This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070620 - Neon Genesis Evangelion

RymRym
edited June 2007 in Anime
Tonight on GeekNights, despite our better judgement, we review Neon Genesis Evangelion. In the news, Speed Racer and Bokurano.
Scott’s Thing - Shazai

Rym’s Thing - Balls of Steel

Comments

• You fuckers.
    Now I need to watch Eva again.
  • edited June 2007

You fuckers.
    Now I need to watch Eva again.

What he said....more like break out the last two Platinum Edition DVDs that I didn't watch since THE WEEK OR TWO AFTER IT WAS RELEASED.

Also, a stupid-ass question. Has anyone lambasted you two (or anyone for that matter) for pronouncing Evangelion with a soft "G" like Scott did in the intro, rather then a hard "G"? I know that happened to me at least twice. I held onto the fact that it's based off the word Evangel, but the others said "the Japanese version said it that way" (for lack of a better word or phrase). One of them was an uber-purist from high school.
    Post edited by omegafinal on
  • Well, I wasn't sold until Rym admitted he CRIED. I'm down with that. I'll be done by the next show. :)

Can't wait. I've been meaning to watch this for ages.
  • God, now I need to watch it too. Except that's awesome because a few of my friends and I want to start a regular anime watching thing. Not a club, just a thing. I was just looking at the horribly expensive Australian box set today ($110 D:) and thinking about picking it up. It's been a long time since I saw it on free-to-air TV (as in, I was in primary school then :|). Should be interesting to watch again now that I'm older and will hopefully "get" more of it!

I might see about picking up the American release if it's as good and cheap as you say it is. I've got Escaflowne on the way as well - on your recommendation. It better be good! I'll eventually pick up Utena and Trigun as well, once the aforementioned friends and I make our way through the other stuff.
  • OMG I can't wait to get to this episode. I just rewatched Eva a month ago, so it's pretty fresh in my mind!

@omegafinal: I prefer it with the soft G as well, because it should be ev angel ion. It really should. I couldn't agree with you any more.

@Scott: The Balls of Steel link above is null. I'm hoping it's the oldschool game that we're talking about, because I loved that thing. I'm sure it's available over at the Underdogs....

• @Scott: The Balls of Steel link above is null. I'm hoping it's the oldschool game that we're talking about, because I loved that thing. I'm sure it's available over at the Underdogs....
    Sorry, it's something different.
  • edited June 2007
    I am with Conrad on this one, and really I wouldn't spend more than $40 on this show. While I think everyone should watch it at some time or another, I suggest renting it: it's really not worth your money in my opinion, or at least exorbitant amounts of it.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I with Conrad on this one, and really I wouldn't spend more than $40 on this show. While I think everyone should watch it at some time or another I suggest renting it, really not worth your money in my opinion, or at least exorbitant amounts.
    I disagree completely. This is one of the few anime I have paid to own, and it's worth watching time and again. There is a ton of symbolism and near-subliminal imagery to catch on the second, third, fourth, and fifth viewings, and Eva has a mix of episodic and overarching story that keeps me coming back; I can watch it all in one sitting or just pick up episode 5 and stick in the DVD player. The mere fact that so much in this one is open to interpretation makes it a great series for repeated watches. I've seen it five times now, and I know I'll watch it again before the year's out. It's one that I want to have physically close at hand.
  • Evagelion is responsible for the "deep" "surreal" ending that a lot of Japanese cartoons love to do.

For all of the mixed feelings for I have for this show, Unit 1 is the business.
  • edited June 2007
    Evagelion is responsible for the "deep" "surreal" ending that a lot of Japanese cartoons love to do.
    No, no it's not. This has been a trend in anime for many years and shows up in tons of series before Eva, to say that it is responsible for this trend is just plain incorrect. To say that it started the trend of the whiny main character, that would be correct.
    I disagree completely. This is one of the few anime I have paid to own, and it's worth watching time and again. There is a ton of symbolism and near-subliminal imagery to catch on the second, third, fourth, and fifth viewings, and Eva has a mix of episodic and overarching story that keeps me coming back; I can watch it all in one sitting or just pick up episode 5 and stick in the DVD player. The mere fact that so much in this one is open to interpretation makes it a great series for repeated watches. I've seen it five times now, and I know I'll watch it again before the year's out. It's one that I want to have physically close at hand.
    This is open to interpretation. Personally after reading alot of interviews with Anno and reading alot of fansites (there was this really good one that I can't remember off the top of my head), I have determined that most of the "interpretations" of Eva are bullshit and not what was intended, but it's like philosophy majors people will still do it just because. Personally I'm not that kind of person. If I want an anime that is worth money and has rewatch-ability and I find new things in every time I watch it's I'll pick up Perfect Blue or one of Satoshi Kon's works, Eva isn't even on my list. Don't get me wrong like I said, every anime fan should watch it once, for me twice is the most, but that's just me.
    Post edited by Corbin on
  • NOOOOOO!!! Anything else but EVA.
  • My discussion about eva will come a few post after this:
    Scott, I really enjoy Macross, but Macross: Do you Remember Love? is awesome but its own merits. Can you tell me waht parts from the movie do you not enjoy?
  • My discussion about eva will come a few post after this:

