This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Team Fortress 2

Comments

• the geeknights IRC?
    There is no FRC IRC server, unless Apreche lost his mind and went back on his opinion.
    Unofficial.
    Latest patch made Pyro suck!
    What now? Nothing in the update list says anything about the Pyro or auto-reload.
    Pyro himself wasn't affected, but he's a character where you use your shotgun not like bam-bam-bam, but so often that you don't want to reload between every shot. It's a minor change, someone probably just forgot to put it in the memo.
  • Pyro himself wasn't affected, but he's a character where you use your shotgun not like bam-bam-bam, but so often that you don't want to reload between every shot. It's a minor change, someone probably just forgot to put it in the memo.
    You can switch autoreload off from the options.
  • I know, but it used to be perfectly timed with my knowing-if-enemy-is-dead rhythm
  • I never understood why you would put auto-reload on, at best it's going to only get in the way and get you killed some of the time.
  • I didn't realize I had to completely enclose it, or that stuff couldn't be inside of giant boxes, rather than 6 walls.

Now I have spawns for both teams, and a generic player-spawn inside of the only room I have, but when I try and run the level, I still spawn beneath the map. 0,0,0 should be inside of it. Any idea as to why?
    Not a clue, I haven't worked with TF2 in particular. You might still have a player entity still at the origin.
  • a player entity? Are there any others aside from info_player_start and info_team_start?
  • edited July 2011
    I never understood why you would put auto-reload on, at best it's going to only get in the way and get you killed some of the time.
    I have a trick for that - any weapon where I can fire while loading(shotguns, rocket launchers, so on) I'll fire till I've got one or two rounds left, and that way, even if it's reloading, I can still fight back.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Unofficial.
    That's the Freenode IRC server network. That's not a FRC IRC server, just a channel on someone else's servers.
    I know, but it used to be perfectly timed with my knowing-if-enemy-is-dead rhythm
    I've tried it, and there's been no change for me.
  • a player entity? Are there any others aside from info_player_start and info_team_start?
    Not that I know of, can you send me your level file? I can take a look at it.
  • edited July 2011
    Sure. Keep in mind everything in this is a result of me trying to figure out how Hammer works and isn't representative of my map idea.
    http://streamdesu.com/Aria/ship.vmf

If I could import models from elsewhere and place game-specific stuff using hammer that would help alot. I tried with the Google Sketchup conversion thingie, but that requires so many extra clicks per click for it to be importable that it's not really useable.
    Post edited by Aria on
  • edited July 2011
    Sure. Keep in mind everything in this is a result of me trying to figure out how Hammer works and isn't representative of my map idea.
    http://streamdesu.com/Aria/ship.vmf

If I could import models from elsewhere and place game-specific stuff using hammer that would help alot. I tried with the Google Sketchup conversion thingie, but that requires so many extra clicks per click for it to be importable that it's not really useable.
    Alright when it loads up it says your spawn points are not clear I would suspect this is because you tied the func_spawnroom entity to the floor and walls. I'll send back a revised draft for you using Mediafire.

Alright, Use a light entity instead of a env_sun entity, env_sun only provides light if you add skybox textures. Spawns are fine if you remove the strange fun_spawnroom brushes. I also suggest getting id of the Block you've placed underneath the map, as it is unnecessary.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • I also suggest getting rid of the Block you've placed underneath the map, as it is unnecessary.
    Oh, well, I wanted to test if I would fall onto it or through it. Oh btw, does the map actually have to be built as it appears, or can I have doors that leave to different places, so I can build the outside and insides separate? And I know there's a way to make players take damage at certain parts of the level, but do you think this element would be possible to make:
    The door out of the spawn room gets shot forward till it smashes against the wall, killing people if they're standing there. Then closes up automatically. Oh, oh, and also, is it possible to have wind? So it blows you backwards?
  • Oh, well, I wanted to test if I would fall onto it or through it. Oh btw, does the map actually have to be built as it appears, or can I have doors that leave to different places, so I can build the outside and insides separate? And I know there's a way to make players take damage at certain parts of the level, but do you think this element would be possible to make:
    The door out of the spawn room gets shot forward till it smashes against the wall, killing people if they're standing there. Then closes up automatically. Oh, oh, and also, is it possible to have wind? So it blows you backwards?
    Alright, as far as the game is concerned there is no outside, everything is contained inside a rather complex box. You can make things look like they are outside by using skybox textures where you want there to be sky visible. The apparatus you describe is strange but I think with a few changes it is perfectly doable. You can get the level to apply a constant force to you in any direction.
  • Oh, well, I wanted to test if I would fall onto it or through it. Oh btw, does the map actually have to be built as it appears, or can I have doors that leave to different places, so I can build the outside and insides separate?
    If you're saying what I think you're saying then yes, I think it would be technically possible to teleport the player as soon as he passes through a doorway into a building. In a single player level it can work really well, and takes the form of a loading screen. In multiplayer, on the other hand, it's really not a good idea. You just have to make clever use of level geometry if you've got a wonky interior that doesn't look good from the outside. I recommend studying some basic architecture.

