This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Worst Web-Comic Contest!

Comments

• Goddamn. As a person currently working on starting up a webcomic, this is the sort of thing that gives me occasional flashes of crippling doubt and insecurity.
  • How could a web comic about a chick riding around on a cybernetic T-Rex possibly go wrong?
  • edited July 2011
    How could a web comic about a chick riding around on a cybernetic T-Rex possibly go wrong?
    If they have sex.

@Funfetus, don't worry too much. You have us to use on a mock trial and you know how we love to give our opinions on things.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Goddamn. As a person currently working on starting up a webcomic, this is the sort of thing that gives me occasional flashes of crippling doubt and insecurity.
    Glad to help.
    The easiest way not to suck is to listen to other people and take reasonable criticism. The very worst webcomics, like Ctrl+Alt+Del, are most notable for their inability to take criticism or to incorporate those lessons into their work.
  • The very worst webcomics, like Ctrl+Alt+Del, are most notable for their inability to take criticism or to incorporate those lessons into their work.
    I forget about this story, can someone enlighten me? I once read CAD and enjoyed it, but it became the same old thing and stopped reading. They have a few amusing things about video games on rare occasion, but not enough to have me add to my reader feed.
  • edited July 2011
    I would like to nominate BBoCS for Worst at Keeping Your Fucking Life Drama from Interfering with Your Fucking Comic.
    How could a web comic about a chick riding around on a cybernetic T-Rex possibly go wrong?
    How could Michael Bay fuck up a movie about giant robots?

EDIT 2: Not that I'm saying funfetus is Michael Bay. Far from it. I'm just saying that awesome noun soup does not necessarily make an awesome story.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • The very worst webcomics, like Ctrl+Alt+Del, are most notable for their inability to take criticism or to incorporate those lessons into their work.
    I forget about this story, can someone enlighten me? I once read CAD and enjoyed it, but it became the same old thing and stopped reading. They have a few amusing things about video games on rare occasion, but not enough to have me add to my reader feed.
    He's banned people, even non-trolls who are actually trying to help him out, for pointing out things like the T-crotches every character has, how everyone slouches, and how they all have the same B^U or B^| face.
  • I'm actually Michael Bay, I've been him all along.
  • edited July 2011
    The very worst webcomics, like Ctrl+Alt+Del, are most notable for their inability to take criticism or to incorporate those lessons into their work.
    Essentially, Tim Buckley, the hilariously egotistic and singularly uncreative author and artist of Ctrl+Alt+Del is almost completely incapable of taking criticism, to the point of banning anyone with a negative word to say from his forums, which basically causes him to walk straight into both the most stupid of writing choices and the most hideous of art mishaps. It took him years and years to listen to the internet about the fact that perhaps making a webcomic out of a library of predrawn bodies, limbs, mouths and eyes is a really shitty, lazy way of doing things, and even now he refuses to listen to any advice he's given. Which is a shame, because his blog shows that he has quite a bit of potential as an artist, if only he's stop being such a douche.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Oh yeah, I remember the T crotches now. Yeah. He sounds kinda crazy.
  • Which is a shame, because his blog shows that he has quite a bit of potential as an artist, if only he's stop being such a douche.
    I think the thing about that is that everyone has potential as an artist (or as most other things), if they'll only try hard and listen to criticism.
  • edited July 2011
    Ctrl-Alt-Del. I know it's cliche to hate on it, but he could be a fairly decent artist, if he had a good writer. Instead, everyone has the same face, terrible body structure, and terribly unfunny dialog. He wants so hard to be exactly what Penny Arcade is now (yes, including the Cons), but he falls short on every mark.
    The Art is LITERALLY Cut and paste. It was shown at a drawing demo at a con that he has folders of differently coloured and shaded body parts, clothes and faces. Also, he made an Animated series, which was vastly unpopular and lost huge amounts of money. And the Crazy Gamecube hate, Newbie hate, Warcraft hate(when even someone who doesn't play WOW, like me, will notice that buckley has obviously never played the game). And when he abused the shit out of a young kid for writing a CAD fanfic for a school project(which wasn't bad, just very basic, give the kid a break), banned him, told the kid he could have sued him and his parents for everything if he had wanted to, and then banned anyone who disagreed with him. Don't forget - email anything but praise of the comic to him, expect an abusive response, if you get one at all. Do anything but praise the comic in the forums? Instant perma-ban. Mention characters that don't appear anymore, like Scott the Linux user or Chef Brian? Instant Perma-ban.

Seriously, the guy is fucking toxic. CAD is terrible, but Buckley himself is worse.
    He's banned people, even non-trolls who are actually trying to help him out, for pointing out things like the T-crotches every character has, how everyone slouches, and how they all have the same B^U or B^| face.
    Mentioning the comic on his forums, He will ban you for literally anything but praising it.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited July 2011
    Goddamn. As a person currently working on starting up a webcomic, this is the sort of thing that gives me occasional flashes of crippling doubt and insecurity.
    Just keep updating and you'll be better than 95% of webcomic artists out there. Including me. I moved to a different town than my writer, and things became difficult. Then she had a baby and I went to law school, and shit fell off the face of the earth. Now I have more important things to do than podcast or draw a silly webcomic. But I still feel guilty, especially since I still get fan mail from the podcast.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Don't forget - email anything but praise of the comic to him, expect an abusive response, if you get one at all. Do anything but praise the comic in the forums? Instant perma-ban. Mention characters that don't appear anymore, like Scott the Linux user or Chef Brian? Instant Perma-ban.
    Wow, what am I doing here trying to get banned over and over again when I could just go there and rack up insane scores. Oh, that's why, it wouldn't be funny there, just sad.
  • Thanks for all the encouragements, everybody. I'm generally pretty positive and confident about the whole thing, but I think every artist has these moments of insecurity. It's a little tough knowing that, probably, no matter how good the comic ends up being, someone's going to be talking shit about me on the internet. C'est la vie.

