This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070613 - Eagle

RymRym
edited June 2007 in Manga/Comics
Tonight on GeekNights, we review Eagle: The Making of an Asian-American President. In the news, Otakon has announced Morio Asaka as a guest, and Nymphet is perverted.
cott's Thing - Japanese Treadmill Challenge

Rym's Thing - Superflat Monogram

Comments

• edited June 2007
    AWESOME!
    I got vol 1 and 2 from my local used book store and I am loving it :P
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • OMG the treadmill thing is spoofing Hana Yori Dango that's so great!! I lol'd.
  • I'm gonna have to try to track down the song in that superflat video.
  • edited June 2007
    Watching the superflat video the first time felt like it reminded me of something. I read the description and then it hit me, it reminds me of digimon. The reason why? It was directed by the same guy who did digimon: the movie. Although I do love the music, I've been liking that kind of music alot lately, the mostly instrumental kind of disjointed music. It's kind of hard to explain for example the music in Paprika, I loved it. Taking the sounds separately and combining them into a whole. The best examples I can give of what I mean are the music from Paprika and Amatuer where Lasse Gjertsen takes the individual sounds and makes them whole.
    Post edited by Corbin on
  • Rym was wrong yesterday, so I guess it's Scott's turn to be wrong today. No, a Publisher doesn't get any money if a book is on the store shelves. If a store can't sell a book, then the contracts that books are bought under (And this is true of all book that you will find in a Borders or other retailer) allow the retailer to return the book to the publisher for a full refund. But you don't even have to return the whole book to the publisher to get a full refund, all you have to return is the front and back cover of a book.
  • Rym was wrong yesterday, so I guess it's Scott's turn to be wrong today. No, a Publisher doesn't get any money if a book is on the store shelves. If a store can't sell a book, then the contracts that books are bought under (And this is true of all book that you will find in a Borders or other retailer) allow the retailer to return the book to the publisher for a full refund. But you don't even have to return the whole book to the publisher to get a full refund, all you have to return is the front and back cover of a book.
    While this is true, how many books actually get returned? Sure, if the store buys 100 copies of a new book with lots of hype, and only 10 get sold, they will probably return some of them. If the store orders 2 copies of a particular manga volume, odds are they will never be returned whether they are bought or not. This is why you can go to Borders and you will still see plenty of Tokyopop volumes that almost nobody likes.
  • edited June 2007
    "The director of the Digimon movie is the same person who directed this movie: Mamoru Hosoda."

Helllss yeah. Say what you will about the Digimon Movie, but it's a pretty movie in my opinion.
    Post edited by Railith on
  • Rym was wrong yesterday, so I guess it's Scott's turn to be wrong today. No, a Publisher doesn't get any money if a book is on the store shelves. If a store can't sell a book, then the contracts that books are bought under (And this is true of all book that you will find in a Borders or other retailer) allow the retailer to return the book to the publisher for a full refund. But you don't even have to return the whole book to the publisher to get a full refund, all you have to return is the front and back cover of a book.While this is true, how many books actually get returned? Sure, if the store buys 100 copies of a new book with lots of hype, and only 10 get sold, they will probably return some of them. If the store orders 2 copies of a particular manga volume, odds are they will never be returned whether they are bought or not. This is why you can go to Borders and you will still see plenty of Tokyopop volumes that almost nobody likes.Scott, this goes into one of the problems with the publishing industry: it doesn't matter when the books get returned, they still have to provide a full refund, even if the book is out of print or it's ten years later.

As to how many of the unsold get returned? I'm not sure, but in your example, I would hazard a guess that the Borders might return 75-85 of the books. The reason they still have the Tokyopop might not be because they can't or don't want to return it; it might simply be that they want their shelves to look full, and until they need the space, they won't bother returning the unsold copies.
  • Scott, this goes into one of the problems with the publishing industry: it doesn't matter when the books get returned, they still have to provide a full refund, even if the book is out of print or it's ten years later. As to how many of the unsold get returned? I'm not sure, but in your example, I would hazard a guess that the Borders might return 75-85 of the books. The reason they still have the Tokyopop might not be because they can't or don't want to return it; it might simply be that they want their shelves to look full, and until they need the space, they won't bother returning the unsold copies.
    Well, if books can be returned at any time, at what time do the authors get royalty payments? If a book I write sells a million copies, and 10 years later they are returned, do I have to give my royalties back?
  • I'm pretty sure that you guys referenced the event where a person had to eat two full dinners in one night in both this episode and the one about Sanctuary.
  • That's politics :-p