That is if you're saying what I think you're saying. The question is kind of unclear.
    And I know there's a way to make players take damage at certain parts of the level, but do you think this element would be possible to make:
    The door out of the spawn room gets shot forward till it smashes against the wall, killing people if they're standing there.
    I haven't had the urge to make something like that since my HL1 days. It's almost definitely possible, but I can't remember the entity type. In GoldSrc you could use a weird func_door, but that's probably not the right way anymore.
    Oh, oh, and also, is it possible to have wind? So it blows you backwards?
    Again, you cause nostalgia, but I don't know if it works the same in Source. See if you can tie a brush to a func_push or a func_conveyor entity.
  • Thank you! You've motivated me some =3 Hey, I know you can import models as props, but can I import models that aren't in the game? And if so, anything I'll have to do before compiling the model? And --sorry I'm asking all these questions rather than just trying stuff, but I kinda wanna know what's possible before I start planing it out-- can I have different gravity in different parts of the map?
    Finally, can I have a (large) portion of the map rotate around the other portion of the map? Would size matter in that case? Can I do reflection? I haven't seen any of the official maps do it, but other Source games do.

And see if this work model/order makes any sense
    1 Concept sketches
    2 concept 3D model
    3 texture my concept model
    4 plan out the actual gameplay elements and draw a map of the interior corridor layout
    5 start recreating it inside Hammer
    6 playtest
    7 record sounds, add all the less important textures and arrows and such, resize the others
    8 playtest more
    9 fix shit
    10 masturbate to my marvelous new map
  • edited July 2011
    Played a ton of spy today on Pipeline, which is a great map for spying it up on all three stages. The Dead Ringer is pretty awesome as a cloak. You have to be careful how to apply it, but it is insane because enemies often simply don't see through it (particularly if you let them shoot you once or twice so it isn't obvious that the very first hit on you kills you). It is particularly devious on public servers, where there is usually less communication between teams (though I routinely warn people of spies, the equipment they have, or sentry positions). I dominated the leaderboard on the server, but that is quite easy as a spy because backstabs give you two points per kill.

P.S.: This here is a really good Dead Ringer tutorial video, if anybody hasn't seen the cloak in action yet.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • The Frontier Justice/Gunslinger combo is really, REALLY fun. I don't like how you can't heal the mini-sentry when it's placed, but the fact that it costs only 100 metal really makes it versatile. Because the sentry is expendable, it does allow the engineer himself to become a sneaky damage character.
  • I didn't know there was a spy class. I'll have to try that sometime.
  • The deadringer is bullshit.
  • The deadringer causes my death regularly, so it is obviously overpowered and unfair.
  • The deadringer is bullshit.
  • The deadringer is a great item, which changes how it is possible to play the spy class (and making it far more active and interesting to play.)
  • It essentially gives the player multiple lives. How many times do I have to headshot you for you to die?
  • It doesn't give them lives. They still take damage. The same damage. Does a message come up saying they are dead? No, just the model looks like it dies. Keep firing until the it either says they are dead, or for another 8 seconds.

Anyone going to be on the server in the next hour or so?
  • It doesn't give them lives. They still take damage. The same damage. Does a message come up saying they are dead? No, just the model looks like it dies. Keep firing until the it either says they are dead, or for another 8 seconds.

Anyone going to be on the server in the next hour or so?
    A message comes up when they fake death die on their would-be killers screen, so step off. Our team will still be practicing TF2 every day around 4:00 PM, which was 21 minutes ago.
  • Actually, a message DOES pop up. Hell, it'll even pop up fake achievements.