This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Parkour

edited May 2011 in Everything Else
I'm surprised there isn't a topic for this already. Are there any traceurs on the forum? How do you like to train? How did you get into it? Have you got a group or do you go it alone? If you don't do Parkour, would you like to? What's stopping you?

I've just started training again after a year-and-a-half-or-so hiatus because a friend of mine is interested in learning. It's a good opportunity to get back in proper shape and focus more on my fundamentals, which I didn't do nearly enough of when I started out. If you're a beginner, take it from me; get your landing and rolls down before you do anything more than four feet off the ground, and don't give vaults priority over everything else (as cool as they are).

Comments

• My friends and I were doing stupid runs and jumps and afterward yelling "PARKOUR!" years before that aired. When I saw it, I felt like The Office had peered into my past for inspiration.

However, I'm looking into incorporating some Parkour into weight training runs I'm doing to prepare for Muay Thai training. Any pointers on getting started?
  • edited May 2011
    Any pointers on getting started?
    The best general advice I can give is to avoid becoming a slave to specific techniques. Getting the basics down to the T important, but Parkour is about bending and even stepping outside of those techniques in order to improvise fluidly. Good ways to train this include going to new places and jumping in without thinking too hard (once you're experienced), finding creative ways to approach old ground, and sprinting through very heavily wooded areas.

Good ways to condition for Parkour that you might not have come across include bouncing on the balls of your feet to strengthen your feet and ankles, pistol squats, muscleups, and (as dumb as it looks) quadrupedal movement. As for actual Parkour techniques, when you're starting out it's an immense help to have somebody experienced to train with. As you learn more, perfect the basics, and hone your instincts it's easier to train alone, but if you develop bad habits early on (especially in landing and rolling) it can lead to serious injury later.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Getting the basics down to the T important, but Parkour is about bending and even stepping outside of those techniques in order to improvise fluidly.
    Pretty much this. Get your head wrapped around the fundamentals, then start improvising some. And naturally, play it safe, start somewhere like parks and playgrounds, and always bring a partner - it's really hard to call 000/911 when you've just broken your leg or arm.
  • edited May 2011
    muscleups
    Do a couple pullups as a warmup? Hmmm. Maybe in a couple years.
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • it's really hard to call 000/911 when you've just broken your leg or arm.
    I've done this and it's not fun. Trust me.

My goal is to lose enough weight where I can start doing this sort of stuff. I'm watching this thread with interest but I cannot contribute much at this point. Lastly, I'd love to be able to visit the location below and get my parkour on.

• So what do you recommend for someone who's just getting into parkour? I think it would mesh well with my karate, but I have no idea where to start.
  • edited May 2011
    So what do you recommend for someone who's just getting into parkour?
    I am also curious. I think it would be a fun way to work out over the summer and would produce nice results mentally if not physically.
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • Lastly, I'd love to be able to visit the location below and get my parkour on.
    We should visit it together! It's only 10 minutes from my house!
  • my recommendation for starting parkour is tree climbing. It lets you get into seeing paths that you don't normally think of, ways to mount, where to put your hands/feet and ways to get out. Its also a ton of fun and you are more likely to have good trees to climb than urban objects depending on where you live.
  • my recommendation for starting parkour is tree climbing. It lets you get into seeing paths that you don't normally think of, ways to mount, where to put your hands/feet and ways to get out. Its also a ton of fun and you are more likely to have good trees to climb than urban objects depending on where you live.
    That's a great idea! I'm gonna take my sneakers with me to work tomorrow and climb some trees!
  • Lastly, I'd love to be able to visit the location below and get my parkour on.
    We should visit it together! It's only 10 minutes from my house!
    I'm in no physical state to go there yet. I'll let you know when I get there. ;-)
  • As soon as school gets out, I'll be able to get into this full swing.

By-the-by, a cool guide for beginners
  • I got out for my first real training session today. It turns out that one of the playgrounds a half mile from my house is a really great place to practice (as long as I'm there when it's fairly empty, but not night). I definitely need to build up certain muscles, but I feel like I have an idea of what I really need to work on now. Hopefully I'll be able to do this throughout the summer.
  • edited June 2011
    I really recommend finding somebody experienced to train with if you can. It doesn't have to be every single session, but learning from someone who knows what they're doing for even a couple of hours is invaluable when you're starting out. Other than that there are much better resources online than I could ever write, just use your brain and figure out for yourself which ones are written by people who know what they're doing.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • As soon as school gets out, I'll be able to get into this full swing.

By-the-by, a cool guide for beginners
    "Here are some videos of basic movements that you can start to practice safely. These videos are all courtesy of American Parkour:"

The links are broken and the you tube account is deleted... But it is an OK guide. One of the best i have found so far.
  • Yeah, those videos are no good, but I think the rest are still there.
  • I have been practicing for about 3 or 4 years now. I got into it after seeing it for the first time online and thinking I could do that.

I don't train for parkour specifically other than direct practice and stretching. I am all around very active and stay in shape through many activities.

If anyone in the Connecticut, Rhode Island or Mass area is interested in learning I would be willing to teach. I have taught after school groups, spoken on the subject and run intro training and drills in several locations. ConnectiCon being the largest event to date. Should be there again this year, however the training sessions will not be affiliated with the convention due to understandable risk prevention.

Other than that there are a number of open groups or organizations filled with great people who are happy to bring anyone up to speed. Some can be a bit too gungho about it. So just remember to take it slow and as Gunter said
    Getting the basics down to the T is important,
    For those of you in New England check out NE Parkour