This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Super 8

edited June 2011 in Movies
I just got back from seeing Super 8 with a friend.
WOW
I will wait to post a real review with spoilers whited out till tomorrow.
It is just to late to try and process it all now and be coherent while being entertaining.
I will say this though. If Micheal Bay went to see this movie he would get a giant erection and then he would try to sue JJ Abrams for stealing his idea of using crazy ass giant explosions BAYSPLOSIONS (patent pending) and doing it way better. and not being a fucking moron and using them correctly and realistically and just goddamn fucking better in every conceivable way.

Comments

• Wow.
    My grammar and spelling skills surpassed your current abilities when I was in 3rd grade. Your post is painful to read and reads like a toddler stringing together a sentence.
  • Wow.
    My grammar and spelling skills surpassed your current abilities when I was in 3rd grade. Your post is painful to read and reads like a toddler stringing together a sentence.
    Maybe Super 8 was just that good.
  • Wow.
    Asssssssssssssshooooooooooooollllleeeeeee :-p

//Bad spellers of the world untie.
    ///Seriously though use the spell-check option.
  • Wow.
    How can you hate on someone who uses the word BAYPLOSIONS in a sentence?
  • I actually read that word as "BABYSPLOSIONS" the first time and got really confused.
  • I actually read that word as "BABYSPLOSIONS" the first time and got really confused.
    Some day, Fast Karate: The Movie will be made, and then that will be a reality.
    I didn't realize it wasn't "BABYSPLOSIONS" until right now.
  • I didn't realize it wasn't "BABYSPLOSIONS" until right now.
    Yeah, me too. I'm disappointed.
  • edited June 2011
    I didn't realize it wasn't "BABYSPLOSIONS" until right now.
    Yeah, me too. I'm disappointed.
    Monster.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Just got back from watching it. It was a very enjoyable movie. As I've explained it before when watching the trailers, if The Goonies and Cloverfield had a baby, this would its baby. Coincidentally, Spielberg worked on The Goonies and J.J. Abrams worked on Cloverfield.

While the basic storyline is nothing new, I think what shined the most in this movie was the dialogue and acting of the young teenagers. There was a small scene where they are in the diner talking about the train wreck, and the conversations are all over the place. It really stuck out because it reminded me of the sorts of conversations I would have when I was that age.

While the certain characters of the group didn't stick out as much, the main 4 of the group were highly entertaining. Charles was quite possibly my favorite character of the whole bunch.

I want to say more, but I have to do other things. Oh, also stay during the credits. It was high quality.

Perhaps I'll finally stop shit talking and do a review for Jason so he can post it in the Simply Syndicated blog. (No promises.)
  • Just got back from watching it. It was a very enjoyable movie. As I've explained it before when watching the trailers, if The Goonies and Cloverfield had a baby, this would its baby. Coincidentally, Spielberg worked on The Goonies and J.J. Abrams worked on Cloverfield.

While the basic storyline is nothing new, I think what shined the most in this movie was the dialogue and acting of the young teenagers. There was a small scene where they are in the diner talking about the train wreck, and the conversations are all over the place. It really stuck out because it reminded me of the sorts of conversations I would have when I was that age.

While the certain characters of the group didn't stick out as much, the main 4 of the group were highly entertaining. Charles was quite possibly my favorite character of the whole bunch.

I want to say more, but I have to do other things. Oh, also stay during the credits. It was high quality.

Perhaps I'll finally stop shit talking and do a review for Jason so he can post it in the Simply Syndicated blog. (No promises.)
    I haven't watched the film yet but watching the trailer had this E.T vibe about it for me, except E.T is trying to kill everybody.
  • I haven't watched the film yet but watching the trailer had this E.T vibe about it for me, except E.T is trying to kill everybody.
    Yes, there was also a E.T. vibe as well.

