This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anime Expo 2011

edited February 2011 in Everything Else
Soooooo I'm thinking of going in lieu of PAX East. Is the 4day pass worth it? Are any other socal members going?

Comments

• Here are my comments about how things went last year. To sum it up, the staff disputes did nothing to destroy the quality of the convention, and it was in fact the tightest ship AX has run in my five years of attendance.

But anyway, yes, I am going to be there.
  • Yeah, you should go this year: http://www.anime-expo.org/2011/05/12/japans-virtual-pop-star-hatsune-miku-to-make-u-s-concert-debut-at-anime-expo-2011/
    This could be the first time I actually go to an AX concert.
  • Yeah, you should go this year: http://www.anime-expo.org/2011/05/12/japans-virtual-pop-star-hatsune-miku-to-make-u-s-concert-debut-at-anime-expo-2011/
    This could be the first time I actually go to an AX concert.
    I wanted to see the rest of the schedule before I bought my pass, but I will go for this.
  • Okay, so I just signed up for AX Idol as a voice actor. I'll be reading an excerpt from Schwartzwald's speech.
    Is it a crime to try and learn the truth? Is it a sin to search for those things which you fear. My purpose in this world is knowledge, and the dissemination of it. And it is I who is to restore the fruits of my labor to the entire world. Fear... It is something vital to us puny creatures. The instant man stop fearing is the instant the species reaches a dead end, only to sink to pitiable lows, only to sit and wait apathetically for extinction. Humans who lose the ability to think become creatures whose existance has no value. Wake up! Don't be afraid of knowledge! Think, you humans who are split into two worlds, unless you want the gulf between humans to expand into oblivian, you must think!
    Signed, Schwarzwald.
    As for cosplay, I'm probably going to NOT make an ae86 costume. Fun? Yes. Practical? No. I'll probably dress as Schwartzwald.

Any of you cosplaying?
  • I stopped reading the name as soon as I saw "Schwa..." and assumed Schwarzenegger. But I guess Schwartzwald's cool too.
  • I thought of a pretty good idea for a cosplay the other night, but as of right now it's top secret.
  • edited May 2011
    Looking forward to seeing it!
    This may be in the Vocaloid Concert. I certainly hope it is.

Here's a link to my vocaloid concert playlist.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • This may be in the Vocaloid Concert. I certainly hope it is.
    Better in jazz format without the horrible Luka voice.
  • I love her hair!
    I wonder if that was cleaned up mo-cap? Her hands look a little off, but the animation is pretty good!
  • edited May 2011
    I love her hair!
    I wonder if that was cleaned up mo-cap? Her hands look a little off, but the animation is pretty good!
    I know! I think it might be mo-cap, but if it isn't, I wouldn't be surprised. That's not even the best animated ones! I'll see if I can find it.
    EDIT: Okay, here is the 2009 model.

And here's the 2010 model.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I love her hair!
    It's weiiiiiiiird. I know it's hard as balls (and then some) to animate hair like that, but the static fringe just makes it look weird as hell. And I think it's motion capture, choreographic with a real person and then adding a big ass render farm to make the video is the only sane way I can imagine.
  • I love her hair!
    From what I understand, the 2010 concert was the first time they used the models from Sega's Vocaloid rhythm game (the game, I believe, was motion capture + further editing). The year before they used Miku Miku Dance to put on the concert.
  • the game, I believe, was motion capture + further editing
    Correct.
    The year before they used Miku Miku Dance to put on the concert.
    Interesting. So they're insane after all.
  • edited May 2011

Oops. Oh well.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Aww, That sucks. Wish you could have come with me.
  • edited May 2011
    I didn't realize that logging back in to registration was how you were supposed to get tickets until just today. D'oh.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • WTF. Anime Expo has separate ticketing for concerts, and it's not free? What the fuck.
  • edited May 2011
    WTF. Anime Expo has separate ticketing for concerts, and it's not free? What the fuck.
    The ticketing isn't separate, it's with registration. It's just that I reg'ed last summer way before any events were determined. Also, the concerts being are held at the Nokia Center this year, a separate venue about a block down from the convention center. $15 is the right price considering they rented out a venue so big that they hold the American Idol finale there.

Also consider how I only paid $40 to pre-reg my 4-day pass for AX this year. Compare that with Otakon, who basically has no significant pre-reg or early bird discount.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Compare that with Otakon, who basically has no significant pre-reg or early bird discount.
    I thought Otakon did have a discount if you pre-reg early enough. Even if they don't, concerts and events at the arena cost nothing extra.
  • Compare that with Otakon, who basically has no significant pre-reg or early bird discount.
    I thought Otakon did have a discount if you pre-reg early enough.
    I'm not familiar with years previous, but this year the discount price for Otakon when pre-reg went online in March was $65, which is $10 off the full price. Full price at AX is $75 as well, but pre-reg for AX 2011 started a week after AX 2010 and they've had tiered discounts since. I reg'ed right away, so I got $35 off the full price of 4-day admission.
  • And I think it's motion capture, choreographic with a real person and then adding a big ass render farm to make the video is the only sane way I can imagine.
    I don't know, as far as being sane to do that pose to pose, I've seen some pretty killer animators in my day. It's just the gap between model and movement was fairly great, and the movement was not exaggerated like it often is with key frame animation.
  • edited May 2011
    I've seen some pretty killer animators in my day
    No doubt about that. But would you call them completely sane if they took on such tasks as animating a whole concert worth of dancing by hand instead of just cleaning up motion captured video?
    Post edited by Zack Patate on
  • edited May 2011
    No animator is sane.
    Really, it all depends on the kind of look you want to get. The final result is very different based on the technique used, and motion capture is almost always recognizable as such.
    Also, motion capture is not simple - Sometimes, mo-cap clean up can take just as much time as manual pose driven stuff.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited May 2011
    Also, motion capture is not simple - Sometimes, mo-cap clean up can take just as much time as manual pose driven stuff.
    I didn't say it was. It's just the more sane thing to do imho. At worst you at least have something to look at while working. :D
    Post edited by Zack Patate on
  • It's just the more sane thing to do imho.
    For this, probably. For little monsters running around in a video game, not likely.
  • If you're coming to Anime Expo, I'm hosting a meetup on Day Zero: http://alexleavitt.com/ax2011meetup/
  • edited June 2011
    Can't because I have work, but have fun! I'll be there Sat-Mon.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I'll try my best to attend.