This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

DotA 2

edited October 2010 in Everything Else
It looks like Valve is trying to make DotA with a community that isn't shit. The main thing keeping me from getting into LoL and that-other-DotA-clone was the horrible community, so if it works I might be able to get into this. Anybody else interested?

Comments

• Wow, didn't see this coming at all, especially from Valve. Their first non-shooter! I'm sure they'll do a great job with it. Maybe I'll actually get into DotA now.
  • RymRym
    edited October 2010
    The community is an extension of the, in my opinion, bad game mechanics. The community was a moat keeping me away from the brick wall that is the game itself.

I doubt this will be a good game.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • /obligatory

I have heard this song many many times before. Not until today did I learn that yes, the song really is about DotA. It's not a mashup or remix or anything.
  • edited October 2010
    Basshunter ftw. He has a counter-strike song as well.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I have to say that while I'm not really interested in the game, I'm interested to see how the coaching mechanic will work out. It's actually a pretty genius idea for RTS type games.
  • ^ I see no problem with this ^
  • Valve is making DotA 2. Blizzard is also making an official game called Blizzard DotA. WTF people. Do we really need more of these games?
  • At least it's a slight scenery change from the usual [wartime shooter], [wartime shooter], [wartime shooter], [regular shooter] and [rpg spam]. It's a result of this thing called capitalism. See something popular, jump on the bandwagon to maybe make a few bucks.
  • Valve is making DotA 2. Blizzard is also making an official game called Blizzard DotA. WTF people. Do we really need more of these games?
    If people want to buy it yes?
    Well, at least they are really good at counting to 2.
  • edited May 2011
    Wow, interesting. Gives me an idea for something awesome that will never happen.

Valve can release a $100 game known only as THREE. It would contain #3 of everything.

Portal 3, L4D3, TF3, DoD3, CS3 and...

Not Half-Life 2: Episode 3.

Half-Life 3.

And all these games would be run on a new engine.

Source 2.

Heyo!
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • After the first two Half Life 2 extensions, is anyone really that jazzed about episode 3?
  • After the first two Half Life 2 extensions, is anyone really that jazzed about episode 3?
    Extremely.
  • THREE could also contain Ricochet 3. I know there wasn't a Ricochet 2, we'll just skip to 3 so that it can be in the pack.
  • THREE could also contain Ricochet 3. I know there wasn't a Ricochet 2, we'll just skip to 3 so that it can be in the pack.
    Ricochet! Fuck yeah! I actually had an idea for a game this morning. What if you make a simple FPS like Ricochet. Except isntead of throwing discs, you shoot insta-kill lasers. However, the lasers don't work like moonraker lasers or other fictional laser weaponry. They behave more as they would in reality. An intense beam of energy that travels at the speed of light and is either on or off. Then just make all the maps contain reflective surfaces to make everything really interesting. To make the game not completely stupid the lasers should only be able to fire for an instant, and then should take some seconds to recharge.
  • I actually like the DOTA-clones genre. I like RTS games and I like RPGs, and these games try to serve up a combination of the two in a single-serving one-hour bite. You can get into the intense details of the specifics of good and bad qualities of the various constructs in these games, but at least from ten-thousand feet above they offer something fun. My preference would be more along the lines of a compact Dynasty Warriors online game set in some sort of "every universe overlapping" scenerio where it's not out of place to see a space marine fighting a treant, but I take what I can get.
    Yes and no. I WAS excited, but it's taken so long, I'm not sure I have the interest for it anymore. It's like sending someone off in a time machine 20 years into the future, but they don't come back for another 15 years.
    Ricochet! Fuck yeah! I actually had an idea for a game this morning. What if you make a simple FPS like Ricochet. Except isntead of throwing discs, you shoot insta-kill lasers. However, the lasers don't work like moonraker lasers or other fictional laser weaponry. They behave more as they would in reality. An intense beam of energy that travels at the speed of light and is either on or off. Then just make all the maps contain reflective surfaces to make everything really interesting. To make the game not completely stupid the lasers should only be able to fire for an instant, and then should take some seconds to recharge.
    If you could see the other person's reflection in the mirrors, the game would be as simple as aiming towards any instance of that person's reflection and immediately blowing him up. However, rendering the hundreds of reflections-inside-reflections such a game would require would just make your computer blow up as well. If you didn't have visable reflections, however, the game would be pointless.
  • I don't understand why Valuve is doing this. They are capable of making some of the best single player experience in gaming, and really the only First person shooters I can bring myself to care about. Yet they divert resources to make a DOTA game? We have a ton of DOTA games! Demigod, League of Legends, and the up coming blizzard one on top of the many indie variants. The game mechanics of a DOTA type aren't good enough to deserve all this attention.
  • Yet they divert resources to make a DOTA game?
    To paraphrase what many game developers say: "shit makes more money than gold."
  • I don't understand why Valuve is doing this. They are capable of making some of the best single player experience in gaming, and really the only First person shooters I can bring myself to care about. Yet they divert resources to make a DOTA game? We have a ton of DOTA games! Demigod, League of Legends, and the up coming blizzard one on top of the many indie variants. The game mechanics of a DOTA type aren't good enough to deserve all this attention.
    Yet they divert resources to make a DOTA game?
    There's one additional reason. Everything Valve does is to get people to use Steam. Right now Steam doesn't have any DotA games. That's one very popular PC gaming genre/community that is completely separate from Steam. If their DotA can beat the competition, they can get all those people to use Steam every single day.
  • Besides, a company like Valve doesn't really divert resources to make things like this. They start up a new department to do it out of a mix of new employees and some experiences ones they want to test out in a leadership position, shit this game out, then fire the less useful members of that team and distribute the rest into the company to strengthen it as a whole.
    So VALVE should concentrate on FPS because the market is flooded with DotA games?
    We get it, you're bad at RTS games et al.

