This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The New Kid - Penny Arcade Hits the Big Screen

edited June 2011 in Movies
Remember the last round of original strips Penny Arcade let the readers vote on (Sand, The New Kid, and Queen of Bells)? Back then, Gabe mentioned that The New Kid (the strip about the human kid who keeps moving from planet to planet, going to school with aliens) was his favorite, and his dream was to see a major studio pick it up. Well, that just happened. Paramount just picked it up, and is already in the works to create an animated feature film about the strip. They didn't mention how much control Mike/Jerry would have (if any), but this could be pretty awesome. Penny Arcade is breaking into Hollywood... I am very excited at the potential this holds. What about the rest of you - thoughts?

Link to Joystiq article

Comments

• If Mike and Jerry aren't involved, it'll suck.

To be quite honest, as cool as the strip is, the idea isn't that great. The strip is cool because of it's Penny Arcade-ness. If the studio doesn't have their help...It won't be very good.
  • I'd prefer Sand...but oh well.
  • To be quite honest, as cool as the strip is, the idea isn't that great.
    Yup.
  • To be quite honest, as cool as the strip is, the idea isn't that great.
    Yup.
    It's a cute idea, which could make a good kids animated movie.
  • The writer of The Book of Eli and an upcoming crime thriller known as "Undying" seems like an odd choice for an animated kids move.
  • Whether the movie actually gets made or sucks or whatever, one thing is still true. Mike & Jerry will get more moneys per square inch of comic than I think has ever been gotten in history.
  • My biggest question will be on animation style. Are they taking the New Kid concept in idea only, or are they going to make it look like Mike's art? I doubt he'd have the time, or experience with animation, to be the man on a major studio production, but maybe they'd have him supervise. It's entirely possible that there will be zero PA involvement on this, but it's also entirely possible that it will wind up being good. Not enough information, so it's just a crapshoot at this point. As Scott said, it's just good news because them PA guys deserve their sacks of cash.
  • edited June 2011
    The writer of The Book of Eli and an upcoming crime thriller known as "Undying" seems like an odd choice for an animated kids move.
    Whitta was Editor in Chief of PC Gamer back in the 90s. He's also done a bunch of comic books, and was even tapped to write up the live action Akira script a while back. He's a pretty big video game guy and goes to all the PAXs as well. I think he might have a close relationship with the PA guys, but I have no idea.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • The writer of The Book of Eli and an upcoming crime thriller known as "Undying" seems like an odd choice for an animated kids move.
    Robert Rodriguez seems to toe that line just fine, I'm sure others can do it just as well.
  • I like automata better. I want a robot detective noir show.
  • Whoa! Animated, huh? I'm all for this.
  • I like automata better. I want a robot detective noir show.
    Automata was a different year though. And they did two full Automata stories, I think...But an Automata show would be awesome.
  • edited June 2011
    of all of PA's side stories, The New Kid is probably the safest in Paramount's eyes since I'm guessing you could sum it up as "Harry Potter in space" (as I'm guessing it will be a normal boy going to a crazy school and having adventures and probably turning out to be some kind of special chosen one).

If it's successful, I could see them doing The Lookouts (my personal favorite) but Automata would probably be a hard sell with its more mature style. They might be able to do it as a direct to DVD in the style of the DC or Marvel movies they've been making though.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • edited June 2011
    Harry Potter in space
    Speaking of which, you know what web comic I really REALLY want to see adapted for screen? Gunnerkrigg Court. It is like Harry Potter (British boarding school, houses, magic, secret powers) but, like, 10 times more interesting. And it has a magical fox spirit, and robots, and magic vs. technology, and all sorts of cool stuff. I think if it was made into a film trilogy (especially once we find out more of the plot) it could be really popular.
    Post edited by gomidog on