This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Discover awesome racing

edited May 2011 in Everything Else
I was poking around on youtube when I happened to find this gem, a really close and not overlong race from the British Touring Car Championship
Hxc6YAX7JH4
I'd like to open this thread up to everyone to share awesome racing and discuss it

Comments

• Nice, he ran him right off the road.
  • edited May 2011
    I'm beginning to think that shorter races are much better for everyone involved. The drivers aren't in superhot cars for hours on end at a time, the fans don't have to sit there too long out in the sun or rain, and it's much easier to sit down at home and watch something that runs a half hour or an hour than the 3 hour marathon that is your average super speedway race. I realize that oval racing is all about very minute differences and things like passes need time to happen, but it does get dull after a while unless you're really invested in one driver or another.
    EDIT: Not to mention you kind of force the drivers to make a move if they see it because they may not get another chance.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • edited May 2011
    The V8 Supercars are pretty fun to watch. Basically, you take a big block V8 road car, chuck a big, elaborate rollcage in it, rip out most of the shite, tune the shit out of the engine, stick some fucking mentalist in it, and then put it on a fast, technical track. Then Repeat till you have 29 Drivers per race.

Here's race 2 from the Gold coast race last year -

Starts getting interesting about 40 seconds in, when the bloke shoves his nose in, they both get a touch of drift in the corner and contact, he powers it out, and gives the leader a smack for good measure. And then pretty much goes mental, including ramming the race leader right up the clacker, while they're all pissing about doing things like 130 KPH turns with 4-5 inches space from the wall. That's right - it's as vicious as the BTCC, but the cars are bigger, faster and louder.

Or this one

Where it's raining, nobody's got wets on, and what do the two race leaders decide to do? Start having a 190 KPH drag race down the straight, about six inches off each other's door. Later on, someone has some damage that's effecting steering and braking, and what do they do? Well, fuck all, really, just keep pounding it while assuring the crew chief they're taking it easy.

And even though there is the occasional fuckup, we at least try to fuckup with style.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Speaking of when rain falls, the leader of this race when the rain comes down heavy has balls of steel and uses his brain while under safety car, though if I understand it right justice prevails in the end,
  • edited May 2011
    The V8 Supercars are pretty fun to watch.
    Having just watched

I agree, that was fun. I want Nascar to be this, basically.
  • I agree, that was fun. I want Nascar to be this, basically.
    Additionally, I want all pointless CGI intros to be like that.

Also, it's pretty exiting because it comes down to skill quite a lot - there is only so much you can do with the cars they drive, and the skill gap between most of the field is negligible, with usually only about a second or so separating the leader and the back end of the pack during qualifying, and your brand new first-season kid who qualifies 29th on the grid can take home the gold - even more so in longer races, such as Bathurst(1000 KM) and Phillip Island (500 KM).

Side note for non-gearheads - The reason some of them are weaving like mad bastards at the start is to warm the tires.
  • I agree, that was fun. I want Nascar to be this, basically.
    Additionally, I want all pointless CGI intros to be like that.

Also, it's pretty exiting because it comes down to skill quite a lot - there is only so much you can do with the cars they drive, and the skill gap between most of the field is negligible, with usually only about a second or so separating the leader and the back end of the pack during qualifying, and your brand new first-season kid who qualifies 29th on the grid can take home the gold - even more so in longer races, such as Bathurst(1000 KM) and Phillip Island (500 KM).

Side note for non-gearheads - The reason some of them are weaving like mad bastards at the start is to warm the tires.
    They do that in almost every form of racing I've ever seen. Anyone not super new to racing ought to know about warming up the tires. The CG intro was indeed sweet, and was useful too, making it easier to pick out drivers and cars.
  • They do that in almost every form of racing I've ever seen. Anyone not super new to racing ought to know about warming up the tires.
    I'm figuring we'll have at least one person here who is super-new to racing.
    The CG intro was indeed sweet, and was useful too, making it easier to pick out drivers and cars.
    True that - Showing the name next to the livery on the car makes it much easier to pick them out - most of the cars look almost identical in body shape, so you kinda have to go by livery or sheer luck.
  • edited June 2011
    Hurray for necroposting!
    I just watched an awesome little race with Formula Ford cars from our friends in New Zealand. It's only a bit over 13 minutes but the front of the pack is super tight and the passes are difficult and really satisfying to see. Enjoy
  • Is it harder to go right in a circle or to go left in a circle?
  • Is it harder to go right in a circle or to go left in a circle?
    Presumably since all American oval racing is, as best I know, to the left, oval racing to the right must be darn near impossible ;) Though most cars that run Monza seem to take that opening right turn well. Key word being most.
  • Does Europe not have oval track racing? And are all eurpoean races run clockwise?
  • Does Europe not have oval track racing? And are all eurpoean races run clockwise?
    It's like their toilets. Must be a gravitational thing.
  • Damn coriolis effect...
  • edited June 2011
    Does Europe not have oval track racing? And are all eurpoean races run clockwise?
    I've heard of English Stock Car racing but I've never seen it. Also most tracks are clockwise but some aren't and it's actually not too fun for the open wheel drivers, at least, because their neck is used to going one way from the G Force they're pulling and then you come to another track that pulls you the opposite way. Also it probably because habit to look for the pits on the right side.
    EDIT: doing a quick bit of research online leads me to what should probably have been an obvious answer: safety. NASCAR runs anti clockwise because the driver is on the left side and so they are that little bit further from the point of impact if they crash into the outside wall, while European cars are, of course, the opposite, so most tracks run the opposite way.
  • edited June 2011
    So apparently English stock car racing looks more like American sprint cars

or really old school stock car racing

compare this to 2010's Daytona 500

or 2011's, which is drastically different in style

and I'll even throw in some Indycar oval racing for fun
  • edited June 2011

Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I'll leave you with one last racing video before I call it a night

aka point 1 in why Gran Turismo 5 is not ready for prime time
  • edited June 2011
    Enough of GT5! Lets switch over to what you'll find in Dirt3! GYMKHANA!

Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited June 2011
    Enough of Gymkahna, Grab your partner and turn around!
    Post edited by Churba on
  • All I could hear in my head while watching that was Yakity Sax.
  • All I could hear in my head while watching that was Yakity Sax.
    Here ya go.
  • While Ken Block has stunt driving down, a guy like Ari Vatanen is in a class by himself. Love me some rallying.
  • This is an interesting little comparison
  • Stock cars can turn right?
  • They do run a couple of road tracks a year, usually. I'll try to find the races later, but for now, I found this and wanted to share it.
  • Here's an actual race they ran at Watkins Glen. Apparently they just ran Road America, I'll be looking forward to taking a look at that.

and here is Road America for those who aren't familiar
  • I love how Marcos Ambrose (multiple champion V8 Supercar driver who has since moved to NASCAR) completely stomps all over the best of the best when he's put on a road course. I feel all proud and gooey :3
  • edited June 2011
    And here's some fookin' irish rally drivers.

He spends more time abusing the other prick than he does giving directions.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • FUCK YOU, I'M A MOTHERFUCKIN' SEAGULL!