Jeremy said it was as if J.J. Abrams made a story doing somewhat of an homage to Spielberg with him working on it as well.
  • edited June 2011
    Wow.
    Hey cock bite. I am very sorry that I was extremely tired while writing that. I had done yard work all day and dragged 6 very old (read very heavy) up a long flight of stairs and three of them up two flights of stairs. I also spent the rest of the day doing manual labor around my house. Please also note that it was after 3 am when I posted that.

What spelling mistakes are in there? According to the spell check that is provided there are none. As for any grammar mistakes I said pretty much admitted that there could be some in that post.
    It is just to late to try and process it all now and be coherent while being entertaining.
    I hope that you feel like you have a giant English major penis. I also think you are cool and handsome, I bet that making fun of my post got you tons of friends. Perhaps you should just go back to lurking and not posting. Oh and where are you from? You say "3rd grade", but you spell favorite with an extra letter there boy. Canadians say "grade 3" and people of the empire say "'third form". Either you are posing and adding a u to words that do not need them to look cool, or you are conforming to an American expression because you are on an American site. If it is that later then why not conform all the way and drop that extra u bullshit.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • Wow.
    Hey cock bite. I am very sorry that I was extremely tired while writing that. I had done yard work all day and dragged 6 very old (read very heavy) up a long flight of stairs and three of them up two flights of stairs. I also spent the rest of the day doing manual labor around my house. Please also note that it was after 3 am when I posted that.
    Hello again, I guess you must have repeated that oh so strenuous manual labour today, or the strain of a day ago is still affecting your cognitive ability. However the most likely to me seems that you just have no understanding of basic written English. Your inability to express yourself has provided further hilarity today and you still failed to describe what you were transporting up your stairs. There were apparently 6 of them, very heavy and very old.... feathers? balloons? coins?

I'm so sorry that manual labour inhibits your ability to write. I myself did 6 hours of surgery and 4 hours of consults yet can still form coherent sentences. I myself posted my comment at 1:50 am my time yesterday. I'm sorry that both manual labour and mismanagement of time combine to impair your abilities to such an extreme.
    What spelling mistakes are in there? According to the spell check that is provided there are none. As for any grammar mistakes I said pretty much admitted that there could be some in that post.
    I assumed my spelling was better at a younger age just from your grammatical ineptitude. I don't think there "could have been" grammatical mistakes, the mistakes are quite obvious.
    I hope that you feel like you have a giant English major penis.
    Unfortunately I'm not English and I am under no disillusion of the size of my genitalia especially with my Asian descent.
    I also think you are cool and handsome, I bet that making fun of my post got you tons of friends.
    Thanks for the kind words, but I highly doubt I could form instantaneous friendships over pointing out the obvious.
    Perhaps you should just go back to lurking and not posting.
    Perhaps I might not continue to post in the forum but apart from you everybody seems to be able to write respectfully and intelligently. I was informed on the podcast that the forums had started up with some more vitality and that I should check it out. I use to post quite regularly but I was unable to do that when I was working in an Emergency Clinic. If you feel threatened by my presence maybe you should approach the forum moderators and have me banned. I would more than understand in that situation as I must have deeply hurt you.
    Oh and where are you from? You say "3rd grade", but you spell favorite with an extra letter there boy. Canadians say "grade 3" and people of the empire say "'third form". Either you are posing and adding a u to words that do not need them to look cool, or you are conforming to an American expression because you are on an American site. If it is that later then why not conform all the way and drop that extra u bullshit.
    I'm from Australia. We refer to levels in Primary school as grades. I am sorry that I do not use Webster's Dictionary and that I have studied with words form the Oxford Dictionary for 18 years. I am not sure what "empire" you speak of, is that the one that Lord Vader once commanded?
    I am sorry that you have only been raised and experienced life within one country, it explains the xenophobic undertone and your confusion.

Oh look, you actually can't spell either; I believe you meant to spell "later" as "latter" in that context but that is just my non-American comprehension. I believe in your eyes it must be quite poor compared to the American equivalent (no matter how incorrect).