The biggest stumbling blocks for DotA is the entry point and the fact that being bad permanently impacts other players thus turning them against you instead of encouraging assistence. VALVE does some of the best tutorials that don't feel like tutorials anywhere (see Portal) so if anyone can make learning DotA easier its them. The Mentor system the recently introduced in TF2 will probably factor heavily as well.
    There's one additional reason. Everything Valve does is to get people to use Steam.
    This is probably a not insignificant reason. Also, Steam Works is already one of the best online match making systems on the market, lacking only in Tournament and Clan management which factors heavily in DotA games. This is a good excuse to expand those.
  • [img]
    Fuck. The truth is out there now. I cannot forget this information. I will forever be doomed to suffering just two instalments of Valve's games.
    [Source 2 engine joke]
    Joke, 7/10. Execution, 5.5/10.
  • edited August 2011
    Some big news recently if noone has heard. Up till now there has been close to zero information on Dota 2 aside from a few leaks from closed beta patch notes. Valve stated that Dota 2 will be released this year, but because there hasnt even been a single gameplay vid and Valve's previous track record of releasing games on time, not many people believed them.

A few days ago, Dota 2 site anounced that at gamescon (Aug 17 - 21) will be the first public gameplay showing of Dota 2 via a 1 million dollar tournament with the worlds top 16 teams competing, winner takes all. The games will be streamed live worldwide in multiple languages.

I think this is one of the most brilliant marketing plans ever done. So far, they have done practically zero advertisements and relied only on word of mouth. With this 1M$ prize pool, they are getting far more marketing than if they had spend them on traditional ads. Not only that, but they basically claimed the throne for the number one competitive moba game and will attract all the current pros from their competitors.

For those of you who don't know, Dota is one of the top eSports in the world, easily rivaling SC. The predicted playerbase is around 15-20 million. There is plenty of money to be made in the moba genre, but only the top game in this genre will make it, as the competitive scene generally sticks to one game. There is a high chance that Dota 2 will be the one, and Valve will make bank.
    Post edited by iruul on
  • The only moab/dota-clone I've ever played was Storm of the Imperial Sanctum (Sotis) as a Starcraft 2 custom game. It was fun for a little while, but then I just kept getting more sick and tired of all the problems that arise in these games - leavers, noobs ruining an entire team, assholes ruining an entire team by refusing to help a noob, etc, etc.

The other big game out there is League of Legends (from what I can tell at least...) and the big draw there is that it's free. I'm sure it's plagued by all the problems that Sotis had.

If Valve really does "fix" a lot of the bullshit problems, like letting people join in on games after people leave, letting bots finish shit up, heavily fucking over leavers, properly educating feeders, etc like they promised in the blog, then I might consider paying for it.
  • The only moab/dota-clone I've ever played was Storm of the Imperial Sanctum (Sotis) as a Starcraft 2 custom game. It was fun for a little while, but then I just kept getting more sick and tired of all the problems that arise in these games - leavers, noobs ruining an entire team, assholes ruining an entire team by refusing to help a noob, etc, etc.

The other big game out there is League of Legends (from what I can tell at least...) and the big draw there is that it's free. I'm sure it's plagued by all the problems that Sotis had.

If Valve really does "fix" a lot of the bullshit problems, like letting people join in on games after people leave, letting bots finish shit up, heavily fucking over leavers, properly educating feeders, etc like they promised in the blog, then I might consider paying for it.
    The problem with leavers and noobs was a huge problem and turn off for Dota. Since Dota and Sotis is made as custom map there isnt any support for alleviating these problems. This is why MOBAs ran on their own engine (LoL, HoN, Dota 2, etc) are way better. There are features for anti leaving, ranked matchmaking, report-a-player, etc that isnt present in the original Dota or Sotis. If you think the gameplay itself could be enjoyable, you should try one of the mobas created with its own engine. LoL and HoN are both F2P and there is rumored speculation that Dota 2 will also use this same model.
  • edited August 2011
    Post edited by Andrew on