This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's hard to keep track of which topic you're in

edited June 2011 in Forum Stuff
Cause I always tab a bunch. Would it be hard to make a thing that you can enable that floats at the bottom (like how in FF4+ and Chrome when a page is loading) that says the name of the topic? Would you implement it if I made it?
Or maybe a "next topic" button - which I'm sure someone has already made an extension for.

Am I doing something wrong, since I don't know which topic I'm in? Is there a way to configure Firefox to not show words that are in the URL in the text on the tab?

Comments

• If you hover the pointer over the tab in Firefox, it tells you the name of the thread, which is what I do if I forget.
  • You could always just look at your title bar after switching to another tab before dicking on. The topic title is in there.
  • You could always just look at your title bar after switching to another tab before dicking on. The topic title is in there.
    Not in FF4+ (or Chrome, I think -- been a while since I used Chrome). Their title bars are empty, so if you have enough tabs open you can't see the topic title.

That said, hovering the pointer over the tab does work, even if it's a bit annoying.
  • My tabs in chrome are too small to see more than just an icon.

Maybe I should close a few tabs? >_>
  • Not in FF4+ (or Chrome, I think -- been a while since I used Chrome). Their title bars are empty, so if you have enough tabs open you can't see the topic title.
    I'm usin gFF4 at work. The topic is clearly in the title bar.
  • Not in FF4+ (or Chrome, I think -- been a while since I used Chrome). Their title bars are empty, so if you have enough tabs open you can't see the topic title.
    On a Mac or Gnome 2? Otherwise, there won't be any text in the title bar (at least when it's fullscreened).

And thank you Churba! I didn't realize I could do that. That'll greatly improve my Vanilla-forum browsing experience. But is there any way I can do it without moving the mouse?
  • And thank you Churba! I didn't realize I could do that. That'll greatly improve my Vanilla-forum browsing experience. But is there any way I can do it without moving the mouse?
    Memory exercises?
  • On a Mac or Gnome 2? Otherwise, there won't be any text in the title bar (at least when it's fullscreened).
    Hah! Windows, like a real man.
  • On a Mac or Gnome 2? Otherwise, there won't be any text in the title bar (at least when it's fullscreened).
    Fuck Yeah.
    You lie! (Or you're on a version of Windows other than 7/Leaked 8's that were leaked prior to last month-ish)
  • edited June 2011
    Not in FF4+ (or Chrome, I think -- been a while since I used Chrome). Their title bars are empty, so if you have enough tabs open you can't see the topic title.
    On a Mac or Gnome 2? Otherwise, there won't be any text in the title bar (at least when it's fullscreened).
    Can you set your preferences to a different skin? Sometimes you can revert to a classic view on programs that have been reskinned.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • You lie! (Or you're on a version of Windows other than 7/Leaked 8's that were leaked prior to last month-ish)
    Nope. Windows 7. Firefox 4.
  • Can you set your preferences to a different skin? Sometimes you can revert to a classic view on programs that have been reskinned.
    Yes, just go to view Menu Bar.
  • It is disturbing. I don't know why that design even crossed their minds. I don't know anyone who would want to buy that. I'm sorry, am I in the wrong thread?
  • Can you set your preferences to a different skin? Sometimes you can revert to a classic view on programs that have been reskinned.
    Oooh... I see... that is handy... but ugly! I'll just hover over shit I suppose =P
  • edited June 2011
    Can you set your preferences to a different skin? Sometimes you can revert to a classic view on programs that have been reskinned.
    Yup, this is what you are looking for Aria. (view>toolbars>Menu Bar)
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • How many techy people does it take to give browser support?

This thread is funny. I am laughing pretty hard.
    Honestly? I can't give crap for desktop support anymore. My answer to every desktop problem is google and futzing.
  • edited June 2011
    My answer to every desktop problem is google and futzing.
    That's how I give other people tech support :-p (and I get paid modestly for it :-p) people don't have time to do their own troubleshooting ;-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • My answer to every desktop problem is google and futzing.
    That's how I give other people tech support :-p
    That's how I avoid calling tech support.
  • As Scott always says, many of our IT/CS jobs would disappear if anyone else had ever heard of Google.
  • As Scott always says, many of our IT/CS jobs would disappear if anyone else had ever heard of Google.
    The First Rule of IT is you don't talk about Google.
    The Second Rule of IT is ...
    The First Rule of IT is you don't talk about Google.
    The Second Rule of IT is ...
    Candleja-
  • My answer to every desktop problem is google and futzing.
    That's how I give other people tech support :-p (and I get paid modestly for it :-p) people don't have time to do their own troubleshooting ;-p
    This, but like 6 years ago when I actually worked helpdesk for my campus network.

I was using linux and mac. Windows ... had to look that shit up.
  • edited June 2011
    Not in FF4+
    Stop covering your title bar with tabs you idiot. It's an annoying feature anyway.
    It is disturbing. I don't know why that design even crossed their minds. I don't know anyone who would want to buy that.
    Collapsing the menu bar into a single button and putting it on the tabbar is a great idea. The stupid idea is that they then turn the window bar into the tabbar on Windows.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • It is disturbing. I don't know why that design even crossed their minds. I don't know anyone who would want to buy that.
    Collapsing the menu bar into a single button and putting it on the tabbar is a great idea. The stupid idea is that they then turn the window bar into the tabbar on Windows.
    That was pony-figure talk.
  • edited June 2011
    That was pony-figure talk.
    There's a chloroform bottle there in the corner. Bottom's up, enjoy.
    Post edited by Not nine on
    Honestly? I can't give crap for desktop support anymore. My answer to every desktop problem is google and futzing.
    Haha, my mom finally learned how to do this. She discovered tech support forums. Now I don't have to figure out how to get rid of Blaster Virus invasions anymore. She's the household tech support. Good thing too, because my stepdad is a total techtard and screws things up at a phenomenal rate.
  • Collapsing the menu bar into a single button and putting it on the tabbar is a great idea. The stupid idea is that they then turn the window bar into the tabbar on Windows.
    I love that. Whatever saves up all to needed space is good. Titlebar is useless 94% of the time anyways, at least in my usage.