This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MegaTokyo

edited June 2007 in Manga/Comics
Does anyone else really like this manga? I really enjoy the humor, plot, and characters. Dom and pyro are my favorites! ^_^ *Fangirl squee*

Comments

• edited June 2007
    <.< not manga.

I'm not bashing it, but not manga.
    Post edited by Corbin on
  • Well it was made into a manga format. It was a web comic. I never read the web comic.
  • Well it was made into a manga format. It was a web comic. I never read the web comic.
    The printed book you buy in the store is the same as what you read on the web. Only instead of reading it one page every couple of days, you read all the pages at once.
  • Wow. I'm really excited. Scott posted something directed at me. I never thought that would happen. Oh, how I love teh Internets. ^_^ Yeah, I was never sure if the web comic and the book were the same. So what are ya'lls thoughts on it?
  • I'm really excited. Scott posted something directed at me.
    Got-damn Scott. Take it easy with the ladies. ^_~
  • lol. I think I'm to young for him but I wouldn't complain.
  • Despite MT's flaws (horrible story pacing, overwrought drama, Sonoda Yuki in general) I really like it. As I like to put it, it's good of its kind. Not fanboying material, but not trash.
  • I read the comic for maybe three years on the recommendation of friends, and I was never able get the characters straight, or manage to make myself care about anyone. I went back a few times after I stopped reading regularly, and the plot had moved nowhere, nor had Fred's art improved at all. On top of that, I've heard some really unfortunate things about bad blood between Fred and Rodney, it all just really rubs me the wrong way.

To be frank, I don't understand why it is as popular as it is.
  • I like MT, I understand people's issues with it, but that stuff doesn't really bother me. Maybe because I'm reading it 3 pages a week rather then a book at a time.

And yeah the stuff the happened between Fred and Rodney was unfortunate, but that was even before I started reading the comic, and that kind of stuff happens sometimes when you have two people working on a comic's story.
  •  I read Megatokyo.  I'm not sure why.  I really don't think there's anything wrong with it, it just goes on too long - too much filler, not enough awesome.
    I like MT, I understand people's issues with it, but that stuff doesn't really bother me. Maybe because I'm reading it 3 pages a week rather then a book at a time.

I think that would make it worse, not better...
  • I read it as well. Re: the art, I like the backgrounds. :P I guess it comes from Fred's background in architecture. I don't know what went on between Fred and Rodney. Nothing I ever read was really clear on it. The characters themselves are kind of boring though. Eeeeh.

And of course it is manga. What is it... "Comics: English for manga."?
  • inted book you buy in the store is the same as what you read on the web. Only instead of reading it one page every couple of days, you read all the pages at once.
    Yes.. I think I did almost an all nighter trying to read that. I find the main problem that stopped me reading is the story goes on such tangents without connecting things together. Characters assume their roles the moment they enter the story.

Its good but I don't think its right for someone doing so little to become so popular while people struggle and put out a new story weekly and get paid peanuts.
  • edited June 2007
    I find myself still reading Megatokyo. I have it bookmarked, and I still go to the site and read the new comic. I have done so for years. However, I also find myself not caring about the comic at all. It elicits no emotional response from me whatsoever. I like some of the non-character art, but that's about it. I think it just goes to show you that you do not need to make something quality to be popular. Sure, if your work is very awesome, that helps a lot, but it is far from necessary. This should be obvious to anyone looking at current pop culture.

Yeah, Megatokyo is just sort of this comic that's there, and seemingly always will be there. I can't say it is terrible, because it is better than the vast majority of web comics. Of course, I'll say it again, the vast majority of everything is terrible. Megatokyo isn't good enough for me to care about it at all. However, I read it out of habit, and it has an important place in the history of web comics and our new geek culture.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited June 2007

I think that would make it worse, not better...

Not necessarily, some things work better when read slowly, while other things work better in a book format. Those things that you read slowly can become bad when they are put into book form since perhaps they read too fast, or because the time between each comic is greatly shortened so the time you have to think about each page separately is greatly less.
    Post edited by Kiey on
  • I think that would make it worse, not better...
    Not necessarily, some things work better when read slowly, while other things work better in a book format. Those things that you read slowly can become bad when they are put into book form since perhaps they read too fast, or because the time between each comic is greatly shortened so the time you have to think about each page separately is greatly less.

