This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

3D Printer vs (Holy-fuck-thats-a-lot-of) Computer

edited August 2011 in Technology
So this morning, my mom asked me how much the 3D printer I've been talking about buying was going to be. I told her it was going to be a little over $1300 for the printer plus an accessory or two (frostruder and a couple of spindles for the plastics). Her jaw dropped and she went into a tirade over how expensive it was. Once a year, I make a big purchase using some of my biannual tuition disbursement (the money from my loans and FAFSA that's left over after the school takes it's cut); last year it was "Go to PAX Prime", the year before it was "Buy a Nintendo DS", and the year before it was "Buy a new laptop".

Anyway, So to prove how committed I was with buying the printer, I went on NewEgg and built a computer for around $1300.

Well, my plan has sort of backfired on me.
I'm now staring down a list of parts for a screaming machine, complete with a sweet 24" monitor. This rig is made even sweeter by the fact that my gaming laptop has a broken screen that will cost me $169 to replace. I have it hooked up to a monitor and it's acting as a desktop right now. Even better is that I have a firewire card that I know works with my audio equipment, which then eliminated the need for me to use a separate machine for recording Friday Night Party Line.

/_\ So much for commitment.

However, the problem I face if I get this bitchin machine is, what I think, a major loss of face. I've been pretty much talking non-stop about getting this printer, at home and at work. In addition, I was planning on using the printer to print custom gifts for the relatives I like and for fab-ing parts for my arduino projects.

It's not that I don't want to get the printer (if I could have my way, I'd get both) but this is a reeeaally good machine and it would last me until I graduate (three years) in terms of gaming performance.

*Sigh*

I dunno, what would you guys do?

Here's a link to the parts list.

Comments

• As awesome as a 3D printer is, a geek can't live without a computer. Maybe it's just me, but getting a 3D printer without an awesome computer is like being a homeless bum with a Ferrari and no gas and no food.

Also, if you build a computer on Newegg it should last you 5 years, not three. Also, Dell Ultrasharp, but you knew that already.
  • edited August 2011
    Maybe it's just me, but getting a 3D printer without an awesome computer is like being a homeless bum with a Ferrari and no gas and no food.

Also, if you build a computer on Newegg it should last you 5 years, not three.
    Wait, so are you saying you can have a computer that is up to 5 years old (if it was bought on Newegg) and get a 3D printer? How many years does it take for a computer to lose the "awesome" label, at which point you must buy a new one rather than buying the 3D printer? Scottbot, your parameters are requested!

No srsly tho, I would get a 3D printer. My desktop computer was last upgraded 2006 or 2007, my primary computer is a netbook, and I really don't need anything else. I'm currently looking into a 3D printer and have no desire to replace any of my computers until one dies.

However, all I need is a terminal and Python for most of my stuff. My gaming needs are satisfied IRL more than virtually these days, with the exception of the occasional 360 or PS3 game. You are probably in a very different situation.
    Post edited by Byron on
  • Wait, so are you saying you can have a computer that is up to 5 years old (if it was bought on Newegg) and get a 3D printer? How many years does it take for a computer to lose the "awesome" label, at which point you must buy a new one rather than buying the 3D printer? Scottbot, your parameters are requested!
    No. I'm saying a geek has gotta have a computer, period. If your computers are all fail, getting a new one is top priority! Not having one is geek doom. Not to mention the fact that you need a good working computer to support a 3D printer.

Separately from that, if you build a computer on Newegg, it should last you 5 years. I built my first computer on Newegg in 1999. I'm on my third one.
  • edited August 2011
    I'm not interested in buying a 3D printer. So I recently bought a PC for half that price. I got a GTX 560Ti with that.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • My computer is made of donated parts from friends, it runs Half-Life 2 on full graphics.
  • Also, Dell Ultrasharp, but you knew that already.
    Yeah, but that nearly doubles the price of the monitor. Is the difference really that great?
    However, all I need is a terminal and Python for most of my stuff. My gaming needs are satisfied IRL more than virtually these days, with the exception of the occasional 360 or PS3 game. You are probably in a very different situation.
    Yeeeah... I'd be doing a lot of gaming.
  • edited August 2011
    Yeah, but that nearly doubles the price of the monitor. Is the difference really that great?
    To be honest, If what you're buying suits your needs, go with it. My monitor's specs are very close to the specs of an ultrasharp, and as a human being, I do not have the visual acuity for it to cause a noticeable difference, but for a few features I don't need and wouldn't use anyway, and this one was roughly half the price. Sure, if you want to go "oooh, but mine's an ultrasharp", well, whatever, go for it, but if you don't have any pressing need and that monitor is good for what you want, I'd advise you to go for that over the ultrasharp.

