort of conversation with you, maybe you need to better yourself as a person. :D
  • edited May 2011
    And your point is..?
    My point is to preserve the fact that it's the first on the page. You know how Wikis are.
    "You can't [blank] 10 [blank]s"?
    Oh fuck you, I certainly CAN [blank] 10 [blank]s.
    Take the meteorologist for your local news station as an example. They use their real name when they are on TV, and some aspects of their true personality and demeanor are on display. Yet they are still acting, to a certain extent. They are wearing a costume, which is usually business casual attire, that hides much of their true personality. Maybe they usually wear nerdy t-shirts? They also strictly talk about the weather and other smalltalk, not letting you see into much of the rest of their lives. Thus, your perspective of that person is completely different from how that person is when they are at home being themselves.
    We have the most awesome weatherman in the world I see.
    I'm willing to bet every single person on this forum can relate. You all probably act slightlycompletely different around family, friends, coworkers, etc.
    FTFY.
    Post edited by Zack Patate on