Yeah, that's true of some things, but not of Megatokyo.  One of the problems I have with MT is that it takes so fucking long for anything to actually happen (in the webcomic version) and it seems like reading it in book form could make it better.
  • Megatokyo seems like it'd be very easy to see all the discrepancies and would move way too fast if you read it in a big chunk...
    Yeah, Megatokyo is just sort of this comic that's there, and seemingly always will be there. I can't say it is terrible, because it is better than the vast majority of web comics. Of course, I'll say it again, the vast majority of everything is terrible. Megatokyo isn't good enough for me to care about it at all. However, I read it out of habit, and it has an important place in the history of web comics and our new geek culture.
    Ayep.
  • I find myself still reading Megatokyo. I have it bookmarked, and I still go to the site and read the new comic. I have done so for years. However, I also find myself not caring about the comic at all. It elicits no emotional response from me whatsoever. I like some of the non-character art, but that's about it. I think it just goes to show you that you do not need to make something quality to be popular. Sure, if your work is very awesome, that helps a lot, but it is far from necessary. This should be obvious to anyone looking at current pop culture.
    I thought you only had time for the best of entertainment. As it stands I stopped reading Megatokyo soon after Largo quit because it lost it's humorous edge.

• I thought you only had time for the best of entertainment. As it stands I stopped reading Megatokyo soon after Largo quit because it lost it's humorous edge.
    It takes me about 5 seconds to read Megatokyo. Not a big deal.
  • It takes me about 5 seconds to read Megatokyo. Not a big deal.
    Yea, 5 seconds of a American fanboy stuck in japan pining over a young Japanese girl... (if I can still remember the plot, which I figure 4 years running is still the same ^_^)

/troll
  • I read the Bad Boys of Computer Science for almost a year after it stopped updating.  I doubt I'll stop reading MegaTokyo anytime soon...  I tend to grudgingly deign to read any webcomic but, once reading, will stick with it to the bitter, bitter end.
  • Not me; I quit Sluggy Freelance cold turkey a few years ago.
  • I read the Bad Boys of Computer Science for almost a year after it stopped updating. I doubt I'll stop reading MegaTokyo anytime soon... I tend to grudgingly deign to read any webcomic but, once reading, will stick with it to the bitter, bitter end.

Kinda like how I still read Bob and George despite the fact that it's sucked for at least the last 3 years.
  • I still have the beginning of the Sluggy Freelance: Oceans Unmoving 2 story line in my comics browser window. I keep starting to read it, and then I get though maybe two pages and then find something else to do
  • Sluggy Freelance is great to read through.  It's really entertaining, funny, dramatic.  The problem is, once you're done with those chunks it takes so long to update, so you decide to wait a couple months for a build-up to get there, but the plots are so involved you can't remember all the characters and you get confused and stop.
  • I also have a habit of reading web comics out of habit.

Sadly, most good web comics end quickly, or have some flaw in them that takes away from the awesomeness.

For example I have sexy losers, this now defunct web comic has made me lawl an uncountable number of times yet it's art is practically not for children.

I still read and laugh to QC tough.
  • The guy really has talent as an artist but really needs to wrap megatokyo up and start something with an end in sight from the beginning; and he defiantly needs to get a writer.
  • I read MT the first couple of years then I switched to Mac Hall. Then when that comic starting updating less and less, the finally stopped. I switched up to Questionable Content. I'm pretty happy with QC providing me with my soap opera comic drama fix.
  • edited June 2007
    Yeah, I stopped reading MT years ago. The art was good (when it wasn't stick figure filler), but the story gradually became an overemotional wappanese wish fullfillment- which could be okay, if it wasn't so slow and unfunny. I mean, seriously, when was the last time that l33t speak stuff was funny? Six years ago, maybe?

These days Dresden Codak is my poison of choice. Between updates, I regularly follow Dinosaur Comics, Order of the Stick, Questionable Content, and Scary Go Round.
    Post edited by J.Sharp on
  • It seems to me, and maybe just me, but it seems like the majority of people who read webcomics want to read gag a day, or just comedic comics with no story, rather then reading comics that are more story based (whether that story includes mostly humor, mostly drama, or a good mix of both.)
  • It seems to me, and maybe just me, but it seems like the majority of people who read webcomics want to read gag a day, or just comedic comics with no story, rather then reading comics that are more story based (whether that story includes mostly humor, mostly drama, or a good mix of both.)
    This is because reading a story comic takes up time. And that's more time than I would like to devote to webcomics.