So, this Tim Buckley guy -- probably a little mentally ill, huh? I'd kinda feel bad hating on him if that's the case.
  • Now when we are giving out our valuable tips of how to succeed in webcomicing, let me add something too. I'd say that important thing for a webcomic maker is that they should try to improve, always. Being good at taking criticism is part of that, but even when you have million fans who all say that your comic is perfect as it is, don't spot there, but try to improve and get better, in your art and in your writing.

This is something I got out of a con panel about webcomics last year. The panelist showed us a example of webcomic which name I don't remember, but he said it is somewhat popular. And it was ugly as hell, not just the art, ugly art I can accept not everyone is great artist, but it was hard to read, because the lettering was so horrible. The panelist said that the comic had been like that forever and the artist wasn't even trying to fix something so obvious.
  • Bahaha, I'd never noticed the T-crotches in CAD (I just thought it was a PA knockoff/uninspired/not funny). They're even still around!
    Warcraft hate(when even someone who doesn't play WOW, like me, will notice that buckley has obviously never played the game). A
    That's interesting, because I remember seeing a bunch of "sillies" by him about Warcraft that strongly implied he was playing. I wonder if he tried it, got hooked, and did an about-face.
  • edited July 2011
    probably a little mentally ill, huh
    There are lots of people who don't respond to criticism well. He's probably just a "my way or the highway" type, who thinks he doesn't need to improve.

At least Fred Gallagher can draw, so MegaTokyo can occasionally be pretty to look at. CAD is both amazingly unfunny and boring from an artistic standpoint. At the very least, you're a far superior artist compared to a lot of webcomic artists (dare I say the vast majority), so you'll be able to nail down a look that people will remember.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Heh. Maybe I should add my own fails at webcomicking.
  • That's interesting, because I remember seeing a bunch of "sillies" by him about Warcraft that strongly implied he was playing. I wonder if he tried it, got hooked, and did an about-face.
    Those at the very same comics that showed - especially to WOW players, apparently, but even to some outsiders to the WOW world - that he didn't play WOW at all.
    At least Fred Gallagher can draw, so MegaTokyo can occasionally be pretty to look at. CAD is both amazingly unfunny and boring from an artistic standpoint. At the very least, you're a far superior artist compared to a lot of webcomic artists (dare I say the vast majority), so you'll be able to nail down a look that people will remember.
    I'd put it easily on the upper levels of most professional comic book artists, in both print and webcomics.
  • Fred's an amazing artist and a shit writer. MegaTokyo was pretty much the shit when Largo was doing most of the writing and Fred just worked on the drawing.
  • I think Mistakes of Youth could be very worthy for Worst Webcomic, especially among the Geeknights Community. The only thing close to a positive I can say about it, is that the art while it can be in viewed in a super stylized anime form, is rather inconsistent. Other than that, it's much in that Ctrl+Alt+Del style of a total asshole (and in this case, also pretty much a pedo) with a girl who nags, but strangely tolerates him. But this is also mixed with bizzaro, super-analytical stories about the insanity of anime and the anime industry. Combine that, with the fact that every attempt for humor here is just reference to a new anime at the time each webcomic was written.
  • I think Mistakes of Youth could be very worthy for Worst Webcomic, especially among the Geeknights Community. The only thing close to a positive I can say about it, is that the art while it can be in viewed in a super stylized anime form, is rather inconsistent. Other than that, it's much in that Ctrl+Alt+Del style of a total asshole (and in this case, also pretty much a pedo) with a girl who nags, but strangely tolerates him. But this is also mixed with bizzaro, super-analytical stories about the insanity of anime and the anime industry. Combine that, with the fact that every attempt for humor here is just reference to a new anime at the time each webcomic was written.
    I have a hate/love relationship with that webcomic. The Shinbo comics are pretty funny in a disturbing horrifying way.
  • edited July 2011
    Oh come on, you guys aren't even trying.

Also
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Lazy doesn't mean worst :-p
  • edited July 2011
    someone's going to be talking shit about me on the internet. C'est la vie.
    If you want I can talk shit about you now, ON THE INTERNET.
    I think Mistakes of Youth could be very worthy for Worst Webcomic
    Oh fuck no. That comic is actually funny every once in a while. And hating on the art is just agreeing with the artist who knows he's shit. And yes, he likes his lolis, that makes it all the more hilarious.
    Oh come on, you guys aren't even trying.
    Now these are contenders for worst comic.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Pretty sure Powerup Comics is stealth parody.
  • Pretty sure Powerup Comics is stealth parody.
    Ahahaha. That reminds me of the time I made up a fake punk band, recorded some fake songs, made a fake website, and trolled the shit out of my local punk scene.
  • Oh come on, you guys aren't even trying.
    Kit 'n Kay Boodle. Iffy art at best, and Literally every problem is solved by yiffing. NSFW.

Gamer Chicks. Basically ""Look at me I'm a GIRL with BREASTS who likes to PLAY VIDEOGAMES and I DON'T NEED YOUR ATTENTION except really I DO PAY ATTENTION TO ME". Every joke and plot is essentially "I went to the video game store to buy video games but all the guys were staring at her giant boobs because she is a woman who likes to play video games and every guy is fantasizing about her."

Sarah Zero - I've read about 30 of them. I still have no idea what the fuck is meant to be going on.

And Just to make the animators of the forums cry, the CAD animated series season 2 trailer.