Cue Scott Telling me why I'm enormously wrong because ultrasharp.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • No, because Ultrasharp.
  • You should get a 7200rpm hard drive.
  • You should get a 7200rpm hard drive.
    No, because Ultrasharp.
  • Dude, computer prices fall faster than 3D printer prices. Buy the printer. If you already have something (the computer) then even if it is a bit crappy you should go for the new thing especially if it involves learning new stuff. You can play all the computer games you want when you retire after an awesome and long career of doing all the other awesome shit.
  • edited August 2011
    Dude, computer prices fall faster than 3D printer prices.
    Probably, but I'm pretty sure that both fall rather quickly.
    If you already have something (the computer) then even if it is a bit crappy you should go for the new thing
    It depends on just how crappy it is.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • It depends on just how crappy it is.
    Also depends on what you need. You can build a pretty badass computer for like $400 or so dollars if you already have most of the peripherals and don't need an uber video card.
  • The 3D printer can make you money.

For example, some of the Rep Rap 3D printers require printed plastic parts, which is a bit of a catch 22.

People with 3D printers buy the printing plastic, print out full sets of Rep Rap parts (from the open source blueprints) and sell those parts to people looking to build their own 3D printers.

This is probably not the only way to make money from a 3D printer.

What ways will your computer offset its own price? :)
  • What ways will your computer offset its own price? :)
    Bitcoin Mining.
  • edited August 2011
    Bitcoin Mining.
    This might be valid if you can find enough idiots to buy them and have no compunctions about taking their money in exchange for your worthless digital cookies.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • The 3D printer can make you money.
    Well, I can start taking on some of the video editing work my dad gets from MIT and other places.

You know what? I'm gonna make TWO big purchases this year. I'll buy one of them with this disbursement and one of them when the spring disbursement comes around.

Seeing as my laptop screen is cracked, rather than putting the money in fixing it, I think I'm gonna buy the computer first.
  • Seeing as my laptop screen is cracked, rather than putting the money in fixing it, I think I'm gonna buy the computer first.
    I agree, go with the computer. You can always get the Printer later, and really, getting the printer right now provides no utility over getting the computer right now, at least, that you won't gain later on anyway.
  • If you get a 3D Printer, can I send you OBJ files for you to print?
  • edited August 2011
    If you get a 3D Printer, can I send you OBJ files for you to print?
    Yes... All I'd have to do is convert it to STL using Blender or maybe Maya.(contemplates Guns of Icarus or CreaVures figurines...)
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Oh man, I kind of want a 3d printer now. Warhammer 40k conversions would be over nine thousand easier.
  • CreaVures figurines
    We made a Rolly Print for Kickstarter Prizes. The funny thing is that most of the other characters are super difficult to print. They have spikes or long tails or wings which makes it more difficult.
  • Oh man, I kind of want a 3d printer now. Warhammer 40k conversions would be over nine thousand easier.
    I looked into it. The resolution probably won't be high enough for another year or so.
    I looked into it. The resolution probably won't be high enough for another year or so.
    That just means your figurines are way bigger than the opponent, so you get a +5 advantage ... to painting them.
  • I'd probably use such a thing in conjunction with 3d modelling to press out vehicle parts instead of infantry.
  • I would love to print me some gaming figurines, but I really need to wait till someone has a really good "shop" for buying satisfactory fantasy models to print. One day, I will model some sort of 2,000+ figure battle for my table-top game. One day...
  • edited October 2011
    I do believe the obvious use (all though I am surprised no one else has mentioned it) is printing your own Lego's.
    Post edited by SuperPichu on
  • I would love to print me some gaming figurines, but I really need to wait till someone has a really good "shop" for buying satisfactory fantasy models to print. One day, I will model some sort of 2,000+ figure battle for my table-top game. One day...
    The other day, me and a friend counted that I am in possession of 107 little plastic ships and 15 little plastic monsters. We say we're going to build Civ-style game of epic proportions just to use these, though chances of that occurring are tragically low.
  • But 3D printer and print out awesome computer
  • Heh, this thread is kinda moot. I already bought and built my computer.