This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Windows 8

edited June 2011 in Technology
p92QfWOw88I

Comments

• Gotta give 'em props for giving the same UI experience across all their platforms. Wouldn't be surprised if the next XBox went to the same style of UI. Looks like they didn't actually break the real windows underneath either. They just made a new GUI shell on top that can switch back to the old one when necessary. I wonder if it will sell, though. I probably won't be buying it anytime soon unless it's insanely cheap.
  • They just made a new GUI shell on top that can switch back to the old one when necessary.
    If I remember correctly, that new GUI is powered by HTML+JS
  • I'm surprised. I'm actually looking forward to this. Windows Phone 7 is pretty slick (though I still prefer Android), and it makes sense to bring that interface to the desktop. I'm looking forward to seeing more about this.
  • So Windows is going the way of the iPad?
  • I like it.
    Let's be honest, most consumer computing is going the way of the iPad/iPhone.
  • I think this will be great if it works well, but I can easily see it being completely obnoxious to navigate. If this is done properly, it will be an awesome OS.
    Let's be honest, most consumer computing is going the way of the iPad/iPhone.
    At least Gnome 3 is win (IMHO). This is what open source is for. Even if all the commercial offerings turn to shit, we still have something we can work with.
  • I like it.
    Me too. I'm really impressed with how ballsy Microsoft is being by bring the WP7 UI over to the desktop. I think it's a great step forward and it would actually compel me to put a touch sensor in my hp mini netbook once the OS is released.
  • I really like the UI as shown by that video. That windows runs underneath is great! I'd love the same thing with OSX and iOS running together on the same device. Final Cut and Lightroom and all that one one level, and then the best of iPad and iPhone usability on top.
  • Still no virtual desktops, oh well.
  • Still no virtual desktops, oh well.
    Well, do you really need a virtual desktop when it seems like everything runs full screen? And you do sort of have virtual desktops since there are multiple screens of panels.

But yeah, basically what's happening here is the corporate desktop is mostly still Windows XP. There's also lots of corporate desktops using things like VMWare and thin clients. Microsoft gets all the corporate licensing dollars form Office, Exchange, etc. There really isn't much money to be made anymore selling OSes to businesses. Therefore productivity features are no longer a selling point.
  • Windows XP to Windows 8? I can see that happening for me. Just gotta wait a little longer with new purchase.
  • edited June 2011
    So Windows is going the way of the iPad?
    No, that isn't what's happening. The iPad is not a computer, as much as some people would like to think it is, it is an appliance. The use case of the iPad breaks down when you try to use it like a computer. Which is fine, a tablet really shouldn't be more than a simple device for consuming content.

What Microsoft is doing in 8 is an extension of what Apple is doing in Lion. They're bringing a unified experience to the desktop OS so consumers moving from more limited devices, like phones and tablets, will feel comfortable. However, like in Lion, under the simple UI is a powerful desktop operating system with a filesystem, ect. I like the Microsoft approach more than the OSX approach right now. This feels like the first real step to reinvent the personal computer since the implementation of the GUI.
    Post edited by Gundampilotspaz on
  • The use case of the iPad breaks down when you try to use it like a computer.
    The mother's been trying to do something as simple as edit a spreadsheet, no dice. While there's no reason the hardware couldn't just be docked to a keyboard and mouse, it's probably not going to come from Apple.
  • The use case of the iPad breaks down when you try to use it like a computer.
    The mother's been trying to do something as simple as edit a spreadsheet, no dice. While there's no reason the hardware couldn't just be docked to a keyboard and mouse, it's probably not going to come from Apple.
    You can use a bluetooth keyboard and I have written long form pieces on the iPad. It's single use nature is actually pretty good to focus you on, for example, finishing that short story before class the next day. But its strength is as the morning computer, the computer you use during meals, a portable TV, reading long form articles, ect.
  • it's probably not going to come from Apple.
    Of course not. That would require them admitting that their product isn't the best thing since sliced bread and actually inferior to laptops.
  • The Motorola Atrix actually is advertising heavily on the smartphone-docks-to-become-a-laptop niche.
    I think it makes a lot of sense, especially when marketing to business/productivity buyers.
  • I think it makes a lot of sense, especially when marketing to business/productivity buyers.
    It makes no sense. Learn from history.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Palm_Foleo
  • It kinda looks like they are turning a powerful computer into a mobile device, but I can't really judge it until I use it. Might this be the first steps into the death of the PC as we know it, and move more towards the "pre-built" non customizable Apple model? and more All in one PCs?
  • I think it makes a lot of sense, especially when marketing to business/productivity buyers.
    It makes no sense. Learn from history.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Palm_Foleo
    One crappy Linux implementation failed, so every iteration on the same concept will also fail? Great use of logic, Scott.
  • Tablets existed a long time before the iPad.
  • I liked the basic idea of the motorola atrix, but to me it doesn't look like its worth it at all software or hardware wise. When its on the dock isn't it basically just an internet browser and some shitty apps with an android window off to the side? If there was a lot of windows phone 7 special platinum edition the 3rd and Windows 8 interconnectivity it might be decent. Like if the dock was just a bare bones laptop with an ARM processor, and when you plug the phone in all of your crap syncs together but otherwise its just an overpriced keyboard and monitor. What I'm actually more interested in in some sort of tablet dock for smartphones. What if I could plug and iphone into a big screen and turn it into an iPad? or Do the same thing with an android phone. If they could manage that I would be all for it.
  • You know what I want to see realized? Fucking sideshow.
  • The idea of a smartphone dock that is basically a laptop without CPU is great, the problem however is that smartphones have shit for hardware compared to a laptop at the same cost.
  • edited September 2011
    C'mon integrated virtual desktops.

Eh, easy as it would be to install Silverlight, I'll wait a few minutes for someone else to tell me.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • At 11pm EST a dev preview of windows 8 will be available at: http://dev.windows.com/
  • I was scared for a moment that I would be forced to use the simplified iPad type interface... god I hate those interfaces. Maybe I'm a luddite but the first thing I did when I got a new Windows 7 PC two weeks ago was switch it to Windows Classic mode. I hate all those newfangled Aero themes and useless flashy 'features' and I hate the concept of a touch only computer. Now excuse me while I go back to yelling at the damn kids to get off my lawn and waving my cane at them.
  • useless flashy 'features'
    I'm pretty in love with the thing where I drag a window to an edge of a screen to resize it or fullscreen it. Not all the flashy bits are useless.