This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bad day for Norway...

Comments

• That's another thing I've noticed is that it seems that regardless of the degree of smartness or evil, terrorists rarely have the goal of maximizing destruction.
    It doesn't make a ton of sense to make that your goal anyhow.

1) If your goal is to incite terror, you need to leave behind people to be afraid.

2) If your crimes are too large, they leave the realm of believability, and people can actually deal with those emotions much more readily.

In order for terrorism to actually inspire terror, you have to make survivors feel as though they are always in a very real kind of danger.

Being scared of a dragon is a no-brainer; it's a fucking dragon! But people can quash that fear because there just aren't that many dragons. Making somebody afraid of kobolds - that is masterful terrorism.
  • edited July 2011
    It still pissed me off that Fox was reporting that it was Islamic Terrorists. From when I heard the news of the car bomb, I thought, I bet this is a neo-nazi or skinhead nationalist of some sort, and I was kind of right. I really didn't expect this many casualties, though. It's so sad.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • It still pissed me off that Fox was reporting that it was Islamic Terrorists.
    Yes, and now they're not reporting that he was a Christian terrorist. Religious affiliation is only important when it's not the religion we like.
  • It still pissed me off that Fox was reporting that it was Islamic Terrorists.
    Yes, and now they're not reporting that he was a Christian terrorist. Religious affiliation is only important when it's not the religion we like.
  • "No one believing in Jesus commits mass murder."

Hahahahahaha. CRUSADES, bitch.

Noone believing in jesus knows history.

Not only that, this guy was using the Crusades as a metaphor for what he was doing! He had "code names" based on the Knights Templar and stuff. He also said that he would like to meet the Pope.

Not only that, this guy was using the Crusades as a metaphor for what he was doing! He had "code names" based on the Knights Templar and stuff. He also said that he would like to meet the Pope.

Spanish Inquisition Video
    Oh shits, I wasn't expecting that.

Spanish Inquisition Video
    Oh shits, I wasn't expecting that.
    I wasn't either. I was expecting this, though:
  • If this same guy had done this same thing in the US, attacking say the Democratic political party somehow (for the cause of religion), I bet Papa Bear wouldn't be so quick to judge harshly. I only say this because he's one fucked up motherfucker.

He's like the most famous troll in the US. And people keep feeding him.
    Yeah, he's a fake Scotsman.
  • Oh shits, I wasn't expecting that.
    No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition.
  • that'sthejoke.jpg

So, tonight I met a young guy who has been to the same youth camp in Norway a few year in a row, and would have been there this year if not for his trip to Germany.
  • That's always strange, those "near miss" stories, the "I could have been on that airplane" stories. How was he feeling about it (other than being sad)?
  • I think it is a safe bet he had a lot of friends he's made in the past that did go. They might not have nearly missed. :(
  • edited August 2011
    Thought I would add this story in here. It is not surprising US news has not covered this at all based on how badly this whole incident was covered here.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • Thought I would add this story in here. It is not surprising US news has not covered this at all based on how badly this whole incident was covered here.
    Yay for heroic lesbians! They braved gunfire and saved 40 people from the killer!
    I agree with you that the US news needs to hail them as heroes. Can you imagine them praising a married lesbian couple, though?
  • Thought I would add this story in here. It is not surprising US news has not covered this at all based on how badly this whole incident was covered here.
    Huffington Post, International Business times. The fucking Atlantic Wire had the story two days before buzzfeed, or most of the blogs complaining it has no US or Western media coverage. In fact, I'd wager Buzzfeed's listed source picked it up from Atlantic wire, as a doubt the writer of an American LGBT rights blog both speaks finnish, and was scouring the news about Norway to find LGBT stories, especially considering that they only started speaking about it AFTER Atlantic Wire picked up the story.

Let me pose you a more likely idea than the "Anti-LGBT conspiracy" idea that seems to be on the lips of every blogger breathlessly re-writing other people's reportage on the matter - That the media didn't find out about these people till later on. A smaller source or two get a hold of the story, look around for mainstream ink on the issue, find no mainstream media reporting on the story - and assume malicious intent, where there is none.
  • I have a fundamental problem with the story: The fact that they are a lesbian couple has nothing to do with their heroic actions. It's not as though they saved 40 people through the power of girl-on-girl sex. Imagine if the headline had been "Black men save 40." Sexual identity has NOTHING to do with why these people did what they did. It's a blatantly sensational angle.
  • It's not as though they saved 40 people through the power of girl-on-girl sex.
    Somewhere, Frank Miller just had an idea for a new comic.
  • edited August 2011
    I have a fundamental problem with the story: The fact that they are a lesbian couple has nothing to do with their heroic actions. It's not as though they saved 40 people through the power of girl-on-girl sex. Imagine if the headline had been "Black men save 40." Sexual identity has NOTHING to do with why these people did what they did. It's a blatantly sensational angle.
    Agreed. Being gay does not give you a magical Leap-at-armed-gunmen sense, the fact is they are Heroic people who knew there was a danger, went "Fuck it" and went to work anyway. What they do in the bedroom is utterly, utterly irrelevant.
    Somewhere, Frank Miller just had an idea for a new comic.
    LESBIAN WHORES.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2011
    I have a fundamental problem with the story: The fact that they are a lesbian couple has nothing to do with their heroic actions. It's not as though they saved 40 people through the power of girl-on-girl sex. Imagine if the headline had been "Black men save 40." Sexual identity has NOTHING to do with why these people did what they did. It's a blatantly sensational angle.
    I agree, but I feel like the American media (such as FOX News) would be giving them more attention if it did not go against their narrative of Gay People=Bad. It is similar to situations in the past where an African American did something heroic and the media ignored them in favor of their white counterparts because of racism.
  • While I agree in a logical sense, in practicality, the gay community could really have used the PR boost to get the message across that they're real compassionate people and the media could have used it to draw the attention away from the murderer and put a positive spin on things. "Two people rescue 40 teenagers from mass island shooting in boat." is still a strong story.
  • Yeah. We're not at the point yet where gay people are just thought of as "people" before anything else in American media. Failing to mention it would therefore be sweeping it under the rug, even if it was done out of a progressive sense that these people's private lives don't enter into their heroic actions.
  • Yeah. We're not at the point yet where gay people are just thought of as "people" before anything else in American media. Failing to mention it would therefore be sweeping it under the rug, even if it was done out of a progressive sense that these people's private lives don't enter into their heroic actions.
    So your solution is to exploit people for their sexuality because it's expected? Excluding irrelevant information from a story isn't "sweeping it under the rug;" it's good journalism.
  • No, but challenging negative public perception of homosexuality with counterexamples will do far more good than harm.
  • edited August 2011
    So your solution is to exploit people for their sexuality because it's expected? Excluding irrelevant information from a story isn't "sweeping it under the rug;" it's good journalism.
    Someday people will be race blind and gender blind. Today is not that day. Since people are going to focus on it anyway, why not have good, inspiring examples along with the bad?
  • Someday people will be race blind and gender blind.
    People will always be bigots, unless we apply science to them. But then they won't be people.
  • Eventually the advantages of being science instead of being people will be so great that all people will become science, and then humanity -- or rather that which was humanity -- will win.