This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anyone hear of Cerebus?

edited June 2007 in Manga/Comics
Cerebus, a comic that came out of Spawn, and asides from that I know nothing. I was just curious if anyone has heard of it or knows anything about it.

Comments

• wait, this cerebus?
    That is the only comic Cerebus I know of.  I haven't read it, but it has a reputation of "excellent adventure at the beginning; crazy author rants at the end".  I want to check it out, but not quite enough to actually do it.
    Apparently Dave Sim (the writer of Cerebus) wrote an issue of Spawn; that could be where the confusion comes from.  However, Cerebus started a while earlier.
  • Perhaps he means cerberus? I have no idea.

I am, however, familiar with Cerebus by Dave Sim. I own and have read the first two volumes. It is obvious to me why people call this comic such a great artistic achievement. In many ways it clearly pushes sequential art to its limit. However, I did not find it a joy to read. As I read on into the second volume, I found I wasn't laughing at the jokes. I also was not able to make sense of what was going on without expending great effort. Reading on became a struggle akin to walking through a three foot deep bog.
  • As I read on into the second volume, I found I wasn't laughing at the jokes. I also was not able to make sense of what was going on without expending great effort. Reading on became a struggle akin to walking through a three foot deep bog.
    I had the same feeling reading this book. I made it through the entire series but my enjoyment was really on the sharp decline after the Church & State storyline. The earlier parts are pretty good and available in giant TPBs.
  • That is the comic I was talking about.
    So your basically saying that it starts off good, and then just gets more complicated without any redeeming factor to counter the confusing mayhem? Or at least something to that extent.
    So your basically saying that it starts off good, and then just gets more complicated without any redeeming factor to counter the confusing mayhem? Or at least something to that extent.
    I think what I'm saying is that it's not for everybody.
  • hen just gets more complicated without any redeeming factor to counter the confusing mayhem? Or at least somethin

That's what I have heard, but I can't confirm it.
    I think what I'm saying is that it's not for everybody.
    I would concur with that. I read about the first half of the run, and there are some great moments of storytelling there. Jaka's Story was a very emotional story to me (though at the moment I can't remember why lol), and Church & State I & II were both awesome. But you have to be willing to peek into Dave Sim's political mindset -- and, some would say, his madness :) -- to really appreciate it.

(Don't ask me for examples, though -- it's been waaaay too long.)