This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Burning Wheel?

Comments

• BW is far too crunchy for my tastes and abilities but it spawned Mouse Guard which is my 'go to' hack system.
    Which is also getting itself a fancy boxed set edition with minis and everything. Mr. Crane has got a lot going on.
  • BW is far too crunchy for my tastes and abilities but it spawned Mouse Guard which is my 'go to' hack system.
    Which is also getting itself a fancy boxed set edition with minis and everything. Mr. Crane has got a lot going on.
    Word on the street is that the MG box set is dead. Which is a crying shame.
  • edited June 2011
    Word on the street is that the MG box set is dead. Which is a crying shame.
    What? Who says? I saw pictures of the proof and such!

http://twitter.com/#!/Burning_Luke/status/76823654339592192
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • The 'street' being Danny at The Compleat Strategist. This info came to me about a month ago. What was the date on that tweet?
  • edited June 2011
    The 'street' being Danny at The Compleat Strategist. This info came to me about a month ago. What was the date on that tweet?
    You can look at it yourself, but it was 11 days ago. I've learned long ago not to trust geek retailers. All but a few great ones are surprisingly misinformed or uninformed despite the fact that geekery is their job. My hypothesis is that because they are standing behind a sales counter or stocking shelves all day, they aren't reading blogs and forums and Twitter like office workers.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I've learned long ago not to trust geek retailers. All but a few great ones are surprisingly misinformed or uninformed despite the fact that geekery is their job.
    I'm always amazed at this. It's like game/comic store owners just make stuff up and have never heard of Google.
  • edited June 2011
    In Danny's defense he does have a weekly meeting with Luke and Jared. So maybe something changed recently. Or maybe Luke was really pessimistic a month ago!

But... good news regardless!
    Post edited by littleidiot on
  • Glad I was wrong because the Mouse Guard Box Set looks awesome.
  • Observation is the skill used to spot the concealed or hidden characters. Test this skill in versus tests against Inconspicuous, Stealthy, Slight of Hand or Trapper. Note: Observation is only used in these circumstances. Do not use it for standard Perception tests—to spot weakness in armor, to notice details of a flag or to look for an escape tunnel.
  • Bah. You're right.

But that's not going to change how I run Observation.

Also, those examples are interesting, because I can think of other, more appropriate skills to test in each of those circumstances.
  • so all the old Burning Wheel books are 20% off and I'm thinking about getting the Adventure, Monster and Magic Burners.

should I give any of these a pass?
  • edited June 2011
    so all the old Burning Wheel books are 20% off and I'm thinking about getting the Adventure, Monster and Magic Burners.

Just wait, the new books will be 20% off when Burning wheel Platinum edition comes out.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • so all the old Burning Wheel books are 20% off and I'm thinking about getting the Adventure, Monster and Magic Burners.

Get the Adventure Burner if nothing else.
  • If you're completely new to Burning Wheel, then I agree with Apreche: Get the Adventure Burner.
  • Hell, even if you're not new to BW, the Adventure Burner is still nice.
  • Hell, even if you're not new to BW, the Adventure Burner is still nice.
    Even if you play other RPGs the Adventure Burner is still win.
  • Even if you don't play any RPG's at all, the Adventure Burner is awesome.
  • "Even if you can't read..."
  • The good news is that I bought the books.

The bad news is that there is a general postal strike in Canada as of today...

Hopefully I'll get them sometime before September...
  • BW Gold just got put up for preorders. 50 per day added at noon (EDT) each day this week. Server is being hamered, but I think I got a copy...
  • edited July 2011
    I am in the process of ordering mine. The site is a bit slow (for obvious reasons).

EDIT:
    GAH! I started processing my order at noon precisely. Because the site stalled out twice and checkout made me loop through twice, by the time it finished it said that the pre-order was out of stock. I can't order from work, so essentially, my chances at the pre-order are shot. Again, GAH!
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited July 2011
    I just finished placing my order.

EDIT: Getting a pre-order T-shirt too.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Can someone with the ability to place the order tomorrow order one for me and I will pay you back?
  • Annnnnd they're out!!!

Looks like I'll be trying that again tomorrow.
  • edited July 2011
    Annnnnd they're out!!!

Wyatt, if you order two I will pay you back and owe you a favor. Pretty please?
  • Can someone with the ability to place the order tomorrow order one for me and I will pay you back?
    Can Adam do that, or is he working at this time?

In any event, I got one successfully, so I can always relate what has changed while we wait for the book to come out fully in print. Also, you can borrow it and stuff.

After I'm done with it.
  • Annnnnd they're out!!!

Wyatt, if you order two, I will pay you back and owe you a favor. Pretty please?
    I'll give it shot. I'm going to see if John, Justin and Heath want me to get them copies too.
  • I failed because the web site kept erroring. They don't let you order two. I'm pretty sure it's a pre-order limit of one each.
  • edited July 2011
    Can someone with the ability to place the order tomorrow order one for me and I will pay you back?
    Can Adam do that, or is he working at this time?

In any event, I got one successfully, so I can always relate what has changed while we wait for the book to come out fully in print. Also, you can borrow it and stuff.

After I'm done with it.
    No, he can't. He is working. Also, I want my own copy. If you could order one for me tomorrow, I will pay you back. If they only let you order one, I trust you with my information if you are willing to order it for me. Furthermore, I will owe you a favor.
  • Annnnnd they're out!!!

Wyatt, if you order two, I will pay you back and owe you a favor. Pretty please?
    I'll give it shot. I'm going to see if John, Justin and Heath want me to get them copies too.
    If they only let you order one, though I could give you my information and you can order it Wednesday for me.

Thanks a million Wyatt!!!