This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070607 - Horatio Hornblower

edited June 2007 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights, we talk a bit about Horatio Hornblower. In the news, fidgeting is good for you, and Scott does a Fark news.

Scott’s Thing - Jilljet Patent
Rym’s Thing - One Step Closer to Hedonism Bot

BTW: The mp3 is missing/broken

Comments

• I checked, and the mp3 is definitely uploaded to libsyn. Either Rym screwed up or Libsyn screwed up. This probably won't be fixed until Late Sunday or even Monday because Rym won't be home, and I don't have the mp3 to reupload.

• BTW: The mp3 is missing/broken
    Not for me. I just finished listening to the show.
  • The show is working fine. It was libsyn.
  • I've not read Forester's books, but have seen the shows. Great stuff. I plan to read at least one.

Another good English navy series is Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series. I have heard them called "Jane Austen for Boys", and that seems apt. There are twenty novels (O'Brian was working on the twenty-first when he popped his clogs). I'd read the first three in order (Master & Commander, Post Captain, and HMS Surprise). After that, they can probably be read in any order.

The movie "Master and Commander" is a mish-mash of a few of the novels, with the main plot coming from "The Far Side of the World". At some point in the movie development, the American frigate Aubrey is chasing became French. The marketing department, no doubt...
  • edited June 2007
    You know what's at least a little similar to Hornblower and Aubrey/Maturin? Naomi Novik's Temeraire series. They're actually pretty good. Peter Jackson has optioned the movie rights.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited June 2007
    You missed a vital part of the appeal of the series, Ioan Gruffudd is hot.
    Post edited by tuttle88 on
  • I haven't listened to all of this show yet. I listen to Geeknights when I'm tying to go to sleep. Not because it's boring or anything. Just because it's the only time in the day that I have to listen to it. But I fell asleep half way through. Sorry.... It was late. I'm gonna finish it later.
  • edited June 2007
    Nautical fiction you say? Perhaps this is something I should be checking out.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Can I just say that my bosses say "If there is time for leaning, there is time for cleaning"? And sometimes I'll be leaning on a counter and Steve (Scheduling manager) come up behind my ear and shout something. It scares the fuck out of me. I think I might watch me some Hornblower after I take my finals. High School sucks.
  • On the point about After Hours tuxedo stores: They've been bought out by Men's Wearhouse, and the first/second thing they're doing is cleaning house of all the deadwood employees.
  • I am sorry Scott but the greatest robot ever is GIANT ROBO!
  • I am sorry Scott but the greatest robot ever is GIANT ROBO!

Not even close. Giant Robo is just a, giant robo. Voltron is the defender of the entire universe. Voltron might not be the greatest robot ever, but Giant Robo is certaintly not. Not that Giant Robo is not good, he's just not the best.
  • Really enjoyed this show but it made me think. Honor Harrington. If you don't know the series it's a run of novels, space opera, following one Captain (at least to start) Honor Harrington. The author is a huge Forrester fan and the HH initials are no coincidence. There's a lot of Hornblower style in the Harrington novels. If you know them, they need an episode! If you don't, well, if you like Hornblower that much and you like sci-fi, you might just want to check them out.
  • Is there a place this series can be found on the interweb for viewing, bearing in mind I enjoy the legallity of my computer

otherwise is it just me and my mp3 player or since Scrym have moved over to the new computer is there some stereo sound wobbling from side to side ocassionally? It's really disorientating.
  • edited June 2007
    Is there a place this series can be found on the interweb for viewing, bearing in mind I enjoy the legallity of my computer
    Here is a good place to start.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I believe the Examination for Lieutenant episode/movie is my favorite. Aside from Mutiny where you see Hornblower's butt. I like that one too.
  • I believe the Examination for Lieutenant episode/movie is my favorite. Aside from Mutiny where you see Hornblower's butt. I like that one too.
    lols.

I saw Hornblower on Australian TV. Man, that was a good show. I think I'm going to have to get the box set.
  • I'm sorry I didn't check this out sooner. This is so awesome. I'm gonna buy the DVDs so I can show it to everyone on the sailing team.
  • Will I be much maligned if I say that Aubrey-Maturin is better than Hornblower?
  • I'MMA MALIGN YOU SO MUCH.
  • You missed a vital part of the appeal of the series, Ioan Gruffudd is hot.
    ^^^

• Having gotten a bit farther into Master & Commander, I can say that although Aubrey-Maturin is both terrific and painstakingly accurate, sometimes the naval lingo is baffling. What the fuck does it mean to "surge the hawser," anyway?
  • Having gotten a bit farther into Master & Commander, I can say that although Aubrey-Maturin is both terrific and painstakingly accurate, sometimes the naval lingo is baffling. What the fuck does it mean to "surge the hawser," anyway?
    Well, a Hawswer is a thick rope or cable used for mooring or towing a ship, and to Surge the Hawser is to let go of(or at least greatly slacken, if it's around a Capstan) that rope or cable suddenly.
  • Yeah, I figured that out after some googling last night, but then you have gems like the passage in which Jack Aubrey does something ingenious to fit an oversized yard on the Sophie, and you can tell whatever he's doing is brilliant, but you won't be able to understand it unless you've either spent time sailing aboard sloops or poking around wikipedia for an hour.
  • Yeah, I figured that out after some googling last night, but then you have gems like the passage in which Jack Aubrey does something ingenious to fit an oversized yard on the Sophie, and you can tell whatever he's doing is brilliant, but you won't be able to understand it unless you've either spent time sailing aboard sloops or poking around wikipedia for an hour.
    I sailed on the Sloop John B. My grandfather and me, and around Nassau town we did roam. Went out drinking all night, Got into a fight, because I was feeling all broke up, and wanted to go home.