Scott, I really enjoy Macross, but Macross: Do you Remember Love? is awesome but its own merits. Can you tell me waht parts from the movie do you not enjoy?
    It's not so much that there are parts in the movie I do not enjoy. It's what's not in the movie that makes me not enjoy it. Basically, I really just don't like compilation movies. If you take a 26+ episode story and try to compress it into under two hours, it just won't be the same. In some cases, like Galaxy Express 999, it works. In other cases, like Gundam Seed compliations, it doesn't work. Basically, if I watch a compilation movie for a show I have not seen, I can enjoy it. If I watch a compilation movie for a show I've seen already, I will not enjoy it. This is the same reason that the Akira movie, no matter how great it is, is less enjoyable for people who have read the manga.
  • Such nostalgia. I really should re-watch this series and finally watch "The End of Eva.." But man, I really enjoy how you guys describe the new episode 25 & 26. I couldn't stop laughing.

I know it wasn't as popular, but I would love to hear you guys go in-depth about Escaflowne. I'm such a fan-girl for this series, and when you guys had the episode about "Getting into Anime", pretty much all the anime you guys talked about, I either own, or are among my favorites. When you mentioned Escaflowne, I got really excited because I couldn't agree with you guys more about this series.
  • I would love to hear you guys go in-depth about Escaflowne.

Escaflowne, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, and Trigun are easily and handily my top four.  I hold them in equal esteem with the exception of Bebop, which I hold slightly higher.
  • Does the Platinum Pack have the two alternate episodes? Or do they replace the last two? Or... Just wondering, since I suddenly have the urge to watch it, having never seen it.
  • Having listened to this episode, I'm actually considering breaking my policy of watching anime only once and whipping out my old Eva box set.
  • Does the Platinum Pack have the two alternate episodes? Or do they replace the last two? Or... Just wondering, since I suddenly have the urge to watch it, having never seen it.

Simple answer, nope. They are the original TV episodes.
  • Having listened to this episode, I'm actually considering breaking my policy of watching anime only once and whipping out my old Eva box set.
    Why do you have a box set if you only watch anime once? Aren't those two ideas mutually exclusive?
  • I got it as a gift. It's the old one where they put a 12+ rating on it for some reason.
  • Oh, I should mention that if anyone is going to try to watch this show through NetFlix, you can't get disc 6. I've been trying for months, and they just don't have it. They've got all the other discs, but I don't know what the deal is with 6. So you'll have to try to hunt it down on your own.
  • edited June 2007
    I would love to hear you guys go in-depth about Escaflowne.
    Escaflowne, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, and Trigun are easily and handily my top four. I hold them in equal esteem with the exception of Bebop, which I hold slightly higher.
    Holy shit! Those anime kick so much ass it's not even funny. Do you think there is any fact in a Trigun movie?

WIP: Remember to click the HTML radio button above the submit post button.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Oh, I should mention that if anyone is going to try to watch this show through NetFlix, you can't get disc 6. I've been trying for months, and they just don't have it. They've got all the other discs, but I don't know what the deal is with 6. So you'll have to try to hunt it down on your own.
    There are quite a few last discs missing from their anime serieses.
  • Do you think there is any fact in a Trigun movie?
    I give a .0000001% chance of there ever being a Trigun movie.
  • I give a .0000001% chance of there ever being a Trigun movie.
    Fool!  By EVA logic, that's a slam dunk!
  • His synch ratio has risen to .0000001!!!!
  • I know it isn’t about the robots, but I would have liked to have seen more of the black American evagelion unit kicking angel butt. Also, Toji is an angry, troubled person (in a more violent way than the other kids at least) Putting him in the cockpit is just asking for some berserker carnage, and I kind of wish we could have seen more of that.

My favorite part of Eva was the conspiracy stuff. As such, the director's cut on those last few episodes were so much better for my viewing experience than originals. I couldn't agree more with the recommendation to watch those episodes.
  • Another thing to know about Evangelion. Like other shows, I believe it was originally planned to have more episodes. In deciding to keep it at 26, many things were cut or squished.
  • That seems like it's almost always a good idea. There's the legendary story about Jaws, and how Spielberg couldn't get the mechanical shark to work. The result was more suspense and imagination, which are far scarier than anything you can actually show on the screen. If there's one thing entertainers need to learn, it's the power of restraint.
  • That seems like it's almost always a good idea. There's the legendary story about Jaws, and how Spielberg couldn't get the mechanical shark to work. The result was more suspense and imagination, which are far scarier than anything you can actually show on the screen. If there's one thing entertainers need to learn, it's the power of restraint.
    There is an old saying, "It is more tantalizing to conceal than it is to reveal."