Hope you have a great day gardening and hopefully you don't strain yourself physically again or mentally by reading this post.
  • I AM SMARTER THAN YOU WHIIIIIINE
    NO YOU'RE NOT WHIIIIIIIIINE
    Sure is 4chan in here today.
  • I like how their writing styles suddenly got really formal and polysyllabic.
  • edited June 2011
    You am doctor being? Smart are you much heavy big brian.

Sure is 4chan in here today.
    Was 4chan yesterday. Even more 4chan tahmarra.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • Sure is 4chan in here today.
    Every day is Internet Argument Day.
  • Despite all the internet arguing, Tim lost favor with me when he used the term "cock bite".

Respect minus minus, dude.
  • I like how their writing styles suddenly got really formal and polysyllabic.
    I don't believe I went out of the norm for how I usually express myself and I believe Tim did not add any syllables to anything he wrote, although if he did it was unnoticeable to me.
    You am doctor being? Smart are you much heavy big brian.
    No I'm just a simple Veterinary Surgeon, Medicine isn't a very intelligence based profession or subject many General Practitioners will tend to use pattern recognising techniques to skip actually performing any science and prescribing incredibly high volumes of strong drugs, skipping the whole science part of the profession. While this is possible with the Veterinary field m personal take on it is to have backed up my treatment protocols by having sufficient data whether it be running bloods or imaging.

The density and weight of a brain does not increase with how "smart" someone is. Animals which have found to be "smarter" or lead more complex lives tend to have a greater total surface area.

Is there any reason that the thread for this movie isn't being discussed in the "Movies you have seen" thread?
  • Is there any reason that the thread for this movie isn't being discussed in the "Movies you have seen" thread?
    It is actually, inasmuch as "Saw Super 8 last night." and "Super 8 was really good." count as discussion. This thread is for you and Tim to 4chan at each other.
  • I felt like Super 8 had more Monster Squad homage going on than anything else. Replace dracula with an alien, and scary german guy with the teacher, and you're done.
  • No I'm just a simple Veterinary Surgeon
    Doctor Chris Brown? You have an extraordinarily square head.
  • edited June 2011
    I felt like Super 8 had more Monster Squad homage going on than anything else. Replace dracula with an alien, and scary german guy with the teacher, and you're done.

Wolfman's got nards!
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • You am doctor being? Smart are you much heavy big brian.
    No I'm just a simple Veterinary Surgeon, Medicine isn't a very intelligence based profession or subject many General Practitioners will tend to use pattern recognising techniques to skip actually performing any science and prescribing incredibly high volumes of strong drugs, skipping the whole science part of the profession. While this is possible with the Veterinary field m personal take on it is to have backed up my treatment protocols by having sufficient data whether it be running bloods or imaging.
    Wow. Thanks for the broad-as-fuck generalization.

Have your arguments, but don't insult an entire profession just to make a point in a stupid internet dick-measuring contest.
  • pattern recognising techniques to skip actually performing any science
    That...that is what science is. We observe patterns and draw conclusions! That's what we do!

Holy hell man.
  • edited June 2011
    No I'm just a simple specialized scientist, being a scientist isn't a very intelligence based profession or subject many specialized scientists will tend to use science to skip actually performing any science and using experimentally determined protocols, skipping the whole science part of the profession. While this is possible with my scientific field, my personal take on it is to have backed up my scientific conclusions by having sufficient data whether it be from one experiment or another.
    Sir Francis Bacon fucking wept, man.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Sir Francis Bacon fucking wept, man.
    I disagree, as prior evidence indicates he is in fact dead, and therefore incapable of weeping.
  • Sir Francis Bacon fucking wept, man.
    I disagree, as prior evidence indicates he is in fact dead, and therefore incapable of weeping.
    I missed this because I am working on becoming a doctor and am therefore incapable of scientific deduction.