This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110606 - Cooling Computers

edited June 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about removing heat from computing devices of various kinds. But first, we're basically obligated to talk about Apple Day, and Nintendo successfully fended off lulzsec by cleverly not actually offering any real services.

Download MP3

Comments

• I used that Wikipedia article to help plan a tabletop RPG character/story once. Shame the game never really happened; I should try for it again.
  • Turn based gaming support in game center! Not as important as wireless syncing but I'm really looking forward to seeing board games using this.

• I am sure you mentioned this. Perhaps not this exact one, but one like it.
  • Turn based gaming support in game center! Not as important as wireless syncing but I'm really looking forward to seeing board games using this.
    That might actually get me to buy some games.
    Yes this is definitely big news. Some people have gone out and coded it themselves such as the Carcassonne devs, but now all of these other A+ apps have no excuse not to offer play-by-mail. Neuroshima Hex, Ticket to Ride, I'm looking at you.
  • Yes this is definitely big news. Some people have gone out and coded it themselves such as the Carcassonne devs, but now all of these other A+ apps have no excuse not to offer play-by-mail. Neuroshima Hex, Ticket to Ride, I'm looking at you.
    I'm actually currently building a system that will handle it in a cross-platform fashion. My first step is to make a proof of concept that is like advance wars, but just has a small map with only a couple pre-deployed infantry. After the bugs are ironed out of the underlying technology, we can build out the game.

https://github.com/Apreche/Turnflict
  • Yes this is definitely big news. Some people have gone out and coded it themselves such as the Carcassonne devs, but now all of these other A+ apps have no excuse not to offer play-by-mail. Neuroshima Hex, Ticket to Ride, I'm looking at you.
    I'm actually currently building a system that will handle it in a cross-platform fashion. My first step is to make a proof of concept that is like advance wars, but just has a small map with only a couple pre-deployed infantry. After the bugs are ironed out of the underlying technology, we can build out the game.

Awesome. Will check this out later.

Awesome. Will check this out later.
    It doesn't do anything now.
  • That sounds like fun.
  • It doesn't do anything now.
    Oh ok. I was running out the door so I hadn't even clicked the link yet. Wasn't sure how far along you were.
  • Rym for cloud video
    Medium quality, but cannot be deleted from phone: http://www.justin.tv/p/android
    Better Quality: http://qik.com/

I think ustream does something similar.
  • Just made a build recently, basically agreed with everything in the episode.

The Silverstone cases (I got the Fortress 2) with high positive pressure, bottom to top with 3x 16cm fans are amazingly awesome and quite, they also come with noise dampening foam. I do have 2 massive video cards (AMD Radeon 6970) in their but because the case is constantly pushing cool air in the fans never spin up over 40% on load otherwise are at 17%.
    More cases should do this, I find the front bottom to top back cooling to be stupid in comparison to directly pushing cool air from below, over every single component and out the top where the heat will automatically go. I do need the extra card because I push 2560x1600 on anything I run and I do prefer seeing my games at high quality.

I do still overclock though, I bought an Intel i7930 put on a Thermalright CPU heatsink and it took me like 10 minutes to overclock it to a stable 24/7 4.2ghz. This was required as when my CPU was clocked normally, it was the bottle neck for my video cards when trying to display games at high resolution / graphical quality.
    Everything on air can't hear it at all other than the occasional mechanical drive.

The most annoying thing for me were the power cables, all other cabling was completely simple.
  • edited June 2011
    Heist film vs. con film? Wikipedia says they all fit under the umbrella of caper films, and I agree!
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Just finished the episode. If you do a show on raised flooring and data centers, don't forget the importance of plenum rated cable.
  • edited June 2011
    Heist film vs. con film? Wikipedia says they all fit under the umbrell of caper films, and I agree!
    And the caper is just a subgenre of crime fiction. Caper story
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • I like that the shows are pushing out to a full hour now. I really like the early show banter and news. Scott seems to not be cutting of the tangents lately, maybe hes in a chatty mood :)

Makes me feel like I'm getting my monies worth.

Wait a minute...
  • I really enjoyed the banter as well. It's definitely a positive.
  • At the 1:00:26 mark, I was genuinely thinking that cooling servers, enterprise or otherwise, would be as easy (or complex) as having Rainbow Dash involved in any fashion whatsoever.
  • I have an Alienware computer at home with thermal cooling and it's extremely quiet, impressively so.
  • I have an Alienware computer at home with thermal cooling and it's extremely quiet, impressively so.
    Sorry Zombie, what does that even mean? Is there cooling which isn't thermal?
  • Just thought I would make a comment about auto-uploading pictures and video using an android device. While I do not know about a Google option for it, I do know that if you that the Photobucket app you can set it to automatically upload any pictures or videos that are captured on your phone right after you save them. I think some other applications do this too but I have more experience with Photobucket.

More people should use these types of apps if only so that if they are put into a situation where police are destroying phones their videos or pictures will be saved. They should still probably worry about their safety if they come forward with it but that is a different issue.