This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What is the best podcast aggregator?

2»

Comments

• edited July 2011
    I use WINAMP.
    Hipster?
    Nah, it's just has a media library that's worth a shit. I'm not installing iTunes, Windows Media Player doesn't handle operands well, and Foobar2000, well, FUCK foobar2000.
    I thought you were kidding. That is old school. To be fair, I use VLC which really doesn't have all the neat features and tools. It just has playlists which have to be loaded off the HD. Oh, and it can play anything.
    Winamp5 isn't old school...

Oh, and fuck yeah VLC. Here's how I play media:

Is it audio or video?

Audio: Is it longer than 10 seconds?
    Yes: WINAMP, FUCKYEAH!
    No: MPlayer, just because nothing else seems to handle it well...

Video: Is it a WMV?
    Yes: *Sigh* fucking Windows Media Player
    No: VLC, FUCKYEAH!
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited July 2011
    For me, it's
    Audio: foobar2000
    Video: MPC-HC (+CCCP)
    Both of them play absolutely everything in their respective categories.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I second everything that Sonic just said.
  • edited July 2011
    Edited for Bryan's personal taste:
    Here's how I play media:

Is it audio or video?

Is it audio with any duration:
    Yes: VLC

Yes: VLC, unless it is WMV9 or WMV10 (whichever is the newest one, it isn't quite supported yet); if too new WMV, I guess I don't watch it.
    No: VLC, FUCKYEAH!

Pictures:
    Is it just one?
    Yes: Linux Document Viewer
    No: Linux Document Viewer, in Slideshow mode. VLC can *almost* do slideshows, but it clips really badly between images.
    It should be noted that the Linux world doesn't have a lot of great options for media players. I only use Windows for newer video games and Steam. It isn't worth firing up into Windows just to view a WMV.
    Post edited by Byron on
  • edited July 2011
    Oh, and it can play anything.
    Only because they gave up on part of their own work and went to the FFMpeg devs (aka the mplayer devs) and asked if they could use their code. Which they could, since it's open source. It still fails at everything else though. Not to mention, it has all this clutter surrounding the video, like so many other players. Fuck off with that shit, I want to watch a video, not your horrible space waste.
    Yes: *Sigh* fucking Windows Media Player
    Just use Mplayer, or the CCCP. Problem solved.
    It should be noted that the Linux world doesn't have a lot of great options for media players.
    There's the popular option (VLC) and the good option (mplayer, optionally with whatever front end you want to look at instead of the video). Outside of that you don't really need anything, though there's still the Gstreamer stuff.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • @MAtt

Re: Podcasts at work

Podcasts are good and all to get through the day, but you should step up to Audio Books at some point. Vast, vast well of listenings. I always have one locked and loaded in the pod.