This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mutants and Masterminds

So my friends and I started our campaign tonight. It went really well! We are RPing in the Marvel Universe. Well this was our teams first meet and greet, so The Avengers put us in a danger room to test our skills. We worked very well together as a team. We spilt up and divided tasks. Some worked on evacuating a village, another protected us while we evacuated, and some worked on fighting the big baddie that was threatening the village. we had to end it before the finale of the battle, but still or GM was surprised and impressed at some of the actions we took and actually had to rewrite some of the scenario on the fly.

On our team we have a crazy guy who is a jerk in a symbiote suit, an alien who mimics Namor's powers, a super soldier, a person who is a tech savant, a guy who is basically a water controller, and me! I have tactile telekinesis and slight telepathic powers.

EDIT:

It has come to my attention that some may think this thread may just be about my own personal M&M game. I realise that because of my failure to mention that this thread should also include ALL M&M discussions this can be confusing to some. So please, let it be known that this thread should most definitely include all M&M thoughts, ideas, questions and even your own game updates. Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Soooo... is this supposed to be a general thread, in which case pose something for us to jump off from, or is this just going to be a log of your group's Mutant and Masterminds' tomfoolery?
  • edited August 2011
    I put it in the rpg section. I was just talking about my game of M&M.; Anyone else can post anything they want about M&M.; They can ask questions about the game mechanics or post something fun they may have done in a game of their own.
    Soooo... is this supposed to be a general thread, in which case pose something for us to jump off from, or is this just going to be a log of your group's Mutant and Masterminds' tomfoolery?
    How do you want me to pose something for you to jump off from?
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • How do you want me to pose something for you to jump off from?
    You did in your previous paragraph. The opening post made it look like you were just fishing for the regular "That's cool." replies, which are stupid. And thus against the ruuuurruuuus.
  • I think there's a lot of potential discussion here. For instance:

I'm really happy for you, and I'ma let you finish, but did you know the same designer (Steve Kenson) recently did another superhero RPG, Icons, which has roleplaying mechanics and combats/character creation that don't take forever? It's pretty good.
  • edited August 2011
    I apologize for not saying that this thread should be used for all M&M related discussions, thoughts, ideas, questions, personal game updates and the like in the opening post. I will no longer assume that the members of the forum can infer from the title of the thread what the thread is about. This was my fault and a mistake I will strive to avoid in the future. I now know if I wanted to make a thread about just my M&M game I should title the thread "My Mutant and Masterminds Game". I also now know that it against the rules. However that was not my intentions with this thread. I thank you for your input and advice about clarifying the purpose of this thread.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • I'm really happy for you, and I'ma let you finish, but did you know the same designer (Steve Kenson) recently did another superhero RPG, Icons, which has roleplaying mechanics and combats/character creation that don't take forever? It's pretty good.
    My friends and I are investigating the potential of using Burning Wheel to run a superhero game.
  • I now know if I wanted to make a thread about just my M&M; game I should title the thread "My Mutant and Masterminds Game".
    A "Awesome Roleplaying Game Shenanigans" thread would actually be fun, but too few people on these forums play them to get any number of posts.

I JUST REALIZED I CANNOT READ!
  • My friends and I are investigating the potential of using Burning Wheel to run a superhero game.
    It seems like that would take quite a bit of work to adapt. I'm not sure what exactly you want out of BW specifically, but if you just want a story-focused game to do supers with, I highly suggest checking out the aforementioned Icons.

Its not going to be as heavy rules-wise as Burning Wheel, but it has a little heft to it (at least more so than something like Primetime Adventures or In a Wicked Age). And if what you loved about Burning Wheel was the fact that you got stuff for dicking yourself over, it has that in all manner of superhero flavors. Write your archnemesis into the story to dick yourself over? Artha. Dick yourself over with social obligations (ala Superman) or social stigma (ala X-men)? Artha. Maybe you were just too busy saving the world to keep your day job and now your fucking rent is due? Artha.

And what do you do with the game's Artha? Well, standard stuff like getting bonuses on rolls, or stunting your powers (i.e. the classic, "using superspeed to make a fucking tornado somehow"), but, my favorite, you can use them to just fuggin' retcon the comic. Like, oh yeah, I spend a point and of course there's a Bat-Plane. There always was. Or oh no, I'm not the last kryptonian, that was a case of unreliable narrator, bitches.

And, of course, the ever popular "retconning your own death". Spend enough points, and you too can play your character's secret government clone, bullshit time duplicate, alternate reality twin, or I just fucking escaped the bowels of Apokolips off-screen somehow and now I'm back, sorry guys, don't worry about it.